• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MSUK Guitarists?

ReggieC

My guitar set up advice consists of one sentence:

"I'd raise the bridge, file down the nut and take the buzz out of the low E" Ok I know it's 20 odd years old and only applies to one particular model of Fender but it's stuck with me all this time lol

My guitar set up advice consists of one sentence:

"I'd raise the bridge, file down the nut and take the buzz out of the low E" Ok I know it's 20 odd years old and only applies to one particular model of Fender but it's stuck with me all this time lol

Ha Ha! a few years ago I had to set up nearly every mexican strat that came through the door of our shop before we could sell them...some of these were shockingly unplayable. They seemed to of sorted the issues now though, and most I see tend to play well enough out the box.  Although they never seem to put enough tension on the tremolo springs, so the tension on the springs pulls the bridge up high causing a string action you could limbo under...you would think they could get that right in the factory it takes a screwdriver and about 30 seconds to do  :shockingscary:

• 2 weeks later...

Had this from Gibson today:

Hi Tim,

You bass appear to be an Epiphone Power Bass probably made in the period 1986-88, my guess is 1988. Please find below the guitar bass specs:

Power Bass

• 1986-1995
  • 1 split pickup & 1 jazz pickup
  • Bolt-on maple neck
  • Rosewood fretboard with dot inlays
  • 20 frets
  • Explorer style headstock
  • String-thru-body bridge
  • Epiphone die-cast tuners
  • No pickguard
  • Black hardware
  • 2 Vol. 1 Tone
  • 34" scale
  • 1.65" nut width

Body material:

• Laminated alder/maple 1986-1989
  • Solid maple body 1990-1995

Colors:

• Ebony
  • White
  • Red

Regards,

Marcelo Pineda

Customer Service

Ah thats good- at least Gibson customer service is on the ball...shame about the rest of the company at the moment! - If you didn't know they have been busted several times and heavily fined for using illegal woods, and as for the complete shambles of their UK distribution, my god, talk about shooting themselves in their foot!.....not even going to mention there quality control at the moment (or lack of)  :shockingscary:

I'd not heard about that. Shocking behaviour, how the mighty are fallen! 

Yeah,  think they like to keep that quiet..not good having your factory raided by the FBI in full on battle dress and sub machine guns :sweeeet:

Yeah,  think they like to keep that quiet..not good having your factory raided by the FBI in full on battle dress and sub machine guns :sweeeet:

Bit heavy-handed of the feds though, I mean I know they're called axes but a guitar is hardly a deadly weapon lol

Bit heavy-handed of the feds though, I mean I know they're called axes but a guitar is hardly a deadly weapon lol

Ha Ha! yeah bit much really. Did you know that you also need to get a 'special' passport for your guitar if you're travelling abroad with it?! It's true If your guitar is made of older woods that are now endangered species eg. Brazilian rosewood, some ebonys etc. You can get done for illegal importing/exporting of woods that are on the endangered list- ridiculous  I was reading in our trade magazine at work and they worry that it's really going to effect a lot of businesses that deal in vintage instruments.

Edited by scrumpy jack

That is why I will never own a Gibson :lol:

The last Gibson we had in our shop was just awful...okay the pickups sounded nice but the quality of the finish was worse than a

Don't see me travlin' the world with my bass. Unless I wake up tomorrow able to play like Jaco, Cliff or Phil lol

Thought I would show you guys my guitar project!

Soo I brought a kit from thorman as a little practise setup guitar/ project fun guitar http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_eguitar_kit_tstyle.htm

Then i found a bargin a set of Fender American Vintage telecaster pickups, normally these cost around

• Like 1

That's looking like it's going to be a nice Tele  :thumbsup:  I have got a lovely piece of burled walnut, that I have been meaning to make into a Telecaster body for years...will get around to it someday  :whistling:

• Like 1

I got bored last weekend, so dug out my old Squier and did this to it

58084_10200729089577089_351009440_n.jpg

Put some single coils back into it with a tone cap change. Sounds so much better and looks so much better than before! Used it at my last gig and it sounded as good as the other guitarists Manson :D

• Like 1

I play guitar but ive been out of action for abit as the arm i injured is the arm i strum so somtimes its to painfull to play, Ive just broken my Epiphone les pual two :(

How did you break it?

it fell during the night not sure how and snaped the neck 

You can get broken necks repaired, or depending on the break repair it yourself. Price wise for a pro to repair it would cost around

On the topic of neck repairs, my dad has an old vox phantom MKIV, the teardrop shaped one. Neck was bent to one side the back over to the other. Is it repairable?

It such a rare guitar would be nice to get it playable again.

He managed to pick up another neck from a later model but had to sand quite a but from the base of the neck to make it fit so it looks pretty poor. Luckily he didnt touch the body to make it fit...

Edited by mayzie12

Difficult one to answer on a guitar that age. Theoretically a twisted neck is repairable, but it depends on the amount it's twisted (amongst other factors). There are a few methods for fixing a twisted neck- unfortunately neither is a long term fix really.

First method is heat treating the wood to make it supple and twisting it back again- now this is where the guitars age will affect the outcome- the wood on an old guitar could be extremely dry, so it may break... if it does twist back flat again, it will only be a matter of time before it re-twists itself back to where it was (that twist happened over a number of years so the wood will of retained that 'memory' and will happily revert back to it!

The other method is a lot more brutal and involves removing the fretboard and planing and sanding the top of the neck flat again...which is a lot of work and the back of the neck profile will never be quite right. I would personally leave it alone and keep it as a family heirloom, and to be honest the majority of guitars from that era don't play very well compared to modern guitars anyway - unless you spend serious amounts of cash on them!

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys. i play the trumpet very well and i have an electric sg guitar that i somtimes play, im not very good at all at the guitar but i want to play this song at a gettogether in just over a month. would i be able to learn this well enough to play in time for the 25th of june? remember i cant play the guitar currently. heres a link to what i want to play. thanks http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/biffy_clyro/pocket_tab_1212970id_31012013date.htm

hi guys. i play the trumpet very well and i have an electric sg guitar that i somtimes play, im not very good at all at the guitar but i want to play this song at a gettogether in just over a month. would i be able to learn this well enough to play in time for the 25th of june? remember i cant play the guitar currently. heres a link to what i want to play. thanks http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/biffy_clyro/pocket_tab_1212970id_31012013date.htm

Okay, it's actually pretty simple but it's in an alternate tuning, so you will need to re-tune your guitar- but it looks like the main chord shapes you need to learn are A, E and D okay there's more to it than that, but if you can learn those three you're not going to be to far off. - It doesn't matter if you learn them in the alternate tuning, standard tuning will do, but it won't sound like the tune. But learn those 3 chords shapes and learn to change between them. Try strumming 4 times for each chord, when your confidant you can change between each chord without having to stop strumming your nearly there! Any questions please ask, I used to teach guitar for a living as well as selling them  :thumbsup:

Will have a listen to the track and play have a play through the tune later to see how it sounds- as a lot of the tabs people post on ultimate guitar (or whatever) can be so completely wrong! - If I get time I may do a little video, so you can see and hear what it should sound like.