• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

DreXeL's 1:8 Hyper SC project.

Took it for a proper bash this afternoon at an old disused quarry, and it took it in it's stride, including being launched about 15ft in the air and landing on it's roof, and then taking a hit directly on the front after another bad landing from a similar height. I'm getting used to the handling now too and it is huge fun, long controllable high speed drifts, it's great. It handles nicely in the air too, with much less parachuting than I was expecting.

Absolutely love it :good:

Edited by DreXeL

your soldering looks like its getting worse :lol: it goes likes the clappers tho

Lol, I haven't re-soldered that since it was on my Muggy, I am a *little* better now ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Had some great fun with it today at a BMX track, it just lapped up the abuse and came back begging for more :D It does always go nose down though, even when I stay on the throttle. More weight needed at the rear? Anyway, I just posted a vid here if anyone's interested:

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/153289-abuse-at-stockwood-bmx-track/

Just been out to give this thing some more abuse, I swear it's indestructible :D No breakages at all despite some silly air off a skate ramp. Unfortunately the fun was cut short by my motor giving up, it appears to have lost a phase :( I'll strip it down and investigate, but if it's dead I may find myself replacing it with a Sirius 1717 ;) Anyway, here's a vid of some of the abuse (apologies for the quality, the video on my Son's phone isn't the best):

EDIT: Investigated the motor problem, was simply a bad connection on one of the bullets :)

Edited by DreXeL

you've done a good job of it mate, very impressive :good:

You can't beat a 1:8 SC for strength, you can pretty much beat them to death and take them home in once piece lol well perhaps not the shells :whistling:

• Like 1

Bit of an update. I changed the pinion for a 22T, gearing seems absolutely perfect now. Acceleration hasn't really been affected too much, it's actually more controllable with less snaking, top speed is much improved of course, and if anything my motor temps are a little cooler than before. Theoretical top speed according to RC Calc is now ~55mph, plenty for a basher :D

Oh, and still not a single breakage to report. Still absolutely loving this thing :good:

If you haven't broken it, your not bashing it hard enough lol ...... had mine out today, broke the shell in two, ripped a tooth off a pinion, destroyed a set of foams in my wheels (gotta love 6s on a 2200kv motor xD ) oh and had a awkward landing and broke a lower rear arm ............. but i had soo much fun destroying it! lol fingers crossed there will be some vids up later.

• 2 weeks later...

Been having some more fun with this today, actually had a couple of (minor) breakages: a body mount, and the screws holding the lower rear bumper mount. Hardly the end of the world, wasn't taking it easy either:

:whistling:

Edited by DreXeL
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a bit of an update to this. Been enjoying it and abusing it without any real breakages, but unfortunately the motor decided to give up the ghost at a bash yesterday. It started cogging really badly then stopped completely and I saw smoke coming from under the shell. I assumed it was the battery at first so I took the shell off (rather quickly lol) and could see the smoke was coming from the motor.

To be fair it hasn't been 100% right since I nearly killed it in my muggy at the Jam in the summer, so I'm amazed it's lasted this long. As luck would have it I spotted a Castle 1515 in the for sale section, so it is now on it's way to me.

Should give me a decent performance boost :D

Installed the 2200kv 1515 today and gave it a quick blast up and down the road. Currently on 22/46 gearing and 5s (good for around 67mph theoretically) and even though I had next to zero grip thanks to wet tarmac I can already tell it's going to be crazy :D

Unfortunately my fun was cut short due to the rear diff input drive cup deciding to part company with the truck. Managed to find the dogbone but couldn't find the cup anywhere. Still, should have another one sorted so as soon as it arrives I can take it for a proper bash :good:

Edited by DreXeL

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it's awesome but haven't really had the chance to see what it can really do with the lack of grip in the current weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Shell and wheels are from an Associated SC8.

Shell: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/associated-sc8-clear-bodyshell/rc-car-products/35047

Wheels: http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/AS89402.html

Beadlocks for the above wheels: http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/AS89409.html

Edited by DreXeL