• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Constant Stalling - just broke in.

xerof

Don't know if to go 20% or 25%. I'm happy with the power I got out of it at 16% so think I'm going to go with 20%. Will I be ok to run on the thunder tiger R2 plugs? Or will I need to get a cooler one.

http://www.tiger.com.tw/product/9281.html

This one is a medium one if the description is correct. I have 3 spare so ideally id like to keep them if possible. The fuel I'm getting is HPI powerfuel, which I'm told is like opti fuel?

if you got a 21 engine it will love 25%,once you get away from model techinics your be ok,bryons is ace,but you get a usa galleon,so hotfire full 5 litters{it a bryons copy,and didnt need any tuneing when i swapped over to it}.leave your glows plugs as they are,novarossi and os can be fussey about which plugs you use,but mostley i use a 6 in most engines{outher than the ones mentioned}

Thanks for that, so chuffed that I can keep the plugs. Am I correct that they are medium heat? and I guess medium heat is good for 25%? It's a 28 engine btw.

Asked them about tuning, said it was

Edited by xerof

there wont be a problem but your have to retune for 25% just tune from where your settings are at,if it dont run as it should with the new feul,i had no end of problem with friends engines when they used model technics{i ve only ever used it for plane engines,that didnt rev as high as buggy engines}contasnt retunes ect,i buy nice engines now and find if i run bryons one tune and that it for months,no fiddleing about all the time.

Xerof, if you are still having the problem, make sure the clutchbell teeth and spur gear teeth are properly meshed. I had the "stalling problem after 3-5 mins" once and it was because the mesh was too tight - the spur gear would stick/hesitate just long enough to cause the engine to stall. It always fired up again straight away.

I tried all sorts - changing plugs and tuning the LSN/HSN/idle to get the bugger to run before checking the mesh.

Hope this helps

BobD

Oh my god. Just had it outside on the new stuff. This thing is amazinggggg seriously. It's deffo rich on low end. Pinch test was 5 seconds. But it's not stalled more than twice. This is is stupid fast I love it. Temps running at 80-90*c on idle. When I do a fast run and stop it revs high for a few secs then idles perfect. What is this a sign of guys?

Really happy. Packing away and going to the park soon can't wait.

Glad to hear you got it sorted at last :thumbsup: thought the new juice would sort it! the rich low end is probably why it takes a little while to drop back down to idle, a small tweak and all will be good. Then you will probably crash it and have to re-build it! :xd:

Don't say that bugger. I want a couple of tanks out of it before I crash it :)

Got some new tyres since I've managed to smooth of the ones that come with it. Gonna change them over once I've got it running even better

This byrons fuel smells a bit fishy when it burns lol. Used the thunder tiger r2 plug on it. Wasn't shifting over 90* c so guessing its still very rich :))) so if I lean the HSN out more then might even fix the rev issue cause it'll lean out the LSN :)

I don't recall Byron's smelling fishy, are sure have you haven't been dropping fish fingers in the cooling head or something :xd: I think your probably right to lean out your HSN a touch more...just keep an eye on your smoke trail.

Plenty of smoke at low end. Can see some smoke when in high end, I am finding it a little hard to see the smoke than the other fuel, but deffo smoke and it's running cool. I can hear it and it still sounds too rich. Gonna have another go tomorrow. It's running cool so no worrys about it being lean. I'm well happy with it now and on the road to getting it running nice.

About the fish fingers, made me chuckle. Just smelt it when Id started it haha. Might of been a mixture of the old fuel, and after run oil lol.

Cleaned the 1:1 version this morning, then after a nice polish etc etc decided to get the Buggy out. Tweaked a little bit more, just closed the idle gap and that solved the high rev :) - ticks over perfect after full throttle and then slam on the brakes.

I checked the HSN, it's 1 TURN from being fully closed. This was making me panic just a little bit, but there is PLENTY of smoke coming out at high throttle, tbh I think I need to lean the HSN a little more as there's too much smoke coming out at certain points, cause it sometimes WANTS to stall but doesnt. Pinch test is absolutly fine, leaned out the LSN a little too and acceloration was loads better. 3-4 seconds on pinch test, sometimes 5! but I packed up and gave it a right good clean down. Stripped the whole thing appart from the engine and middle part. Wheels are bold :) - Bloody concreate :P

I'm really happy with this now, the fuel has deffo done the job. Temps are now up to 100-110*C sometimes dropping below 100*C at idle. PLENTY of smoke during HIGH and low. Like I say, think I need to lean HSN a little more.

Could someone answer me this, is 1 Turn till fully closed a little worrying? Even though plenty of smoke? Will just make adjustments at 1/18 next time I get it out if it's smokingggg

Wot= wide open throttle ie going down a straight long enough to get the max speed out of it.

if it starts to stutter at top speed it's too lean check tuning guide videos they do help

And if you mean nailed it do you mean from a standing start That would be lsn get it to wot first tune the Hsn so it runs ok then sort out the lsn don't do it the other way round you'll be chasing the tune all weak that way

Edited by fatboyneil

Yeah I've watched countless videos over and over and over again. I did remember after I fell back asleep. Basically yesterday, it was standing still. Just did like straight to 50% for a second then 100%. Soon as u go 100% there's a gush of smoke. I've only touched the LSN once and moved it 1/8 which helped overall Performance. It's just the fact there's still a load of smoke, and I'm 1 turn from being closed on the HSN.

EDIT:

Temps was at 110*C after a full throttle run. Cooling down to 100*C idle.

When I went richer, it was stalling at high speed runs, the last adjustment I made stopped it stalling at high throttle.

Edited by xerof

Without seeing it it's hard to say what to do but sounds like you've got the hang of it just sounds weird about the Hsn you should be able to richen it up without it stalling and the loads of smoke at 100% sounds like its lean and burning the oil contents of the fuel just a thought though and like the guids say it ain't all about smoke trails or temps but a mix of everything it's just knowing what to look for

(null)

I'd rather just do it to double check. I always know I'm 1 turn from flush. Besides it'll give me another go at experiencing the various noises etc during tuning :)

Just a shame I gotta wait till weekend. Just to dark to even try by time I finish work :(