• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rising Fighting Pinion for Super Stock BZ.

Woody1545

Hi,

I've fitted a 19T pinion and a Super Stock BZ motor into my sons Rising Fighter. As you'd imagine it's a bit faster than the old silver can. 

I was under the impression that the 19T would give better top end speed and slightly less acceleration/torque than the standard 17T pinion. 

However, I've started reading about gear ratios and max rpm and all that and now I'm a bit confused! 

Can anyone give me a definitive on which size pinion will give the best performance? 

Thanks for your help

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Woody,

Yes, in theory a larger pinion will give a higher top speed, but whether that constitutes higher  performance depends on how you use the car and your opinion.

The pinned article linked below does a pretty good job at explaining it all:

One thing I would consider is that a larger pinion will place more load on the motor. This isn't necessarily an issue on large, flat surfaces with low resistance such as concrete or tarmac but if you are running on tough surfaces such as grass or sand, or the area it is being used in is too small to achieve top speed, it would be better to use the smaller 17t pinion.  You don't have many gearing options with a rising fighter so I would suggest trying both pinion sizes and deciding which is best for your use case based on how you think it does. If the motor gets too hot to touch or the ESC cuts out with the 19t, that's usually a sign that the gearing is too tall for the conditions the car is being used in and a smaller pinion should be used.