• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Total novice looking for advice on what to buy.

Gmac71

Hi all,

My 10 year old son and i have decided that we want to get into RC Cars as a hobby and something that him and i can do together. We are looking some advice on what to buy for starting out. I have been looking at buying something like this 112878 - E-FIRESTORM 10T FLUX RTR. 

It will mostly be for bashing and getting used to control at first but our hope is as we improve to join a club and things and upgrade our gear. Can you please advise me if this is a good buy or what would you recommend?.

The firestorm flux is highly rated on here you could do much worse.

But i dont think its race worthy, if racing is on the cards see what clubs are local to you and copy whatever the guys ther run. Its the easiest way to get in since they will have tried lots of things and settled on the best. So if thers 8 rcs and 5 of them are durango go for the durango. Unless you like to be different which is always good. 

Schumacher not only make good race rcs ther also british which is a big plus and one of the oldest rc companies around. They look good too. 

But bashing ( rc thrashing ) a race rc will be fragile more than not. 

The firestorm is a sensible choice, people are always looking to buy one so if you chose to trade in for another it should sell easily. 

But i would put the money to a 4x4 short course truck like slash 4x4 or losi scte in good used condition. You could do much more with them. The losi scte might actually be a great choice for bashing in the week and raced at the ends. 

Yeah your current choice is a good buy if these questions are answered then we know the suitability of the purchase ;)

• Where will you run?
  • Do you need batteries and a charger?  Do you know about lipo? (I would allow for lipo in the future at the least)
  • Do you have a tx rx already?
  • Planning on sharing the model between Father and Son?
  • Can you solder? (not necessary but something every RC owner ends up doing)
  •  
  • 112878 - E-FIRESTORM 10T FLUX RTR.  is currently available for 320euro ;)

The Firestorm will always be a good choice for bashing. Knowing how fickle ten-year-olds can be I would buy the Firestorm and if the interest holds, think about a second vehicle along the lines of what RCbutcher said - what's in use at the local clubs if he wants to progress into racing. You'll also both have something to play with at the same time and sort out a birthday/xmas pressie at the same time maybe :)