• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Nitro engine sealing

carlcurtis83

i did this christmas eve on my T-15 but i also sealed the exaust manifold and head good.gif

If I remember rightly, the T-15 is a side exit exhaust and flat so yeah thats fine (good idea considering the flat gaskets are pants) we do it with the petrol models. However on round exhaust exit ports there is no need as you get the silicone gaskets.

• Like 1

year flat mount minifold on them mate , i found a BIIIIIG oil leak through the pullstart backing plate so that got seald up well lol but when i checked for air leaks days earlier there was none what so ever, the exaust was abit leaky too and abit of oil from the head so i gave it a full strip down and clean and seal up good.gif

Edited by mixmasterjay

Nice guide will help loads of people.

A couple of small additions.

Make sure all the surfaces are clean and free from fuel, or oil residue as the sealant won`t stick to oily surfaces.

When you tighten up the parts with sealant, in particular the backplate, as seen in the pics, don`t worry about wiping away the bead which pushes out, wait for everything to dry and it`ll pull of neatly in one go.

Some engines will also leak air through the carb needles, these can be sealed using this or other similar products

Associated AS1105 Green Slime

i did all the needle valves awell toogood.gif

Thats cool, what the slime does, is not set like the sealant so the seal is maintained even if the needle settings need to be changedgood.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Something I found today that might help people;

I used an old fishtank air pump to test for leaks. Connected it up to the fuel line... easier to see where the leaks are with it sat on the table, and no chance of getting nitro in the mouth.

:good:

• 1 month later...

ye great tutorial. also if you have a low quality engine like the one in one of my cars your might need to seal the heatsink on to prevent air leaks (crazy i know) so use same concept with sealent and what not

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...