• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How to repair a pullstart

Ziggy122

I've become very quick at recoiling and re-inserting the bobbin into pullstarts

This method im about to show i learnt from my modelshop :o and off other forums

First of all You will need

DSC00173.jpg

1x Pullstart ( bobin with string attached - Pullstart casing - Coiled Spring)

2x thin and small cable ties

1x needle nose pliers

1x Small screwdriver (in the diagram i have a cocktail stick and a slightly big screwdriver due to not having a small screwdriver)

First of all

Place the coil of spring inside the bobbin - and make sure you have the spring the right way that the hook on the other end is able to slot into the casing

Its most annoying to coil and to find it dont fit cause its on backwards

Keep the spring as tight as possible by keeping a fair amount of pressure on it with ur thumb

Once the coil is on fairly tight - place 2 cable ties at oppersite ends - like so

DSC00161.jpg

You will need to keep about 1" inch off the end to allow you to place the end back in

DSC00162.jpg

Simply place the bobbin inside the case - the 2 thin cable ties may make it a snug fit, just apply some gentle pressure

At this point - you will to have NO string on the bobbin except a small amount like a 1/4 turn. Less there is the better :)

Simply using the small screwdriver just push the clip on the end of the spring into the holding spot on the casing. This can be a little fidly if you have to much or not enough spring avaible, each pullstart is different

Once the hook is on - Cut the 1 cable tie at a time, pulling out the remain of the cable tie with the needle nose pliers - it may be hard todo - just keep wiggling and tugging with some pressure and it will slowly come out :)

Now do the same again for the other cable tie - however be careful - as you cut this one as the bobbing will spin - depending on how tight the spring is.

So just keep you thumb on the bobbin. Once the 2nd cable tie is removed

Slowly let a bit of pressure off - and the string at this point will start recoiling back in :)

the diagram shows mine recoiling back in

DSC00165.jpg

Right so now the string has recoiled in but not all the way

and looks like this

DSC00163.jpg

Well done - you repaired the pullstart :) it will work again now - but that floppy cord needs to be sorted

this next process is called Retensioning

Start off by pulling out the cord about 1 1/2 times of the circumference of the bobbing

I used a cocktail stick here - but a small screwdriver works the same

pull the string out just before it leaves the casing - but after the

DSC00166.jpg

And pull it to the point where the pull handle will sit as normal

DSC00167.jpg

While keeping the pressure on the bobbing

using the small screwdriver

loop the string around manually like so

DSC00168.jpg

Once the String has gone around once - you may have a little left - just pull the handle to take it outside the casing

DSC00163.jpg

Let you thumb off slowly

And the cord shud now sit comfortably where it shud do like new :)

DSC00172.jpg

Re:attach any other accessory that some pullstarts have that prevent the bobbing popping out. In the example used a Hyper .21 pullstart - there is no protection.

Just give the pullstarts a few test tugs (just using ur thumb to be sure it works without jumping out) to make sure it works fine :)

You may find the starter is now very stiff. This is due to the fact all the greasy black stuff on the spring is now on your hands. Just simply down the centre of the bobbin - Just put a few drops of WD40 in - a few pulls - a few more drops - a few pulls. Till the starters moves freely again

I hope this has helped you repair that pullstart

First time it takes about 30mins - but the more its done the quicker it is :)

I can currently do a pullstart in 7 - 10 mins :)

Ziggy

ALL images used are taken by me - all rights reserve with me

All Rights belong to Ziggy122

This is for use only on MSUK-Forums + Je spares Forum

Please contact me via PM if u wish to use this guide outside this forums

Thanks

Ziggy

• Like 2

another top Guide mate ;) nice one :good:

pull starts are an enemy for lots :P

Lets make it a bit easier for em :P

Thanks tho for complament :P

Ziggy

good guide but its practically identical to one alexi sent me off of got nirto just with different pictures

i cant sum1 elses guide

But yes - its the same method

its my own writing tho :)

and my own images

Ziggy

• 2 months later...
just repaired mine there now thanks ziggy

It does work :)

Just take care on the pullstart

They never are 100% once they break

SO just dont go mad on it

Ziggy

• 2 weeks later...

Great Guide Zig, just a shame it didn't work for me. :(

I was starting to run my savvy in, I couldn't start it so my Dad had a go, he pulled the cord straight out :rolleyes: So going to JE Spares tomorrow morning to pick one up. Don't really want to go Roto coz when my mates Hyper 7 pullstart snapped, I posted for him and he was advised not to go roto, so he went starter box :P

I don't know why but it just wont work. Going to have to buy a new one. I can't get the bobbin to work right. Its snapped some of the plastic off so its nackered really. If it ever happens again,I'll take another look at the guide. :good:

Ben

When the spring retainer breaks on the bobbin - then it is screwed mate....

However save the spring it might work in another pullstart :)

I prefer pullstarts as i know what the engine is doing :)

Just dont pull to hard (just quick sharp and short pulls - its not a lawnmower....)

Ziggy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
DAm why dint i read this when trying to repair myne :( lost out on 17.99 cause i couldent get that dam spring back in lol nice bit off info here Thanks ziggy

repair the other one

And have it as a spare

Incase ur new one goes, u can just pop it off - and bolt on the pre-repaired and away yah go :)

Ziggy

And if someone is watching you can give them the good old 'Heres one i prepared earlier' :P:lol:

rofl

Nah, the magic is repairing it there and then :)

Ziggy

Rob the one from your light 'switch' in the bathroom :P

PMSL!!

I cant see why u cant change the cord :)

Just knot one end - feed it throught the bobbin, and tie the other into the handle using the clip if it uses a clip, i've never had to string a pullstart :lol:

But i honestly cant see why it cant be done :)

Ziggy

I've heard of a few people doing this and it makes me laugh everty time, it must be near enough the same thickness so go to b&q and get yourself 10 years of pull start cord :lol:

marty :)

rofl

I can see it now on ebay rofl

10 Years of Nitro Pullstart cord freshly washed with Daz :lol:

Ziggy

Ziggy,

Just wanna say thanks for this Tutorial and sharing your wisdom

I now have a spare pull start for the H7

Chris :whistling:

:) No problem mate

Im here to help

Just for a note - if im not busy or planning to be busy, i do do some repairs :)

Ziggy