• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

5 minutes ago, Jumper said:

wow that is super obvious XD they might have a similar problem to arrma where they have a high turn over of employees. if they dont get trained well in the assembly then they will mess up like this :( pretty poor customer service. 

So far I’ve been recommended replacement parts by the seller and free postage, which is fine I guess.

HPI direct at present just listing name replacement parts. Which I’m still in talks with - it’s a bit sketch.

The clutch bell has really nackered the flywheel, to the point where the flywheel isn’t running perfectly true... hopefully not damaged the engine! 178C7498-F14B-48C4-89E6-73BDC4D3A062.png.fab3a5afc4a26db4250c9821fdba69e4.png

11 hours ago, Dawesy said:

All I’ve read about it the clutches being made of cheese, the diff cups breaking, servos breaking and the wheels snapping/coming off!

I changed my diff cups for irc's which for past several years had some stick can't fault them, changed servos, screw set because hpi screws are rubbish or at least them in my tt was, but for the clutch, servos and wheels coming off you've described nearly every rc I have. 😀

4 hours ago, Dawesy said:

So far I’ve been recommended replacement parts by the seller and free postage, which is fine I guess.

HPI direct at present just listing name replacement parts. Which I’m still in talks with - it’s a bit sketch.

The clutch bell has really nackered the flywheel, to the point where the flywheel isn’t running perfectly true... hopefully not damaged the engine! 178C7498-F14B-48C4-89E6-73BDC4D3A062.png.fab3a5afc4a26db4250c9821fdba69e4.png

Is that a 2 shoe clutch? I got rid of that and got 3 pin flywheel and had the 3 shoe setup.

1 hour ago, Blueshark said:

Hi all, sharing my MBX5 EP converted old skool Trophy Truck. Cheers.

One of my best conversions!

20200525_142502.jpg

20200525_142610.jpg

20200525_142848.jpg

20200525_142428.jpg

Love the colour, is that the tamiya colour shift paint?

7 hours ago, rockerlee said:

Love the colour, is that the tamiya colour shift paint?

Thanks mate.
Yes, spot-on.

Tamiya PS-46 with black base layer.

i tried silver on my DF-03 crawler conversion and it didn’t turn out too great.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rockerlee said:

Is that a 2 shoe clutch? I got rid of that and got 3 pin flywheel and had the 3 shoe setup.

Hey mate it’s what the car came with - I’d only had it 2 weeks when this happened. I’d considered upgrading to a 3 shoe later down the line when needed...

I mentioned earlier that I’d contacted HPI and that I thought they were simply giving me a parts list; I take that back. The nice man (or woman) I’ve been dealing with via email was simply stating all the parts, asking me to check further, as they have confirmed that the incorrect bearing was installed from factory, this has caused damage to the clutch bell, flywheel, potentially spur gear and the cone spacer behind the fly (which was causing the untrue run out), not the crank...

He’s putting through a warrantee claim, and sending me the replacement parts free of charges.

My faith has been restored in HPI, I didn’t expect even a response, but to admit full liability, help me assess the parts for potential damage and then (I assume) send me the replacement parts is stellar service in my opinion!

Cant wait time get this back bashing! 

thanks J

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dawesy said:

Hey mate it’s what the car came with - I’d only had it 2 weeks when this happened. I’d considered upgrading to a 3 shoe later down the line when needed...

I mentioned earlier that I’d contacted HPI and that I thought they were simply giving me a parts list; I take that back. The nice man (or woman) I’ve been dealing with via email was simply stating all the parts, asking me to check further, as they have confirmed that the incorrect bearing was installed from factory, this has caused damage to the clutch bell, flywheel, potentially spur gear and the cone spacer behind the fly (which was causing the untrue run out), not the crank...

He’s putting through a warrantee claim, and sending me the replacement parts free of charges.

My faith has been restored in HPI, I didn’t expect even a response, but to admit full liability, help me assess the parts for potential damage and then (I assume) send me the replacement parts is stellar service in my opinion!

thanks J

If you get anymore grief once it's 'fixed' change to the 3 shoe from HB racing. They're great.

3 shoe Clutch system:

#67525 - Flywheel (3pins/Black)

#101199 - RACING CLUTCH SHOES (3PCS)

#101201 - RACING CLUTCH SPRINGS (3PCS)

#HBC8059 - FLYWHEEL NUT (LIGHTNING SERIES)

#B121 or #B021 (or similar) Ball bearing 5x10x4mm

Or optional 3 shoe springs

#67220 - Clutch Springs (1.1mm/3pcs) for later clutch release at higher rpm.

Optional alloy 3 shoes

#101778 - ALUM. RACING CLUTCH SHOES GUNMETAL (3PCS)

If you then need instructions on how to fit them go here:

https://hbracing.com/en/downloads-en/

Scroll down to the D8T 1/8 Nitro Off-Road 4WD Truggy instruction manual

It should be on page 36.

Edited by dazp1976

3 hours ago, Dawesy said:

thanks J

That's a bit of good news, personally I've never had any problems with hpi customer service but not had any contact with them for past few years, I know they have changed hand a couple times, but it's good to know they are still on the ball, I've heard from a Lhs that they are making a big comeback, but we will see.

24 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

If you get anymore grief once it's 'fixed' change to the 3 shoe from HB racing. They're great.

3 shoe Clutch system:

#67525 - Flywheel (3pins/Black)

#101199 - RACING CLUTCH SHOES (3PCS)

#101201 - RACING CLUTCH SPRINGS (3PCS)

#HBC8059 - FLYWHEEL NUT (LIGHTNING SERIES)

#B121 or #B021 (or similar) Ball bearing 5x10x4mm

Or optional 3 shoe springs

#67220 - Clutch Springs (1.1mm/3pcs) for later clutch release at higher rpm.

Optional alloy 3 shoes

#101778 - ALUM. RACING CLUTCH SHOES GUNMETAL (3PCS)

If you then need instructions on how to fit them go here:

https://hbracing.com/en/downloads-en/

Scroll down to the D8T 1/8 Nitro Off-Road 4WD Truggy instruction manual

It should be on page 36.

I think that was 1 of the first upgrades I did on my tt then the servo.

11 hours ago, rockerlee said:

I think that was 1 of the first upgrades I did on my tt then the servo.

Yep the difference is huge.

I've found a complete set.

Not that cheap anymore but I'd say it's worth it for the difference and the lifespan:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Complete-for-Hb-Hot-Bodies-D817-D819-204322-114759-C8029-C8059-86077/372843869617?hash=item56cf39f5b1:g:0XQAAOSweS5dz99t

14 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

Yep the difference is huge.

I've found a complete set.

Not that cheap anymore but I'd say it's worth it for the difference and the lifespan:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Complete-for-Hb-Hot-Bodies-D817-D819-204322-114759-C8029-C8059-86077/372843869617?hash=item56cf39f5b1:g:0XQAAOSweS5dz99t

Yes definitely 👍

• 2 months later...

Hey there fellow trophy owners, I am new to the hobby and  recently bought an hpi trophy 3.5. My current problem is the front drive shaft(dogbone)? Keeps popping out of the cup?is this a fitment issue or likely a broken part is this a common issue? Thanks in advance 👍

2 hours ago, joe grinstead said:

Hey there fellow trophy owners, I am new to the hobby and  recently bought an hpi trophy 3.5. My current problem is the front drive shaft(dogbone)? Keeps popping out of the cup?is this a fitment issue or likely a broken part is this a common issue? Thanks in advance 👍

If i remember right i had to put an 1/8 inch sliver of fuel tube into each of the drive cups to stop that happening on my truggy the tubing just held the dogbone snuggly 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

If i remember right i had to put an 1/8 inch sliver of fuel tube into each of the drive cups to stop that happening on my truggy the tubing just held the dogbone snuggly 

Sorry to be a pain but please could you elaborate a little as not sure what you mean? 

On 07/08/2020 at 23:49, joe grinstead said:

That's a new one on me for the fronts! Normally only the rears.

Is it used or new?

If used then it may have different ones in off another buggy.

Try limiting your suspension travel using the grub screws in the arms so they don't lower too far down (droop)

I'd suggest trying the vorza cvd's  if all else fails. They are 92mm length. The trophy are 91mm.

I'll see if I still have both around and look at the lengths.

You can get just the shafts for those Vorza ones too BUT the axles are smaller so have to buy the entire units first off as you can't mix/match the 2 joints.

• 3 months later...