• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Breaking-in your nitro engine.

Samari

Definitely keep rich on the first few tanks.

The 'pinch' is tightest when new, and extra oil and extra cool are 2 conditions necessary.

I actually ran 3 tanks through this engine before I started 'driving it slowly'.

Al.

. ---> engine is 8 Litres old now,. hence the question. sorry

I broke her in by heat cycling not idling away

No idle at cold and burn expensive fuel to lube. Got an excellent fit,. still way tight but engine is really coming into its own now.

Edited by Deafty

Hmm not sure if you follow me or not,.

I'm dialed in good and proper. But I am curious as to whether or not I should lean My LSN + HSN whilst on my first 2-3 tanks. Reason:--takes ages to heat up and I feel like I'm wasting fuel instead of enjoying at least 1 of those tanks,. Once up to temp richen back to dialed in settings and adjust for weather,.etc,.

She's blubbery as **** onthe first tank,. lol

Edited by Deafty

On the same page now!!

YES, if it isn't 'yodelling' - too lean - and isn't getting too hot, then there's no problem leaning a tad on the first couple of tanks, then opening up as she warms up IMO.

The problem is leaning too much - not enough lubrication - and leaving it - overheating.

As you're well-familiar with the possible pitfalls, it sounds fine.

Al.

• 1 month later...

hi guys thought i would ask a question,on starting my trophy 3.5 today for the first time al was going fine until 30 seconds running i heard a pop and engine cut out,so i adjusted the idle speed needle,started it up again and after a few times it was fine,it ran through a full tank sounded really nice,little bit of smoke and a little bit of excess fuel from the exhaust,so after it finished its first tank i let it cool down for a bit,then refilled the tank with fuel,switched on went to prime the engine and the pull start was jammed tight,i didnt attempt to pull any more as it was not budging . Any ideas??

Probably got your piston stuck at TDC (top dead centre) did you rotate piston to BDC (Bottom Dead Centre) when left to cool? (You should always do this)

-->Remove engine heatsink and button with glow plug in it. (1st the plug and plate should look wet from your first rich tank)

-->Is the piston at the top?

If so dont panic, there are simple solutions.

-->You should be able to rotate the fly wheel now which will probably push the piston sleeve up and out of the Engine casing which will then allow more "room" for the piston to rotate back down to BDC. Dont use a lot of force!"

-->If that doesn't work heat the enitire engine up evenly with a hairdryer or heat gun. But don't over do it! Then it should become easier to rotate the fly wheel.

Just be careful,clean,tidy and ensure the sleeve goes back to its original position with the little groove thats cut out on the top of the sleeve.

If not the case. You probably just flooded the engine when priming and will need to either open it up as above or remove glow plug. put clean rage over engine top and pull the pullstar a few time to "blow" out the excess fuel.

NOTE:// when reinstalling a glow plug with HEatsink attached to engine:-->It'S a good idea to use a piece of fuel tubing . Place glow plug end in fuel tube and then gently lower it into position and turn gently. This avoids potential "threading" of your engine button. Then tighten with spanner as per normal.

Sounds like you would like to read the tuning Bible lol:--> Heres the LINK

Edited by Deafty

• 2 months later...

Hi I'm going to buy the hobao hyper 7 tq2 .21 from this site as well as the fuel but after reading we should use 2-5% less of what we intend to use which is best to use for breaking the engine in with.

Sorry for sounding like a newbie but last rc I had was in 1984.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question breaking in new engine running all good for half tank then vut and wouldn't fire again had fuel everything, push a little more fuel through fired for half a second then died again. Checked flooding etc what we think? Glow plug? Still glows red but heard of these losing heat on run ins?

• Like 1

Quick question breaking in new engine running all good for half tank then vut and wouldn't fire again had fuel everything, push a little more fuel through fired for half a second then died again. Checked flooding etc what we think? Glow plug? Still glows red but heard of these losing heat on run ins?

Lean out the hsn a little could just b too much fuel getting to engine

• 1 month later...

hi guys just bought my hyper 7 tq and on first tank on break in it would idle away nicely and then rev violently. is this normal for a break in on a new engine? I keep stopping the engine once it rev'ed up. any suggestions would be helpfully as a total noob here.

Edited by columbo

• 1 month later...

hi guys just bought my hyper 7 tq and on first tank on break in it would idle away nicely and then rev violently. is this normal for a break in on a new engine? I keep stopping the engine once it rev'ed up. any suggestions would be helpfully as a total noob here.

Its normal for a new engine

It will be erratic

Dont worry abiut it even tho its scary

It will get better and smoother as you run it in :)

Keep at it

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, need you help guys! Complete noob to nitro.......

After attempting to run my Thunder Tiger in a week or so ago (I had to give in due to fading light) I tried to pick up where I left off tonight. I returned the HSN to the closed position and then opened it 3 turns like the manual says. I attached the glow starter to the plug and gave the pull start a few tugs but got nothing.

I removed the plug to check this was ok and it was so I re-installed the plug and tried again. Again nothing! When I stopped the car after last weeks running in I did everything you guys suggest to ensure the engine hasn't seized or stopped TDC.

Can you guys advise where I am going wrong?

Thanks,

Phil

Are the rest of the settings as they should be LSN..IDLE etc.. Check out the Thunder tiger settings and start from there..

• 2 months later...

Sorry if im posting this in the wrong place, im recently purchased a Hype7 TQ2 .28 currently running it in on a block wheels off the ground, i have not managed to idle it through an entire tank as yet but techincally its on its second tank now as i have had to refill, im finding that it will not idol for more than 30-40secs unless i leave the glow starter connected, it will then run without fault.

when at idol the wheels are static and not spinning, intial start up the idol adjustment was a little high wheels turning and the car attempting to pull away i have set to 1 - 1.5mm gap as per recomendations.

really noobish question im thinking that the glow plug is possibly knackered, but wanted to confirm if i should be adjusting any other settings, i can counter the stall by trimming the throttle up a little but was worried that in break in i shouldnt be applying throttle??

any help / pointers greatly appreciated.

Sorry if im posting this in the wrong place, im recently purchased a Hype7 TQ2 .28 currently running it in on a block wheels off the ground, i have not managed to idle it through an entire tank as yet but techincally its on its second tank now as i have had to refill, im finding that it will not idol for more than 30-40secs unless i leave the glow starter connected, it will then run without fault.

when at idol the wheels are static and not spinning, intial start up the idol adjustment was a little high wheels turning and the car attempting to pull away i have set to 1 - 1.5mm gap as per recomendations.

really noobish question im thinking that the glow plug is possibly knackered, but wanted to confirm if i should be adjusting any other settings, i can counter the stall by trimming the throttle up a little but was worried that in break in i shouldnt be applying throttle??

any help / pointers greatly appreciated.

New glo plug needed probably

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i bought a Kyosho Inferno Neo ST a week ago with a Nova Rossi .21 engine, the manual recommends breaking it in using %25 nitro fuel (using model technics) as bought in package from modelsport. my manual suggests breaking it in for 30 minutes...... 

now reading this and from what i was told before hand this seems like to short a time, unless they fully break them in at the factory now? however still planning to run at least 5 tanks through it at MAX 50% throttle before i take it out and go nuts with it. just to be on the safe side. 

not sure what the manufacturer is thinking basing a break in at 30 minutes...unless they are making the break in period less as not to put off amateurs by telling them they need to spend

• 7 months later...

Evening everyone.

Just want to start by saying a big thanks to the forum so far. It's helped me choose my Hyper TQ2 .21 that arrived today :-)

So with the knowledge I've gathered from the really helpful posts, I went to run through my first tank this evening on a block which was fine to begin with. Then all of a sudden it would start revving so much I didn't think it was going to stop accelerating, so pinched the fuel pipe in order to cut the engine out.

I think I've read an earlier post saying don't be scared when this happens, but it's quite hard not to 'reach for the fuel pipe' when it's not advised to rev a new engine, especially with the revs it was getting to.

I am a nitro newbie, so please excuse my nervousness around the whole revving scenario :-)

Just don't want to be doing any untold damage?

Many thanks again.

Simmo

Edited by Simmo78