• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Breaking-in your nitro engine.

Samari

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

all very interesting and will take note of alot of these threads when running in and tuning my jba 28 im installing to my xtm mammoth st. but can anybody tell me the running in method when it is just a new piston and liner installed to an older engine ?

• 1 month later...

Hi, we've got a new Condor Nitro buggy Team infinity .18 nitro engine and after having used two tanks of fuel to break it in found it had stuck at TDC. Have solved this problem now but now can't get it started at all! Any ideas?? We've tried the ideas at the top of this thread but to no avail!

• 1 month later...

Check the Glow Plug, does the Charger make it Glow?

Try fresh nitro Fuel, if you have left the lid off this or it's old it won't work.

Make sure you tip out the oil collected in the exhaust.

Blow down the vent pipe on the exhaust to help prime the carb, you should see the air bubble move as you blow?

Andy

• 1 month later...

I've had to put a new piston and liner in my Tamiya FS12 engine. So far I'm half way through the 3rd tank , it takes about 25-30 minutes at half throttle. The engine is slowly starting to be able to rev a bit more. Is this normal ? I'm running it rich ? a fair bit of oil coming out of the exhaust making damp patches on the ground where it stands and plenty of smoke when it does rev. but it still only drives at a fast trundle.

Paul

Edited by Leeds Paul

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

re breaking in engines in two cars this weekend, possibly today and I'm gonna do it factory style.

heres the thing.

my trx 3.3 engine breakin is a pain. 1/4 throttle 2 secs for 1st tank, 1/2 throttle 2sec for second. 1/2 for 3 secs for 3rd without engaging 2nd gear for 4th and I think full throttle for 5 secs for final tank.

my hpi g3 engine require me to run it for a tak off its wheels then for the 2nd and 3rd tank I run it in a circle on 1/2 throttle.

go figure.

why is it two totally different ways of breaking an engine in when if you think about it with these two engines theres not massive amounts of difference?

I got talking to my nitro flyer friend yesterday whilst his mate was there and it turns out his mate flys displays and allsorts. he recommended "stage tuning" my engine to run it in.

I think he said like this.

Wheels off ground

1st tank; 1/4 throttle (on rim is easyer) and gradually lean out the HSN til it starts to gasp for fuel then richen it out gradually untill it starts spluttering the other way. Keep doing this for the tank.

2nd tank; 1/2 throttle and same as above,

3rd tank, same as above

4th 3/4 throttle same as above.

wheels on floor, tune up then thrash.

afdter he said all that he then went on to say, once you do all that, go home, go out the day after and you will end up having to do it all again cos nitro's are a bl**dy pain lol.

hes going brushless in cars and planes now. he says with lipo you dont need a tool kit the same size as an AA van. ( think he might be right there)

I got talking to my nitro flyer friend yesterday whilst his mate was there and it turns out his mate flys displays and allsorts. he recommended "stage tuning" my engine to run it in.

I think he said like this.

Wheels off ground

1st tank; 1/4 throttle (on rim is easyer) and gradually lean out the HSN til it starts to gasp for fuel then richen it out gradually untill it starts spluttering the other way. Keep doing this for the tank.

2nd tank; 1/2 throttle and same as above,

3rd tank, same as above

4th 3/4 throttle same as above.

wheels on floor, tune up then thrash.

afdter he said all that he then went on to say, once you do all that, go home, go out the day after and you will end up having to do it all again cos nitro's are a bl**dy pain lol.

hes going brushless in cars and planes now. he says with lipo you dont need a tool kit the same size as an AA van. ( think he might be right there)

Thats far from the best way to break in an engine !!!!

if you want easy just follow the traxxas method for all your engines,and break in on nitros is WHEELS ON THE GROUND !!! for the best results

Then you have heat cycling and an array of other methods but for bash engines ive found that the traxxas method is one of the easyest and efficient ways to get a good break in.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi all just got a cen gst 7.7 off here and on the 6th tank it chucked a conrod so it has a new rod,piston,liner and crank and then half a tank through it,,this was before i brought the truck lol,,,i know on it and need to break her in ,, ive seen you all talkng about smallish engines on here and theres some great infogood.gif but what will be the best way to break in this beast of a engine as i dont want to be snapping a rod or owt lol anyhelpsmilie.gif would be great ......

thanks in advance folks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there I started breaking in my hyper 7 buggy on the weekend today I tried starting it up it started but wen I took the glow torch out it would turn off after a minute can anyone help me thanks the glow plug has a glow

Possibly coz the engines cold. When youve started it give it some revs while holding it still. Then take rhe starter out. It may help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there I started breaking in my hyper 7 buggy on the weekend today I tried starting it up it started but wen I took the glow torch out it would turn off after a minute can anyone help me thanks the glow plug has a glow

If you left it idling for a minute then it probably got loaded with fuel and cut out. Try blipping the throttle every 10 seconds or so to clear the engine out or turn up the idle a little more. You can turn it back down once you start running the car on the ground.

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Just breaking in my hobao hyper 7 mach 28. My first nitro buggy in ten years. Read alot about probs with the break in process. This was the way i did it with no probs at all.

Hope this helps somebody.

1. Four drops of fuel into engine before i did anything and left for ten minutes.

2. Added 25% optimax fuel to tank and primed to carb.

3.Heated engine with hairdrier to roughly 150 degrees.

4.Fitted Glowplug and then fitted Charger.

5. Four pullstarts later engine started, not pulling pullstart any further than 6 inches.Remove glowcharger.

6. Ran buggy on low revs occasionally blipping throttle no more than 1/4 throttle.

7. Ran further two tanks like this then fourth tank very small adjustment to hsn then another two tanks like this.

8. Running fine now and just starting to gradually tune engine for optimum fuelling.

:thumbsup: