• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Changing make of fuel

welsh

Hello spoke to LHS today and took my car in for repairs and he noticed some 16% tornado fuel in my bag. They sold me the car with 16% MT fuel. He said i shouldn't have changed the fuel make as once its run in they like the same fuel (they only sell MT fuel i thinks) So should you stick to the same fuel, i read here that MT fuel is crap and very oily, he laughed at that and said it had a mix of castor and synthetic oil and was good as it didnt oil up the pull start.

So is he correct or just trying to sell me MT fuel? I alos asked about upping from 16% to 20% and said this was a bad idea as the car takes more air in and there is extra wear o nthe piston. IS this correct.

Sorry for basic noob questions but wnated make sure.

thanks

Welsh

Changing fuel brands will not effect the engine at all, if you are sticking with the same Nitro % you probably won't even need to do much with regards tuning.

The increased wear from 16% to 20% is negeleble, especially if you've tuned the engine properly. I am guessing that the LHS makes more on the 16% MT fuel hence why he's recommending it. If you are going to change to 20% reset the needles in the Carb and then re tune the engine to suit the new higher nitro content. It's advisable to not go full throttle for the first two tanks when switching to a higher nitro content.

Chris

^^ Spot on mate ^^

Also its debated that once u go on a higher percentage that u stay on it as well - its something todo with liner expanding more at the same heat level due to high nitro %

Ziggy

ok thanks for the info, so if you go for higher % fuel then you have to through like a mini breaking in process? What would the difference between 16 and 20% fuel, is will go quicker, less economical, hotter ? thanks for the info, always like to check what these hobby shops say is actually true

ok thanks for the info, so if you go for higher % fuel then you have to through like a mini breaking in process? What would the difference between 16 and 20% fuel, is will go quicker, less economical, hotter ? thanks for the info, always like to check what these hobby shops say is actually true

You should notice a small increase in the power of the engine. The two tanks I suggested at to 1, tune your engine to the new fuel, and 2, get your engine used to a higher nitro content. It is a sort of mini break in process.

As for economy and heat I can't say there will be that much of a difference, If you are pretty inexperienced with regards tuning it may be advisable to get a Temp gun just to make sure the engine isn't reaching any silly temps with the new fuel.

You can go up and back down in nitro content without any detrement to the piston and liner,another urban legend thats just took on a life of its own.The liner expands with heat and will expand exactly the same way with 16% as with say 30% as long as the temperature of the engine is the same for each type.These liners dont have a memory made from some super metal,its brass and chromium liner simple physics and nitromethane doesn't make it expand differently cos there's more or less of it in the fuel.It sounds as though the guy in the shop is the one who made up these myths and is just trying to sell you the MT fuel as Chris said.... :)

The new MT is a pile of crap (it's more orange than the yellow of the old MT) it basically does jack cooling wise so half way through a tank my carb would get vapor lock. I've switched from 16%MT to 20% byrons and the difference is incredible, I can actually start my engine without getting a blister, it roars instead of whining and as an added bonus it doesn't smell half as bad. I'm not saying byrons is the only good fuel, I'm just saying you can do better than MT.

Yesterday i went down from 25% MT to 20% Sidewinder fuel, all i had to do with lean out the HSN and LSN half a turn to retune.

The piston/liner expanding is done by temp not the nitro content, if you tune two engine on on 16% and one on 30% to both be running at 250f. The liners would of expanded the same !

Yesterday i went down from 25% MT to 20% Sidewinder fuel, all i had to do with lean out the HSN and LSN half a turn to retune.

The piston/liner expanding is done by temp not the nitro content, if you tune two engine on on 16% and one on 30% to both be running at 250f. The liners would of expanded the same !

I have to disagree with you mate on your tuning saying to lean it on less nitro,nitro content actually cools the engine so the less nitro content the more you have to richen, im sure others on here will agree if you have been into nitro for years,

you are correct with your 2nd explaination though ;)

marty :)

I have to disagree with you mate on your tuning saying to lean it on less nitro,nitro content actually cools the engine so the less nitro content the more you have to richen, im sure others on here will agree if you have been into nitro for years,

you are correct with your 2nd explaination though

marty

Nitro cools ?? !! and here was me thinking that's what combusted !

From wiki

Nitromethane has a laminar combustion velocity of approx. 0.5 m/s, somewhat higher than gasoline, thus making it suitable for high speed engines. It also has a somewhat higher flame temperature of about 2400

you are correct with your 2nd explaination though ;)

marty :)

The 5% drop in nitro is normally replaced by Castor Oil etc So i've always had to lean my LSN and HSN. Last night the buggey wouldnt even move with the settings i had tuned in for 25% because it was running rich and gobbing out oil.

Not got round to doing the Savage yet, still waiting for one bloody part which should of been here yesterday (Never came today either). But it might be difference with that car!