• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

engine temps

An ideal range is between 220-250 F.What engine have you got..? The smaller engines do tend to run at hotter temps than the big blocks from .21 upwards,I have a .15 engine that runs happily at the upper end of the scale at 265 F and thats quite happy there with no bubbling or boiling fuel in the carb.I'd say 270 F is the absolute max for safety and no two engines are the same so it's always a good idea to have a temp gun.... :good:

Yep carls right mate small blocks are higher on temps than big blocks my t15 engine hits about 270f and is happy where as the pro.28 in the havoc loves it at 240f to 250f they do all differ from one another and glow plug grade and fuel combination all are key elements to a perfect running engine at lower temps.

marty :)

Yep its to hot mate, if you haven't got a temp guage the spit method is ok and gets you around the point of a good tune, get it up to running temp and put some spit on the head if it boils instantly/dances around straight away its way to hot, you want it to sizzle about 2/3 seconds after its been applied, if it doesn't sizzle at all its running to rich.

marty :)

The engine you have in the Virus is a Force.21 with Ansmanns own anodised head and markings.Martins spot on,you need to richen your HSN until you get the desired running temp.Invest in a temp gun mate,they're invaluable when your pretty new to the hobby... :good:

Temps vary as said above, anything 240 and below is fine. Some engines can run hotter, but you really shouldnt exceed 270f. Its quoted in alot of manuals that this is the danger zone.

I have the SH .28 and it doesnt like to run hot, yet my Thunder Tiger .21 is happiest 260f

Temps vary as said above, anything 240 and below is fine

Just to point out incase of any confusion,below 200 F is not good for the engine either,the only time these temps should be seen in normal running is when an engine is being broke in as its not at full throttle and running really rich.It wouldn't be wise to run around at 170 F all day as the piston and liner will wear prematurely through the liner not expanding enough.So a good range is 220-250 F,allowing for different engines no higher than 270 F and thats after full WOT runs... :good:

ops yes, as Mr T said dont want it too low :)

I have a friend who has run a Savage for years and his temp after high speed runs is normally 305f and his truck is still going fine and its used atleast twice a week.

If the car sounds healthy, your getting smoke and the fuel is not boiling theres really nothing much to worry about. If its smoking that means the engine is getting lubed. If it sounds healthy and its going well then, that says it all really.

Some people will advise not to go over 240f. Myself and others run up around the 260~270f trouble free. It depends on how you feel about tunning the car.

I belive most engine are made and limits are placed to bring a certain safety margin in to cover warrenty etc and these limits are always on the cautious side to protect the manufacture

You want to take it from glow plug. Select on your temp gun show hottest reading if it has that feature and get it as close to the glow plug (pointing down where you insert the glow starter) as you can.

Max temp - 270f - 132.2c

normal 210f to 250f - 98.8c to 121.1c

Minimum 200f - 93.3c

Just to add ... i was out with my Hyper tonight, was getting temps on 240 - 255 after speed runs, which is great, loads of smoke. I used to run it 265+, which was a bit nippier but i'd rather loose a little speed and have the engine last longer :D

Anyway, my servo horn has worn now so i have to wait on a new one coming :(

Edited by Danny-B-