• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Savage X SS start up problems

Koutsouk

Hello all

I am new to the RC Nitro world but old to RC with electric cars. I need major help. I have just finished (5 days ago) installing my Savage X SS (baught from Modelsport UK) and It seems that the engine does not want to start. I've tried all the tips I could fing on the Internet from HPI forum and savage forums, youtube etc. The engine won't start. I have even tried today warming the engine with a hairdier which someone mentioned in another forum. Engine sounded better but still did not start. Have in mind that in Greece the weather now is very warm anyway.

Other info: I baught from a local shop fuel 16%. Do you think this is the reason? I doubt it.

I just broke my pull start (cord came off after about 10 pulls x 3 days). I have ordered an HPI rotostart 2 set from Modelsport and I have to wait for the delivery untill I try again.

Other info:

- start plug and glow plug work fine, I've made the test and it glows just fine.

- I pull the start 3 times with the exaust pluged to get the fuel into the engine before placing the start plug.

- I've took the engine out of the car 4 times now to clean all the fuel from it. Never had any fuel coming out of the head. (maybe this is the problem?

Any help will be welcome :(

Cheers

- today, before I've made any try to start, i tried to blow directly into the fuel line to get more fuel into the engine. It looked like the fuel went in the engine fine.

Has anyone ever faced such a tuff engine? Is there any posibility that it never starts?

-

My buggy rarely starts and it started twice the other day after using a paint stripper for a minute or two.

Have you checked the engine settings against the recommended run in settings? Sometimes engines aren't set quite right.

The fuel percentage won't make a difference as to whether it'll start or not.

by the way i would recommend a higher % fuel for the savage, probably 20% for break in, and then 25% Byron gen2 after beak in.

About the problem...you haven't touched any of the needles have you? There should be 3 needles.

i dont think yur priming the engine enough mate. Try taking the tube off the exhaust off and blow down it till the fuel goes through the fuel tube to the carb, then give it another small blow so that the fuel enters the carb.

2nd , try adjusting the LSN needle 1/8th clockwise to lean the LSN mix as its set far too rich which will make it harder to start.

And as said above, you really need a higher %age nitro, 20% at lowest and pref 25%

As Spoonie said,the nitro percentage wont make any difference to wether it starts and runs,the problem is probably a settings issue.Most factory settings are a little over zelous when it comes to engine break in and HPI are no different,try leaning the LSN a touch and check that the idle is set right also some require the throttle to be open a tad more than usual to get it to fire up initially..... :)

It sounds dry

I'd consider priming it throughly - but take care NOT to flood it

If u flood it - deflood the engine :)

I'd also leave the engine out in the sun for about 10 mins ( dont take ur eye off it)

To allow it to heat up

If the engine is sorta Clunky as ur turning it over - Slacken the glowplug 1/8th of a turn - and start it - if it starts - make sure u quickly tighten the plug up

Ziggy

It sounds dry

I'd consider priming it throughly - but take care NOT to flood it

If u flood it - deflood the engine :)

I'd also leave the engine out in the sun for about 10 mins ( dont take ur eye off it)

To allow it to heat up

If the engine is sorta Clunky as ur turning it over - Slacken the glowplug 1/8th of a turn - and start it - if it starts - make sure u quickly tighten the plug up

Ziggy

I've tried all your tips before I wrote my post to this forum. I have searched for the same problem on google and I found all kind of tips including the ones you gave me. Thanx for the help realy. It should be a needle setting thing I guess. No other explanation....

At the time, I have destroyed my pull start and I am waiting a rotostart from modelsport to try again.

can you please inform me which is the way to check if the fuel is inserting the carb?

Cheers

I think you're just being lazy and not pulling :)

Oh well, it should work with the rotostart...seems you have a lot of money to spend! :)

Good luck on it working

Harjun

This is the worst part. I don't realy have the money but this monster does not leave me any chance. What should I do if the pullstart lasts only for about 30 pulls?

Had to order the roto instead of a new pull start cause I believe it will help to start the car.

it is so furstrating to spend so much and not be able to run it dont you think?

Is it easier with the Roto or the pull start?

Initialy I was a fun of the pull start but not anymore.....

This is the worst part. I don't realy have the money but this monster does not leave me any chance. What should I do if the pullstart lasts only for about 30 pulls?

Had to order the roto instead of a new pull start cause I believe it will help to start the car.

it is so furstrating to spend so much and not be able to run it dont you think?

Is it easier with the Roto or the pull start?

Initialy I was a fun of the pull start but not anymore.....

you might aswell have got a starter box, but i personally think nothing beats the pull start.

you might aswell have got a starter box, but i personally think nothing beats the pull start.

Then you would've been stuck with a model you could'nt start and be 40-50 quid out of pocket,starter boxs wont work on a Savage or most other monster trucks for that matter with TVP chassis's.My GTX2 can use one as its based on the Lightning stadium chassis just wider and longer and a bit thicker,the Hobao Pirate MT Sport will take one and others with a buggy style chassis... :)

Have you checked if the flywheel is tight? the engine aint gonna turn over if the flywheel is not tight enough or come loose.

Have you checked if the flywheel is tight? the engine aint gonna turn over if the flywheel is not tight enough or come loose.

Good point spudski - I had this with one of my Nitros and couldn't figure out why it was a pig to start/keep running....then I found it.....! :)

Good point spudski - I had this with one of my Nitros and couldn't figure out why it was a pig to start/keep running....then I found it.....! :)

This is a tip I have not got before. I will try it certainly. Thanx for the help to all. I'll keep you posted for the monster.... By the way, it looks great! It is a nice MT and I can;t wait runing it.... ;)

The savage x ss motors are a bugger to start for the first couple of times.

I had to pull around 16k on the pull starter the first couple of times. :(

1. Blow into the tube that connects to the tank for make priming easier. Make sure the fuel does enter the engine sometimes it just goes upto the carb but not into the engine.

2 heat the engine up a bit.

3 then try it.

good luck :closedeyes:

• 1 year later...

Hello all

I am new to the RC Nitro world but old to RC with electric cars. I need major help. I have just finished (5 days ago) installing my Savage X SS (baught from Modelsport UK) and It seems that the engine does not want to start. I've tried all the tips I could fing on the Internet from HPI forum and savage forums, youtube etc. The engine won't start. I have even tried today warming the engine with a hairdier which someone mentioned in another forum. Engine sounded better but still did not start. Have in mind that in Greece the weather now is very warm anyway.

Other info: I baught from a local shop fuel 16%. Do you think this is the reason? I doubt it.

I just broke my pull start (cord came off after about 10 pulls x 3 days). I have ordered an HPI rotostart 2 set from Modelsport and I have to wait for the delivery untill I try again.

Other info:

- start plug and glow plug work fine, I've made the test and it glows just fine.

- I pull the start 3 times with the exaust pluged to get the fuel into the engine before placing the start plug.

- I've took the engine out of the car 4 times now to clean all the fuel from it. Never had any fuel coming out of the head. (maybe this is the problem?

Any help will be welcome :(

Cheers

- today, before I've made any try to start, i tried to blow directly into the fuel line to get more fuel into the engine. It looked like the fuel went in the engine fine.

Has anyone ever faced such a tuff engine? Is there any posibility that it never starts?

-

So what was the problem and how did u fix it?cuz i have the same problem now but it will some time start (after a day of bleeding hands and bad back :( )