• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Beginners FAQ

Danny-B-

Hi there Anthoop,

Many thanks for your reply re my starting problems with the HPI buggy, sorry for the tooth-pullingly painful video you endured! Unfortunately I've not been able to test it further because the electrics of the car now don't seem to work despite installing fresh batteries so have been on to the shop now to see what they can recommend. Had no idea these buggies were quite so much hard work but I'm hoping all the perseverance will eventually pay off one day so that I get to actually drive the ruddy thing!

Many thanks again, noobs like me must be the bane of you more experienced guys with all our novice questions but I think I can definitely speak for all noobs that we definitely appreciate it.

No problem fella....we were all new at one time and it can all seem complex and daunting...stick with it and things get easier. :)

Couple of things with your radio-

Having a 6 volt battery pack on the car is better than using AA batteries...(that is not your problem if you have tried using new AA...just a tip).

Have you tried re-binding the system? (Instructions should be in the manual).

Never a daft question and there is always someone around here that will try to help.

Hey Anthoop, thought you'd appreciate (!?) an update with my buggy woes as I although I've worked out why the electrics weren't working (the on/off switch box was knackered) the car is still behaving like a psychotic madman on steroids whenever I try and start it. Following the advised way of priming the engine (cover the exhaust and pull of the starter cord until fuel hits the carb) this method doesn't seem to pull fuel through at all. The only way I can ever get the bugger to start is to drop fuel straight into the carb as this self primes it apparently? All well and good as fuel does end up filling the fuel tube but if there is a problem with the fuel line/pump could it be this that's making the engine rev so inconsistently and making it so tricky to get under any control? Just spent yet another afternoon trying to get a tank of fuel through it and it's just not happening. The revving is so ridiculously mental and uncontrollable that I'm thinking surely something has to be wrong as opposed to me not knowing what I'm doing? On to HPI too so we'll see what they say but am sorely tempted just be rid of the damn thing and take up golf instead!

Hope others are out having fun with their RC's, maybe one day I'll actually get to take mine out for a drive too!?!

At least you got the radio fixed. :)

If the fuel is not moving when you have a finger on the end of the exhaust exit then it would point to a problem...and if there is a fuel supply problem then the engine will run erratically.

When the piston goes up and down it creates pressure in the exhaust and of course if you "seal" the end of the exhaust with your finger then there is only one place for that pressure to go, up the line to the fuel tank, if there is pressure in the fuel tank then fuel is forced along the line to the engine....if everything is working correctly...

There are many possible reasons why it may not be working correctly and you have to hunt the problem down..

First thing to try- remove the line from the exhaust and blow down it...if fuel now fills the line to the engine then the exhaust is leaking.

If the fuel does not move then there is a leak or blockage in the tank, lines or carb.

Try opening the throttle fully whilst attempting to prime (either method- blow or finger on exhaust)....if fuel is now supplied then either the carb settings are way too lean or there is a blockage.

Take up golf too...they are both great hobbies...but can be very challenging at times. :)

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Just installed a new throttle servo after the last one failed on me. But it seems that the controls are now opposite (acceleration on trans is brake on receiver) i have checked my servo connections and all appears correct. Can one tell me what im doing wrong?

Help

Just bought a HPI Trophy 3.5 . I'm trying to run in the engine, but it just won't idle properly. When it does run, it is very eractic.

I haven't adjusted any of the jets so are all as per the factory settings

Any suggestions?

When an engine is new it is generally quite tight (piston and sleeve)....so it is better to run in with a rich mixture because being richer will mean there is more oil lubricating the tight bits basically.

However the rich mixture will make the engine erratic, stall and possibly hard to start...quite normal and just one of the pains of running in a new engine.

Now, you could lean the LSN a tadge to make it run better (leaning the mixture) but what I would suggest is just to advance the throttle trim on the transmitter...this will increase the idle rpm.

Couple of other things you can do...if you have a temperature gun you can monitor the temp. by measuring at the glow plug and by wrapping the head in foil/sweat-band/old sock keep the temperature around 100 degree celcius.

You can also leave the glow warmer on, this will help keep the plug firing when running a rich mixture...

• Like 1

Hi guys sorry if I sound dumb but I'm new to rc I have got a nitro rc car and when I was using it before it lost all drive, it is running good as I've just had a shop set the carb and it was running fine until it lost drive, it revs fine but just doesn't move. Any help is much appreciated

Hi guys sorry if I sound dumb but I'm new to rc I have got a nitro rc car and when I was using it before it lost all drive, it is running good as I've just had a shop set the carb and it was running fine until it lost drive, it revs fine but just doesn't move. Any help is much appreciated

the screws holding the engine in could have come loose there for the engine might have moved out of place so check that if they have look up how to set the gear mesh properly otherwise you might cause more problems for yourself later on if its not that the clutch shoes might be worn so check those also check drive shafts  

Help

Just bought a HPI Trophy 3.5 . I'm trying to run in the engine, but it just won't idle properly. When it does run, it is very eractic.

I haven't adjusted any of the jets so are all as per the factory settings

Any suggestions?

That's great , I shall try and be patient .

Thanks

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi guys. I'm not all that new to nitro but I have been away from the hobby for a while and I think I've got a bit rusty lol. I've had a Mgt off ebay and it came with a Picco P3 monster. I've got it started and bottom to mid-range is sweet but when I try to go full throttle it just dies. I've tried going richer and leaner on  the HSN but I can't seem to get any improvement. Engine, exhaust and carb all seem sealed well.  Can anybody point me in right direction please?