• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas lipo charging time doubled

Tadas

Hello! Should I be worried that one of my batteries started to charge way longer than the other one? My setup is in the pic. I always balance charge. Both batteries have same temperature while charging or after use.  Should I start saving up for new battery or its +- normal?

422997G_1.jpg.3550f57e18c0d4c9f84b2835a5dbaf25.jpg  

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Could be a rogue cell, but you'll probably need a multimeter to check voltages because of the proprietary Traxxas plug. That's about the only reason I can think of. 

i can check voltages via traxxas app - all 4 of them shows the same....

I don't how with a traxxas plug but you can also check the internal resistance of each cell with a multimeter or the whole pack. This page has more information but a value less than 15mOhm per cell is good.

Obviously be careful when doing this not to short the battery.

1 hour ago, lorrylemming said:

I don't how with a traxxas plug but you can also check the internal resistance of each cell with a multimeter or the whole pack. This page has more information but a value less than 15mOhm per cell is good.

Obviously be careful when doing this not to short the battery.

does it matter if i measure with storage charge or full charge?

1 hour ago, Tadas said:

does it matter if i measure with storage charge or full charge?

Charge state won't affect the internal resistance so measure whenever. I forgot to link this page earlier.

https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/lipo-internal-resistance.html

• Like 1

As mentioned, test the cell voltages after a run. Could be wildly varying voltages? This would make the charge time longer due to trying to balance them. That's what I was driving at earlier. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tug said:

As mentioned, test the cell voltages after a run. Could be wildly varying voltages? This would make the charge time longer due to trying to balance them. That's what I was driving at earlier. 

thing is that charging time after run -> storage charge is +- the same for both, but storage charge -> full charge, that differs a lot. Ill make more pics with voltages after next run (waiting for parts atm).

On 16/08/2022 at 01:01, Tadas said:

thing is that charging time after run -> storage charge is +- the same for both, but storage charge -> full charge, that differs a lot. Ill make more pics with voltages after next run (waiting for parts atm).

Grab you a lipo tester 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/absima-battery-voltage-checker-and-balancer-434434

• Like 1

On 22/08/2022 at 03:38, Gampla said:

I get same info from Traxxas charger via BT. Yesterday during charging (storage charge -> full charge) iv monitored the progress. Since im always using balance charge - all cells were +- same voltage during charging. Charging took ~ 30-40min. Batteries were charging with 6-6.2A only last 5-10 mins amps were low ~0.6A. That time both batteries charged +- same time (5-7mins apart).  Its weird that huge charging difference doesn't happen every time... 

p.s. what's up with "enjoy your overpriced rc"? Some people like to spend money for better quality.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tadas said:

p.s. what's up with "enjoy your overpriced rc"? Some people like to spend money for better quality.  

Unfortunately dude, with Traxxas you often spend a lot more money and its definately not better quality, and thats coming from someone with my list of RCs…….

Its convenient and reliable for me however, thats why I have so much Traxxas stuff

On 23/08/2022 at 01:45, Tadas said:

I get same info from Traxxas charger via BT. Yesterday during charging (storage charge -> full charge) iv monitored the progress. Since im always using balance charge - all cells were +- same voltage during charging. Charging took ~ 30-40min. Batteries were charging with 6-6.2A only last 5-10 mins amps were low ~0.6A. That time both batteries charged +- same time (5-7mins apart).  Its weird that huge charging difference doesn't happen every time... 

Traxxas is like the supercar of the rc world you buy it for the branding when parts start breaking and it cost ££ to buy parts people like Tug whom moaned because a traxxas part costing £50 to buy. You brought that brand for which ever reason dont complain because of the price you signed up for it 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Gampla said:

dont complain because of the price you signed up for it 

Well if you are not here to help or comment in any helpful manner - please turn off the passive-aggressive bitch mode and politely **** off. Im not pretending that its cheap hobby, but i have newer complained about the prices.  

17 minutes ago, Tadas said:

Well if you are not here to help or comment in any helpful manner - please turn off the passive-aggressive bitch mode and politely **** off. Im not pretending that its cheap hobby, but i have newer complained about the prices.  

Did I ever mention you in That comment no so take your own advice 

On 25/08/2022 at 16:15, Kpowell911 said:

You literally quoted him….?

And I can quote you doesn't mean I'm talk to you I can quote you doesn't I'm talking to you. But sure

If you want a engineers point of view @Tadas batteries have different ranges most batteries will have a +/- 5% as different batches may have a different battery acid batch your charger is the same to you answer of oh my charger tells me the voltage via Bluetooth I wouldn't trust the battery hence why I suggested grab a independent battery tester but that's up to you, you do you end of question 

58 minutes ago, Gampla said:

And I can quote you doesn't mean I'm talk to you I can quote you doesn't I'm talking to you. But sure

If you want a engineers point of view @Tadas batteries have different ranges most batteries will have a +/- 5% as different batches may have a different battery acid batch your charger is the same to you answer of oh my charger tells me the voltage via Bluetooth I wouldn't trust the battery hence why I suggested grab a independent battery tester but that's up to you, you do you end of question 

You make less sense with each post...

8672e6fb04620cbcf72ab3b1222ae5b5.jpg.49003d50a3de189068f31a5e33b3bccb.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gampla said:

Isnt lithium a gas not an acid….?

Although I do agree a bluetooth value may not be the most reliable

Edited by Kpowell911