• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Xray XT2C 21 build thread. Budget stadium truck for racing.

1 hour ago, lorrylemming said:

After seeing windz1000r's thread and the excellent price these kits are going for I bought myself an Xray XT2. Some links below.

Windz's thread https://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/250961-thought-i-would-start-my-build-thread/

RD models https://rdmodels.co.uk/products/xray-xt2c21-2wd-1-10-electric-stadium-truck-carpet-edition-xr320204

MB models https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/XR320204-XRAY-XT2C-21-2WD-1-10-ELECTRIC-STADIUM-TRUCK-CARPET-EDITION

Only done the transmission so far, went together nicely, the diff is much better than my Schumacher buggies and it includes a 3 plate slipper in the box. The top shaft has some scuffs and a bit of sanding was needed on some plastic parts but nothing major. The biggest issue is Xray use different types of bearing in different places (oiled or greased, different seal types) and its not completely clear which one is which.

image.thumb.png.acb12866e1ae7c0e71853f3f8aae3393.png

Electronics plan is as follows:

• Futaba Rx to go with my current system
  • Hobbwing 10bl120
  • Banggood surpass 8.5t motor (still waiting on this)
  • Xpert RC SI-4431 servo (They're aren't many brushless servos designed for 6V so trying one of these out)
  • 2S short batteries that I already own

I've got a set of xray wheels as I've read Schumacher and Associated ST wheels rub, haven't picked any tyres yet.

I've got Schumacher wheels on mine and they don't rub btw 

But they do go together nice and yes the bearings confused me a bit aswell 

Nice! Getting a bit jealous of all these trucks! A shame they're not doing the dirt version for the same price, would have worked out not much more expensive than what I paid to convert by XB2C 2021 to an XB2D but with a whole other car to play with as well.

5 hours ago, ReggieC said:

Nice! Getting a bit jealous of all these trucks! A shame they're not doing the dirt version for the same price, would have worked out not much more expensive than what I paid to convert by XB2C 2021 to an XB2D but with a whole other car to play with as well.

Only difference on the dirt version is a ball diff 

There about £80 so its still cheaper to buy the carpet version 

Would love a stadium truck again and these look great value!

Not a racer though and run in areas that have many small stones, school running track and playing fields mainly, do these have a cover for the pinion/ spur?

They seem to be missing from the latest and greatest, which stops me from taking the plunge!

Look forward to seeing it complete.

Cheers

1 hour ago, SWF said:

Would love a stadium truck again and these look great value!

Not a racer though and run in areas that have many small stones, school running track and playing fields mainly, do these have a cover for the pinion/ spur?

They seem to be missing from the latest and greatest, which stops me from taking the plunge!

Look forward to seeing it complete.

Cheers

They don't but the buggy body can be used as a dust/dirt shield as you can velcrow  it to the chassis 

• Like 1

While the buggy body does cover the chassis, it does have holes/gaps for the steering arms etc. From the amount of dry grass that gets inside after a 5 min race, I wouldn’t trust it to keep out stones. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Borked said:

Looks like there’s 3D printer designs available for a gear cover, if you’ve got access to a printer. 

I’ll take a look at that, My Thingiverse?

Don’t have access to a printer, but there must be an online service?

Thanks for the eyes up!

14 hours ago, windz1000r said:

Only difference on the dirt version is a ball diff 

There about £80 so its still cheaper to buy the carpet version 

Not just the ball diff. 'Stand up' gearbox with different idler, different wishbones as the carpet spec clash with the spur with the dirt gearbox (although i assume the truck ones are longer than the buggy so would need to buy them anyway), softer and longer springs (luckily my job lot buy had some softer ones and I made up the difference with preload adjustment) as well as a few different roll centre/wheelbase spacers throughout the car.

Admittedly I didn't go the full hog with all the spacers and probably could have got away with just putting the ball diff in the laydown gearbox, but with grip a premium on the grass track I run on, I think i'd disadvantage myself a lot having a fair amount of weight further forward than a proper dirt set up.

9 minutes ago, ReggieC said:

Not just the ball diff. 'Stand up' gearbox with different idler, different wishbones as the carpet spec clash with the spur with the dirt gearbox (although i assume the truck ones are longer than the buggy so would need to buy them anyway), softer and longer springs (luckily my job lot buy had some softer ones and I made up the difference with preload adjustment) as well as a few different roll centre/wheelbase spacers throughout the car.

Admittedly I didn't go the full hog with all the spacers and probably could have got away with just putting the ball diff in the laydown gearbox, but with grip a premium on the grass track I run on, I think i'd disadvantage myself a lot having a fair amount of weight further forward than a proper dirt set up.

AHH fair enough I didn't realize there was so many differences on the buggy between the two as I've never raced the buggy 

On the stadium truck both the carpet and dirt run the lay down gearbox 

As it's got a hight adjustable diff 

You can run the diff in the high position to get the truck lower for carpet or in the low position the get it higher for dirt 

Both kits run the same springs out the box aswell I believe the shock oils are different 

With the xt2 everything in both boxs is allmost identical 

Everything that can be changed between the 2 on booksetup is in the box 

Bar the ball diff 

The steering setup is different aswell 

Again the parts are in the box to do this 

Screenshot_20220810-105916.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Borked said:

While the buggy body does cover the chassis, it does have holes/gaps for the steering arms etc. From the amount of dry grass that gets inside after a 5 min race, I wouldn’t trust it to keep out stones. 

It also still has the spur not particularly covered. This where it sits on my XB2

IMG_20220810_105055.thumb.jpg.20b5b3b330f8f88adb1401e559c99832.jpg

14 hours ago, SWF said:

Do these have a cover for the pinion/ spur?

This is one of my bugbears about the modern 2wd buggies. I left the hobby just before the mid-motor craze seemed to start, there were a few conversion kits around but don't recall there being any factory mid motor buggies. All the old rear motor buggies had covers, I'm guessing the rise of indoor/carpet racing negated the need to have them and the guys that still run outside have to deal with spurs being even more of a consumable?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ReggieC said:

It also still has the spur not particularly covered. This where it sits on my XB2

IMG_20220810_105055.thumb.jpg.20b5b3b330f8f88adb1401e559c99832.jpg

This is one of my bugbears about the modern 2wd buggies. I left the hobby just before the mid-motor craze seemed to start, there were a few conversion kits around but don't recall there being any factory mid motor buggies. All the old rear motor buggies had covers, I'm guessing the rise of indoor/carpet racing negated the need to have them and the guys that still run outside have to deal with spurs being even more of a consumable?

Different manufacturer, but this isn't exposed on my Associated B6.1 when the body's on.

5892F95B-1DC5-4385-9192-48E2741C94F5.thumb.jpeg.ad48ee0e12aca28448b7e7db44ed7745.jpeg

8332A930-29E6-42E5-B307-106606CFDEF3.thumb.jpeg.2e30b10ab1c1ba028a10820908f12731.jpeg

In the box is this cover. I bought the car used, so I don't know if this is original equipment, but it's completely unused and I don't know why someone would buy a cover and then not fit it, so my guess is it came with the kit.

70D60C7C-9BFD-4D5D-93FC-9F3C76B55C6C.thumb.jpeg.ad67b0a7237e2d82a9c811b6a2044772.jpeg

So covers are available for some mid motor cars...

1 hour ago, Borked said:

Different manufacturer, but this isn't exposed on my Associated B6.1 when the body's on.

5892F95B-1DC5-4385-9192-48E2741C94F5.thumb.jpeg.ad48ee0e12aca28448b7e7db44ed7745.jpeg

8332A930-29E6-42E5-B307-106606CFDEF3.thumb.jpeg.2e30b10ab1c1ba028a10820908f12731.jpeg

In the box is this cover. I bought the car used, so I don't know if this is original equipment, but it's completely unused and I don't know why someone would buy a cover and then not fit it, so my guess is it came with the kit.

So covers are available for some mid motor cars...

Well that's certainly less exposed than what I have. I wonder if the person who had the car before me just cut the shell a bit excessively.

I had a bit of a look after posting and saw that the B5m came with a cover, but that's quite old now. I wonder if the one you have is from that as I can't see anywhere it would mount to on the B6.

6 minutes ago, ReggieC said:

Well that's certainly less exposed than what I have. I wonder if the person who had the car before me just cut the shell a bit excessively.

I had a bit of a look after posting and saw that the B5m came with a cover, but that's quite old now. I wonder if the one you have is from that as I can't see anywhere it would mount to on the B6.

Could well be.

It "fits" like this, but the mounting holes don't line up with anything that you could attach it to. Unless I'm missing the backing plate or something.

6C6892E0-E211-4058-9C0F-C44C89F2B037.jpeg.58dc89ebe2bc523009b123f7021c9b7f.jpeg

image.thumb.png.ac77d8a4a533acf936b5852e18cfd867.png

Rear arms, links and driveshafts done. I've deviated from the kit setup as I'll be running this on astro, used Tom Yardy's sheets on Petit RC as a rough guide. The rear hubs have so many ways of adjusting the roll centre, also found my first missing piece, one of the 2mm spacers for the hubs so I'll drop Xray an email when I've finished it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, windz1000r said:

The steering setup is different aswell 

Again the parts are in the box to do this 

Screenshot_20220810-105916.png

I'm going to build mine with the dirt steering setup as that what most of the sheets on Petit RC suggest. I wish Xray explained what difference it actually makes, its not ackermann so I think its to do with how the servo link sweeps relative to the bellcranks a bit like adjusting expo on a Tx.

36 minutes ago, lorrylemming said:

I'm going to build mine with the dirt steering setup as that what most of the sheets on Petit RC suggest. I wish Xray explained what difference it actually makes, its not ackermann so I think its to do with how the servo link sweeps relative to the bellcranks a bit like adjusting expo on a Tx.

You get less steering on the dirt setup lock to lock 

I've tried box setting I prefer the layout of the dirt but my regular track is just a bit to tight 

I have the 1 pills in aswell to set the roll center as high as possible 

On 10/08/2022 at 15:13, ReggieC said:

@ReggieC So I've finally figured out what that gear cover's for. On the B6.1 you can have a lay down, lay back and stand up gear box layout. If you use the stand up gear layout that the body won't cover the spur so they provide a cover for it.

• Like 1

Front arms and links attached. Not super impressed with the steering setup, its very adjustable but it requires more disassembly than my Schumacher and different screw lengths for each adjustment because the clearance to the lower plate is very small. As a plus the front hubs seem very durable which is a high impact area when racing.

image.png.5382e535bc4336561291cd62ce945a45.png

image.png.895c91e845fee701d0597b8bf52d61e6.png

Considering adding a DIY bumper to the front something made from HDPE or similar.

image.png.868b6c6dbe649c5e2ae7581d2f43bcfb.png

The Banggood motor has now turned up so I have everything I need to finish the kit, just need the time and some reasonable weather for painting the shell.

• Like 2