• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Revo’s (plural….)

Kpowell911

After being let down 3 times for a new RC I decided it was for the best and was someones way of telling me not to buy one….. 2x were nitro and one was a Rally which Ive had multiple of id we take  into account the various Traxxas 4x4 Platforms Ive owned…..

However I struck a deal on 1.5 Revos with @tanveer so here we go. 

Ive only had at most 5 nitros. Starting with a Savage .21 and ending up with a Jato 3.3. But that may have been at least 10 years ago. 

I say 1.5 Revos…..

OHuDZwv.jpg

Revo 1 is an original 2004-2007ish 2.5R. Reletively ready to go. It starts and is in very good condition. However, It came without Radio, and my intention was to run this….

fljW71p.jpg

However, I realised with the various channels/reverse/optidrive modules. I needed more channels on the TX.

x8EcMqt.jpg

So to keep things simple, after all a nitro engine after 10 years is going to give me enough issues, I decided to make it as simple as possible and go with with a Forward Only conversion……

Edited by Kpowell911

So I managed to locate a Forward Only Conversion and picked it up from Wheelspin:

n6MUI6X.jpg

This will allow me to get rid of quite a lot of the parts and make things “simpler”. It was quite a popular modification back in the day as everything was probably too complicated for its own good….. it should hopefully be a simple two servo job then. 

Obviously I have no nitro stuff so some basic bits are on order……

Now, onto the 3.3R…..

Original plan with the 2.5R was to convert it to a 3.3R. Which is bigger and more powerful than the 2.5R with some nice upgrades like 17mm hexes etc. Its not too costly with Jennys RC ( they sell the chassis for under $3 haha)

However, Tanveer kindly threw in a part roller. The main thing thats missing as you can see is the shocks. Ive ordered the shocks and some plastics, but truth be told I was just going to shelf it as a roller. As it looks brilliant. However I think Im going to build it into a big block RTR eventually.  

Now reliability would be the priority. As I dont need performance any more as thats what electrics are for 😉

• Like 1

Had a spare hour today so time to fit the FOC. 

As you can see its in very good condition for its age:

N7bo2v4.jpg

y9XwpXh.jpg

y9XwpXh.jpg

The part

DJnfQIE.jpg

Out comes the transmission

rYU2rnV.jpg

Split the transmisson

c4BLX5E.jpg

Get rid of all this:

E0EeTWg.jpg

Also added a better throttle/brake servo whilst I was as it

FWb9bDG.jpg

All done and blanked off all the holes left from Optidrive

LiGa4Nq.jpg

Now the main reason for this was to simplify everything. I just want a basic nitro. With a 2ch radio. Forward/Brake/Steering. 

However still couldnt get it to work…..

Hmmmm…..

Turns out my RX Pack is at 2.2v 😅 Charger en route…..

• Like 2

I now have an Rx pack and battery for the 2.5R so that should run soon. Also ordered some 3.3 Bumpers to tidy it up. Then itll need a shell and maybe some new rubber. 

KGxO7Jr.jpg

Also got some shocks and fresh plastics for the 3.3R

I made an order with @tanveerfor an engine etc, so the 3.3R maybe a runner soon. Thatll probably need a few more bits (at least a fuel tank and exhaust) then I can find some servos and radio gear

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

I now have an Rx pack and battery for the 2.5R so that should run soon. Also ordered some 3.3 Bumpers to tidy it up. Then itll need a shell and maybe some new rubber. 

KGxO7Jr.jpg

Also got some shocks and fresh plastics for the 3.3R

I made an order with @tanveerfor an engine etc, so the 3.3R maybe a runner soon. Thatll probably need a few more bits (at least a fuel tank and exhaust) then I can find some servos and radio gear

Sorry bro got called into work this morning, will post the engine and bits out tomorrow morning. 

Right then….

The 2.5R First of all added a charged RX Battery and set the throttle linkages on the 2.5R. Im confident this all works correctly, the brakes stop, carb is open enough etc. A bit late to start messing with the actual running, so I fitted some brand new 3.3R Bumpers to freshen it up. 

W1JLpAN.jpg

7pv6Ucb.jpg

DU1WJpS.jpg

pE1iNOe.jpg

Provided that runs ok, all that that needs now is a better steering servo, and a new 2.5T shell. Which may be difficult…..

Now the 3.3R looks as if half of its missing. Its actually very clean and not far off complete. Main thing was shocks. Once again Jennys RC FTW. 

dRDoUAk.jpg

I didnt have any screws…. So I opened the UDR Screw Set I had on hand for another project. 8 screws later…..

2gadOp4.jpg

Its a roller I think…..

Bought loads of fresh plastics, mainly for the RX box lids. But I got everything in a bag from Jennys for less than $14 somehow 🤯🤯

4cY14Nx.jpg

Only really need these:

jzKfif7.jpg

Going to attempt to run Reverse and Optidrive on this one. Sooo for now:

hl9NMVc.jpg

Ive got an engine and bits of pieces on the way, but I think I need to order:

Fuel Tank

Exhaust System

Radio Gear (either 3 channel or 2 channel and An FOC)

Servos

New bumpers. Because fresh

Together:

e0M3zyt.jpg

JFcDwL3.jpg

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 2

So the 2.5R Runs

xgHJfHJ.mp4

VSP0Ej2.mp4

Just need some open space to make Sure it runs ok. 

Ive spent $115 on Jennys for the 3.3R

To go with this:

DPMDU39.jpg

Dont think Ill have everything but itll be close. Ive even ordered a brand new 3 channel RX/TX to run this one with reverse etc

Im going to be missing a starter but we will see

• Like 2

Decided to take the 2.5R out for its first proper run. 

It performed faultlessly for 3 tanks. Leaned it out a fair bit, kept temps around 240F? i think thats ok. It shifted into second gear fine which is great news as I kind of winged it with the Forward Only Conversion. 

It was perfectly reliable, but honestly these 6S Brushless Rigs have ruined us, cause this isnt fast. However it meant I was comfortable with running it in an area that I maybe couldnt run the brushless rigs. 

Was a nice change from waiting an hour for charging etc. i just grabbed the truck and off I went. 

If the 3.3R runs this well (I suspect it wont) but with more performance Ill be a happy boy!

Now its cleaning time……

PS FIND ME A 2.5R SHELL SOMEONE

ESLDCmO.jpg

• Like 2

You dont have to go warp speed to have fun, never owned a Traxxas nitro so good to hear their reliable so far. Is there room to change the gear ratio if you want more top end? Wasnt there an adapter to allow fitting any big block motor?

31 minutes ago, locky said:

You dont have to go warp speed to have fun, never owned a Traxxas nitro so good to hear their reliable so far. Is there room to change the gear ratio if you want more top end? Wasnt there an adapter to allow fitting any big block motor?

Yea thats the thing, it wasnt fast but it was an event. It was fast enough, just 6s brushless has ruined us.

This is the older, slower, smaller 2.5R. Its apparently a very reliable engine, as youd want in a newbie RTR. The 3.3R is more potent but less reliable/harder to tune I believe. I already have a Big Block motor mount, but wanted the 3.3R for originality. Im not going to use these much so. I may look out for a second hand Big Block Revo/T Maxx. Im guessing they need upgrades so Ill pounce on someone elses money being spent for a change haha.

• Haha 1

More bits from Jennys

PAVTCb4.jpg

Giving me a fully working 3.3R engine. 

I needed a One Way Bearing and an Exhaust, and I converted to Pullstart whilst I was at it. 

TON1U1X.jpg

New Fuel Tank

k0M6cJh.jpg

I noticed a bent rear tie rod so replaced that:

bPg9AzO.jpg

Engine in and meshed up:

RvqjWYj.jpg

Throttle linkage set 

lwhiDWj.jpg

New bumpers to tidy everything up

4PBIIFB.jpg

KYixPBT.jpg

I went for the full on TSM 5ch Radio. A bit more money and hassle but I wanted to try and get this as close to 2022 spec as possible. 

This involves a micro servo for reverse and optidrive sensor unit

Bit of a headache but simple enough

3vv5hra.jpg

And there we go. From a clapped out slammed “roller” to decent condition 2022 TSM Spec 3.3R

ngKLQaj.jpg

However. 

It starts. I cant seem to get it to idle well, and it sounds a bit “rough”, but my throttle linkage isnt right so Thatll be another days task

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

So whilst on the hunt for a nice 2.5R Body shell. I found this

1JIH2TF.jpg

3EJj72Q.jpg

Unfortunately it came with a lot more stuff including a worse for wear truck. 

Now I won this on eBay. With a whole host of stuff in tool boxes/chargers/radio/nimhs etc. i pid £72, which Id have paid for a body tbh as you cannot find them. It was collection only, but postage was avaliable…… however there was so much stuff the postage was £47….. being as I only really wanted the shell, I asked if he minded binning the majority of the stuff with it to save postage. I zoomed in on the pics, circle what I wanted and he sorted me out. Great eBayer!!

To be honest, Ive probably lost a shed load of cool old things, it had a fair few charges, glowstarts, radio, tool boxes, spares etc. but in the end I said I wanted this and he could scrap the rest. 

iOBUEpu.jpg

Maybe shouldve asked for the TX but hey. It means Ive had to throw this out, but who wants to run 27mhz nitro in 2022

xNiSXIV.jpg

The shell now lives on my original 2.5r, however itd be rude not check the truck out so

Its not as bad as expected. But theres a lot of rusty pushrods and turnbuckles 😞

JkwZjny.jpg

MZvk07s.jpg

daN5Yhc.jpg

However, me being me 🙂

Already got some New ones

duEM2OJ.jpg

awdEErA.jpg

Quick clean up, and its looking much better

EIlVokV.jpg

dfElDSU.jpg

I need to get a Tamiya Male charge lead to charge the nimhs and get some radio then move onto the Engine. Not expecting much to be honest but heres the 3 of them

A50sNAU.jpg

dPlZjqr.jpg

• Like 2