• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Why shoe goo?

LondonNeil

Is it better than a decent silicone for strengthening body shells?  At a tenner for 110ml tube it's expensive, how far does a tube go?  

With a tube of acetoxy silicone costing half as much for 3 times as much, why is shoo goo the favoured flexible adhesive for body shell strengthening?

Good question, I personally used evo-stick and scrim tape. I think it's because Kevin Talbot made it famous, plus it seems to work. 

Like you I find the cost of shoo-glue or whatever it's called a bit expensive. 

Would be interested to hear about others experiences, especially if and when using a cheaper glue  👍🏽

Edited by Bert_w164

I felt exactly the same way, so when I reinforced my Carnage body I spent some time finding out what ShoeGoo actually was. I read somewhere that it’s a polyurethane adhesive sealant, so I looked up other PU adhesive sealants. 

I ended up using Carbond as it’s a product that I’ve used before (for sticking mounting hardware onto carbon fibre classic mini wheel arches) and it’s PU so it fit the bill. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353166282852

It worked great, but… I chose black and it ended up being VERY messy. The mess was difficult to clean up. I think I ended up having to rub petrol onto the mess on the outside of the body to clean it off. 
Black was also a bad choice because it makes the body colour darker. I should’ve used white really. 

In hind sight, I’m not sure if it was really cheaper than just using shoe goo. A tube of carbond is £9, and you get a lot more goo for your money, but what are you going to use the extra goo for? If you cap the end of the tube after then maybe you’ll be able to use it again in a month… if you’re lucky. Shoe goo’s £12 for a small tube, but you shouldn’t need more than that for a body. 

So actually the price difference is pretty minimal as you’re unlikely to use the rest of the carbond tube. 

The next issue with carbond (and any other gun tube goo) is the handling. Squeezing carbond out of a gun is perfect for its intended purpose - sticking on body kits and windscreens. But trying to smear it all over the inside of an RC car body with a gun is a massive pain. Shoe goo comes in a little hand held tube that you can easily squeeze out the amount you want exactly where you want it, and all one handed while the other hand holds the body. 

Next time I do a body reinforcement I’m either going to

- look for a smaller tube of alternative PU adhesive sealant

- squeeze a load of white carbond into a bowl or something that I can then spatula out into the body

- just use shoe goo. It works and it’s not that expensive 

• Like 1

Ta, I'd been thinking of searching harder to find what shoo goo is, so that's great to know.

I've 3 hyper go cars on the way (2 daughters and me) and also 3 alternative body shells. So I can use a big tube of sealant, but I know what you mean 

I've read with acetoxy silicone it can be thinned with white spirit then painted on.  Its how scene modellers use it.  It is slower to cure but ultimately unchanged for strength and adhesion.   I'll go Google pu adhesive now.....evostik and other contact adhesives are pu I think.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LondonNeil said:

Ta, I'd been thinking of searching harder to find what shoo goo is, so that's great to know.

I've 3 hyper go cars on the way (2 daughters and me) and also 3 alternative body shells. So I can use a big tube of sealant, but I know what you mean 

I've read with acetoxy silicone it can be thinned with white spirit then painted on.  Its how scene modellers use it.  It is slower to cure but ultimately unchanged for strength and adhesion.   I'll go Google pu adhesive now.....evostik and other contact adhesives are pu I think.

If you find a good alternative, let me know! 

I picked up a tube of this stuff a while back for doing some shell reinforcement but never actually got round to using it. Hopefully  it will still be good when I do need to reinforce a shell but I guess it's a bit of an unknown up to that point.

Everbuild Stixall Extreme Power - Crystal Clear - 290 ml

Edited by BigGinge
  • Like 1