• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MAX10 or 10BL60/120, which would you go for

BigGinge

I may have started a spreadsheet for a 1/10 rally car build.

I’ve got to the point where I’m looking at ESC/motor options and found that I can probably get a MAX10 combo for around the same sort of price I could pick up a 10BL120 ESC and sensored rocket motor from AliExpress. I’ve not run either of these before so was wondering what would you lot go for in this situation, or would you be looking at other options too?

I quite like the idea of running a sensored set up in my next build but would I be missing out on any useful features/performance by ignoring the newer MAX10? 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-ezrun-combo-max10-3652sl-4000kv-brushless-motor-420923

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr1qCs6

Edited by BigGinge

16 minutes ago, BigGinge said:

I may have started a spreadsheet for a 1/10 rally car build.

I’ve got to the point where I’m looking at ESC/motor options and found that I can probably get a MAX10 combo for around the same sort of price I could pick up a 10BL120 ESC and sensored rocket motor from AliExpress. I’ve not run either of these before so was wondering what would you kit go for in this situation, or would you be looking at other options too?

I quite like the idea of running a sensored set up in my next build but would I be missing out on any useful features/performance by ignoring the newer MAX10? 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-ezrun-combo-max10-3652sl-4000kv-brushless-motor-420923

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr1qCs6

I've never used a max 10 but am using the 120 in my stadium truck as do many others 

£40 for the 120 and £20 for a speed passion sensored motor £4 for a sensor lead 

Works very well 

However the adjustable BEC on the max 10 would have been a nice feature to have 

Edited by windz1000r
  • Like 1

@Bert_w164 that’s a very kind offer. If the build gets closer to finishing/starting without me making up my mind I’ll try to remember to drop you a message. 

• Like 1

If you run in the rain go for the Max10, if you don't go sensored. Sensored is better in every way apart from having a slightly fragile cable that isn't waterproof. I've got two 10bl120 in my race buggies, completely reliable and good performance. 

I really hope the Hobbywing Axe socket will one day be the standard. 

• Like 1

I've spent a bit more time looking at these tonight and it really does seem to boil down to the only significant choice being  sensored motor or waterproof ESC with 7.4V BEC output.

I think I can probably live without the 7.4V BEC, so that isn't really coming into the decision too much, but loosing the waterproof rating on the MAX10 might be a bit more painful. This would be going in a car i can see getting wet/muddy so I guess there is a risk I could damage the 10BL120 if I go with that.

Having said that I would hope the  internal dust shield and mudguards would go some way to protecting the electronics and I can always give the ESC a quick coat or two of conformal coating to try and keep moisture out. So I suspect I've sold myself on the 10BL120 for now. Probably.

Edited by BigGinge

16 minutes ago, BigGinge said:

I've spent a bit more time looking at these tonight and it really does seem to boil down to the only significant choice being  sensored motor or waterproof ESC with 7.4V BEC output.

I think I can probably live without the 7.4V BEC, so that isn't really coming into the decision too much, but loosing the waterproof rating on the MAX10 might be a bit more painful. This would be going in a car i can see getting wet/muddy so I guess there is a risk I could damage the 10BL120 if I go with that.

Having said that I would hope the  internal dust shield and mudguards would go some way to protecting the electronics and I can always give the ESC a quick coat or two of conformal coating to try and keep moisture out. So I suspect I've sold myself on the 10BL120 for now. Probably.

Considering 10bl120 are only £40 you could still get a cheap sensored motor and a sensor cable 

I run a sensored speed passion on mine and there only £20 

20 minutes ago, BigGinge said:

@windz1000r, do you have a link to those motors?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/speed-passion-v30-competition-bl-55t-36282

I run the 4.5t turn in My stadium truck and on 2s it has loads of power I actually run it at 50percent 

And there's no cogging low down or anything 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, windz1000r said:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/speed-passion-v30-competition-bl-55t-36282

I run the 4.5t turn in My stadium truck and on 2s it has loads of power I actually run it at 50percent 

And there's no cogging low down or anything 

Thats incredible value!

• 1 month later...

Glad I've found a up to date thread on this. I've actually just got the speed passion motor for my off road, the shop I got it from recommended the 10bl120 to go with it but was out of stock. So I took the plunged and got a max10 today second hand as i didnt want to wait haha. 

The person I got the max 10 from had me doubting my purchase as he said its the wrong motor and the max10 would work but probably not for long as its on its limits with the 4.5t motor and 2s.

Have I done wrong or is this a good combo. I'm very new to the Hobby but wanted speed and my god have I got it with this set up 😆 🤣 

2 hours ago, jeremykelly1990 said:

Glad I've found a up to date thread on this. I've actually just got the speed passion motor for my off road, the shop I got it from recommended the 10bl120 to go with it but was out of stock. So I took the plunged and got a max10 today second hand as i didnt want to wait haha. 

The person I got the max 10 from had me doubting my purchase as he said its the wrong motor and the max10 would work but probably not for long as its on its limits with the 4.5t motor and 2s.

Have I done wrong or is this a good combo. I'm very new to the Hobby but wanted speed and my god have I got it with this set up 😆 🤣 

I wouldn't have bought a MAX10 for a 4.5t motor but if you've got it already then might as well see how it goes. It really depends what car its in, a drift car or touring car it might be okay for a long time but a 4wd short course truck it would die pretty quickly.

If you want to spend the money to 10bl120 would be a more sensible ESC to use. But, the Helion isn't too heavy so the Max10 could be okay with sensible gearing. 

In your position I would ask the shop if they would exchange the Max10 for the 10bl120 for a good price. If not I'd run the Max10 and just cross your fingers. 

Ok so got the 10lb120 not opened it yet in case I need to return it lol. 
I don’t want to run the 4.5t motor now so I’m looking for some advice again on a motor to go with this esc or a link to a cheapish combo for off-roading skatepark driving. Running 2s atm maybe 3s in the future.
ive tried Googling but there’s so much conflicting info out there 

thanks 

Edited by jeremykelly1990