• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New tx needed

windz1000r

So as per the title on my ever growing list of stuff I need a new tx/rx combo is needed 

I can't make my mind up 

Cheaper flysky gt5 

Or spend more and get the g7p 

Or save longer and get a noble 

Or anything else someone can recommend 

Radiolink RC4GS/RC6GS2 for a cheap setup with gyro and decent adjustability,

Futaba 3PV if you want something nice but without spending over £100, although you could get more functionality with your money and not have to buy RXs at £40 a pop

Dumbo RC if you want a functional tesco value type handset, they use Radiolink electronics. 

I own all the ones I've mentioned, the Radiolink's lack of auto turn off feature meant I was losing batteries, including lipos (as I had it powered off lipos) - that instantly became an issue for me (but this is more so a me problem). Also the grey looks so cheap, the black version which is the 4ch looks way more "premium".

DumboRC - they work just fine, but when you have a nice RC car, then look and feel the Dumbo, it just feels wrong. 

Futaba 3PV - one of the main reasons I went for it was the auto shut off feature, however its been absolutely flawless, doesn't feel or look cheap and its comfortable to hold, I forget I'm holding it. 

15 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

Radiolink RC4GS/RC6GS2 for a cheap setup with gyro and decent adjustability,

Futaba 3PV if you want something nice but without spending over £100, although you could get more functionality with your money and not have to buy RXs at £40 a pop

Dumbo RC if you want a functional tesco value type handset, they use Radiolink electronics. 

I own all the ones I've mentioned, the Radiolink's lack of auto turn off feature meant I was losing batteries, including lipos (as I had it powered off lipos) - that instantly became an issue for me (but this is more so a me problem). Also the grey looks so cheap, the black version which is the 4ch looks way more "premium".

DumboRC - they work just fine, but when you have a nice RC car, then look and feel the Dumbo, it just feels wrong. 

Futaba 3PV - one of the main reasons I went for it was the auto shut off feature, however its been absolutely flawless, doesn't feel or look cheap and its comfortable to hold, I forget I'm holding it. 

I'll check out the radiolink 

I like the g7p as it does does have lots of features although I know I won't use them all but that you can keep and eye on voltage is quite nice 

I've got a flysky gt3 but it's a bit on the glitchy side and same keep leaving it turned on and killing battery's or in the middle of the night I hear it beeping low battery 

The futaba was one I looked at but price and function didn't meet others but if the quality is alot better it may be worth it 

Think Jack has a good point there, really depends on how many rigs you anticipate having in running condition at any one time.  Most of mine are paired to my FS GT3C (10 model memory), and whilst it's certainly not the best Tx out there, the multi Rx option wins out for me.  The dozen or so FS Rx's I've bought over the years have cost me less than £50, and even the Dumbo would only be £100,  wouldn't want to run all ten cars on Futaba...

However, if you only ever intend on running one or two trucks, then a nice Futaba / Sanwa / Noble would be a great option.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bertberr said:

Think Jack has a good point there, really depends on how many rigs you anticipate having in running condition at any one time.  Most of mine are paired to my FS GT3C (10 model memory), and whilst it's certainly not the best Tx out there, the multi Rx option wins out for me.  The dozen or so FS Rx's I've bought over the years have cost me less than £50, and even the Dumbo would only be £100,  wouldn't want to run all ten cars on Futaba...

However, if you only ever intend on running one or two trucks, then a nice Futaba / Sanwa / Noble would be a great option.

Thanks 

Currently have 7 running trucks 

I like the functions on the FS gt3c but something in our area causes interference with it makes it very glitchy like 15m range is a stretch in other areas it's fine. 

I know it's this tx that's the issue as if I use something like a etronix(ftx) it's fine no problems at all 

For £70 and cheap Rx I've been leaning towards the fs gt5 

As it has 4 wheel steering aswell for the crawler 

And I wouldn't need to swap them all over instantly so could pick up rx over time 

But the FS noble just looks really cool with lots of functions but at £170 I think am just being a magpie 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinniejones said:

FS  NOBLE

COMFY IN THE HAND GREAT FEATURES

LOVE THE REMOVABLE BASE 

44 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

Get a Noble, trust me 😉 

So it's definitely worth spending the extra money then 

I did think that looking at it 

1 hour ago, vinniejones said:

sorry that wasnt anything rude it was meant to say

ho yes as aj says

meaning i agreed with aj

I assumed that's what you ment 

Looks like the noble can be had for £150 ATM so going to order one on payday 

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

The Noble is incredible. Im currently paying £30 for extra RXs though if anyone can beat that?

1 hour ago, Darren Frosty said:

I had the GT5, I now have the Noble. The difference in, well everything, is amazing.

Looks like based on the reviews I'll be ordering a noble then 

.for the features and with 2 x Rx for £150 delivered on the slow boat it's not a bad deal isit really 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lorrylemming said:

That was another option I looked at 

I like that you can get a GPS unit for it aswell 

But as you said there isn't much in the terms of info for it 

Forgive my ignorance… 

I’ve got a DumboRC radio, which gives me a nice range extension over what came in the box and a decent response time for sod all money. 

What does a super posh Tx like a noble give above and beyond a Dumbo? Is it just a build quality thing, or are there any tangible benefits to spending 5x as much money?

I totally get the “it looks like it’s Tesco value” thing, but what are the actual differences?

1 minute ago, Borked said:

Forgive my ignorance… 

I’ve got a DumboRC radio, which gives me a nice range extension over what came in the box and a decent response time for sod all money. 

What does a super posh Tx like a noble give above and beyond a Dumbo? Is it just a build quality thing, or are there any tangible benefits to spending 5x as much money?

I totally get the “it looks like it’s Tesco value” thing, but what are the actual differences?

I'll have more infor on this after my next race 

But options are very different the abbikty to setup throttle curves ect 

And responsiveness 

I've swapped from a flysky gt3b to the swana  and you can tell the difference allmost straight away 

And it feels alot nicer in hand 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, windz1000r said:

I'll have more infor on this after my next race 

But options are very different the abbikty to setup throttle curves ect 

And responsiveness 

I've swapped from a flysky gt3b to the swana  and you can tell the difference allmost straight away 

And it feels alot nicer in hand 

Oh, throttle response curves sound interesting. Can you set your own curves? That would be pretty cool. 

I guess because I’m not racing yet I’m not appreciating the finer details of what’s important. 

Totally understand the “feeling in the hand” thing. It goes along with the Tesco value feel of the dumbo. I’ve been considering adding weight to it just to make it feel less 💩 in the hand 😅

I’m interested in the actual functional differences, beyond feel, and throttle curves was something I didn’t know about. 

Cheers @windz1000r… every day’s a school day (especially for me 🤣🤣)

Edited by Borked

Also @windz1000r, when is your next race? I’d be interested to know how you got on and whether you think your fancy Tx helped! 👍🏻

I’m meeting the local club on Aug 7th to see how they run and get advice on what to get to be (potentially) competitive at their club. 

Aug 7th seems a long way away… I’m too impatient 😄

Edited by Borked
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Borked said:

Oh, throttle response curves sound interesting. Can you set your own curves? That would be pretty cool. 

I guess because I’m not racing yet I’m not appreciating the finer details of what’s important. 

Totally understand the “feeling in the hand” thing. It goes along with the Tesco value feel of the dumbo. I’ve been considering adding weight to it just to make it feel less 💩 in the hand 😅

I’m interested in the actual functional differences, beyond feel, and throttle curves was something I didn’t know about. 

Cheers @windz1000r… every day’s a school day (especially for me 🤣🤣)

No worries sorry was shatted last night so made it quick 

I'll got into a bit more detail and try not to ramble 

So physical difference Vs something like a Dumbo 

A screen and more buttons 

The abblity to adjust how hard it is to turn the wheel and pull the trigger (set the tension) 

Can run the controller of a 1s lipo. 

Each button can be programmed to do what you want it to .

Other features include 

A timer (lap or countdown) again I have this setup on a button 

Alb (anti lock breaking) Ihave this setup to a button so I can press and hold the button this activates alb only wile am holding the button can set it up just to be turned on and off .

telemetry , this enables you to log race data I.e you can see how much you was on the throttle breaks and steering and when for how much .

voltage how much power you have left in the controller and voltage of the bec 

braking you can adjust every aspect of the breaks i.e how hard it breaks if you want it to be progressive ect 

trims and sub trims 

multiple models so you can set it up for multiple cars I believe it will store 20 models on the built in memory and up to 250 with a SD card 

SD card can also be used to telmitry logging .

trims and sub trims 

throttle again you can use a linnier throttle or build your own throttle curve 

Lag / speed this is a feature that I've never seen before 

So you can programs lag into your throttle and steering to slow it down if needs be 

4ws this would be useful for the crawler guys you can programs 4 different steering options 

Front 

Rear 

Front and rear opposite 

Crab 

And programs this to a switch to flick between them with ease 

Drive options again useful for crawlers with twin motors 

You can program stuff like over drive for your front motor so it runs faster than the rear 

Then there's stuff like multiple grip sizes to suit different sized hands 

You can adjust the center point of the Trigger 

The angle of the Trigger even the size of the Trigger can be changed to suit different sized fingers 

The screen displays alot of information aswell 

Key usefull ones being a range bar and voltage bar 

And still I believe I have only scratched the surface 

I will add some pictures later just got to sort the dog out 

• Like 2