• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thunder tiger pro .21 revving.

Boovy2000

Hi guys.  Found my eb4 after 10 years in my mums garage.  I ve had it going on 16 % fuel.  Swapped to 25% and having a nightmare since.  It just wouldn't Idle.  So stupidly.  I reset all screws as per the thunder tiger manual. 2.5 turns out on hsn and lsn a 1mm idle. It turned out to be a dud glow plug.  

It's now ticking over but the revs are building and it revs high, lots of smoke and oil from the exhaust.  Is this a low speed needle issue?  I'm totally lost.

High speed needle also controls flow to the low speed needle. So usually tune high needle first, then low speed needle whilst adjust the idle gap to get an idle rpm that is  about right. Adjust high speed until you reach max top speed without being too lean, then adjust low speed for good initial acceleration. When you lean low speed the idle will usually increase so you have to reduce the idle gap. Low speed and idle adjustments are usually much smaller than high speed. If they are stock needle settings then usually it should be rich and performance is average. Tuning should be done with a warm engine as it will lean as it gets to usual operating temp. Issues such as air leaks can also appear with a warm engine, worn out piston/sleeves when warm can also  cause tuning issues, needle o-rings also lose their seal after many years being  easy to turn, check the fuel tank lid seal is creating a good seal, check fuel tubing has no splits with strong connections at tank, carb and pipe, last resort remove back plate and carb and reseal with high temp gasket sealant.

• 4 weeks later...