• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

DJI Mini 3 Pro

Nick

Just ordered one, @m4inbrain the one you linked on heliguys was the non DJI radio, but literally this morning I got the stock notification so just placed the order. 😄 I don't have a good smartphone and quite like the idea of just having it as an all in one unit.

I missed out on the Fly More kit though, they sold out fast! Did you guys get this?

Off to Canada in July so can't wait to get some practice in before I go and get some good footage out there!

• Like 1

No, i actually don't fancy the FMK - i just need one extra battery (i can charge one battery within 20 minutes with my battery bank, and i can recharge three times). Don't need three, don't need the bag (prefer camera hardcase backpack). 

If the phone is arse, then yeah, the screened controller certainly is better. Make sure that, if you're not confident in manual modes, you set one of the configurable buttons to AE Autolock to lock exposure. I've ruined my first flight because it's adjusting brightness constantly, very abruptly. Make sure to read up on rules for Canada, i wouldn't know what they have. 

Other than that, you're gonna love it, i'm pretty sure.

Rules in Canada are same as UK, under 250g. So all good there! Which is why I got it to be honest (plus it's perfect size for backpacking about). Maybe a good thing I didn't get FMK, will see how it is when I get it and what I need. Will upload some test footage soon! Do I need a memory card? Didn't even think to check how storage works...

41 minutes ago, Nick said:

Rules in Canada are same as UK, under 250g. So all good there! Which is why I got it to be honest (plus it's perfect size for backpacking about). Maybe a good thing I didn't get FMK, will see how it is when I get it and what I need. Will upload some test footage soon! Do I need a memory card? Didn't even think to check how storage works...

It does have a dinky amount of internal storage (i think either 2gb or 6gb?), but you most definitely will need an SD card. 4k30 at full bitrate is around 4gb per clip, clips are around 5 minutes at that resolution/fps. 128gb is minimum, i'd argue. Make sure to get a quality one due to the high read/write speeds required for 4k/60. 

There's a few options, if you go backpacking and you don't want to use a camera backpack but just fancy throwing it into the backpack, there's small hard cases for controller and drone that you could get. At the very least, get the prop-protector (they're flopping about when not in use, so there's a chance that one prop extends in your bag and folds over/breaks). 

Something like this, there's a few options. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZJRXM-Mini-Pro-Drone-Accessories/dp/B0B1QPPJTG/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=mini+3+pro+prop+guards&qid=1655720637&sprefix=mini+3+pro+prop%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-5

As mentioned, for me personally: prop guards, camera backpack (settled on this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Endurax-Waterproof-Photographer-Mirrorless-Protection-Black/dp/B07JZ6SPH6/ref=sr_1_16?crid=30WC2FYYCD3RH&keywords=camera%2Bbackpack&qid=1655494781&sprefix=camera%2Bbackpack%2Caps%2C70&sr=8-16&th=1 ), extra battery (if you have a decent power bank), set of filters (freewell, polarpro) and a shade for the controller are the necessities. 

Looking forward to see the footage. I've ruined my first run by forgetting (not knowing, actually) to lock the exposure, and the second one was more about LUT testing, getting a feel for the gimbal wheel and setting up yaw/pitch controls/smoothness.

Nothing fancy. 

Still not happy with the settings, but getting there. The LUT is decent though, so i might've found an easy out to colour grading (remember to record in D-Cinelike). 

edit: the "choppy" gimbal movement is me, it's not the auto tracking which of course would've made it smooth since it does work well. Just decided that i need to get better (clearly) at it.

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

Micro SD card... am I reading this right 128gb is only £20 now?!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-microSDXC-Adapter-Performance/dp/B07FCMKK5X/

Other bits I'll get some test flights in and see what I feel I need after some experience.

The filters I've read a bit about, would you use them much? Is it all depending on the lighting your shooting in?

Great footage from such a small thing.  :good:

• Like 1

That's the one i bought, got a few of them - very happy with them and price is great too. 

There's two types of filters i use, ND and CPL filters. ND filters are, basically, sunshades for your drone. It allows you to change the settings you're shooting at (shutter speed), which otherwise are just dependant on the sunlight. Basically, it reduces the f-stops of your camera (don't know how to put it differently). It allows you to add motion blur (cinematic) in higher sunlight, which you add by slowing down the shutter speed. Which usually overexposes the picture - but not with a ND filter. Hope that makes sense.

CPL filters on the other hand could be called.. "directional filter". They're usually rotatable and only collect light from a certain angle. If you imagine a scene with water, there's two directions where the light comes from: the sun, and the reflection in the water. CPL filters remove the light/reflection of the water, which means you can actually look "into" the water. 

6936882070_698931f1b8_b.jpg

If you intend to just shoot in Auto and aren't interested in those fancy videos with editing and stuff, then there's no point really. You can get decent footage without filters. More important than filters would be a decent video editing program (for colour grading), i personally use DaVinci Resolve 18 and couldn't go back to anything else.

Edited by m4inbrain

Thanks for the info, I use DaVinci too, I'm not sure about NC filters, as I could add motion blur as a post effect?

CPL seems useful but unsure how much I'd use it, seems like a good one to just have on all the time to remove glare from water/cars/roofs?

I'll do lots of tests and put some footage up, it'll be interesting to discuss the results and where you see these sort of filters might be handy for me in my use. :good:

Sure, no problem. Though i'm certainly no expert myself, lol.

You could, technically - but it does make the picture "unnatural" (because you expect water to reflect), it depends on the style you're going for. If you ever only gonna buy ONE filter, i'd go for a CPL filter, ND filters you usually need around 2-3 (different shades). Artificial motion blur has nothing on real motion blur, that's the reason why you want it from the camera - it reduces artifacts etc, keeps the image crisper. 

What do you mean "so cheap", it's £150 less - and it's because, quite obviously, the N1 uses your phone as a screen, unlike the RC Pro that has a built in touch screen 😉

The RC Pro for the Mavic series is £900 by itself. DJI Controllers are expensive, especially considering the questionable upsides of them. 

4 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

ahhh ok cheers, didnt know they had a screen controller option, thought they all went to your phone

Nah, there's three packs, A: just drone, B: RC N1 + Drone, and C RC Pro + Drone. Then there's the Fly More Kit, which is an addon for all packs (2 extra batteries, 3 bay charger, carrying bag, props etc). 

The RC Pro was not for me because i don't like to be pigeon holed - you can't modify anything on the controller (software wise) - you can't use 3rd party software, and you can't (really) use a tablet. It's sadly also not the same screen as the Mavic RC Pro, it's "only" 700 nits which isn't enough for bright sunlight - i struggle with >900-1000 nits of my S21, having ordered a shade for it. I don't know whether or not the RC Pro is able to mount a decent shade, i've only seen 3rd party stuff that looked awful and required the entire controller to be covered. 

That all said: it is also more convenient for the most part (it still needs an internet connection through your phone though). It's basically the Apple variant, whereas the N1 is the Android variant, if that comparison makes sense.

4 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Nah, there's three packs, A: just drone, B: RC N1 + Drone, and C RC Pro + Drone. Then there's the Fly More Kit, which is an addon for all packs (2 extra batteries, 3 bay charger, carrying bag, props etc). 

The RC Pro was not for me because i don't like to be pigeon holed - you can't modify anything on the controller (software wise) - you can't use 3rd party software, and you can't (really) use a tablet. It's sadly also not the same screen as the Mavic RC Pro, it's "only" 700 nits which isn't enough for bright sunlight - i struggle with >900-1000 nits of my S21, having ordered a shade for it. I don't know whether or not the RC Pro is able to mount a decent shade, i've only seen 3rd party stuff that looked awful and required the entire controller to be covered. 

That all said: it is also more convenient for the most part (it still needs an internet connection through your phone though). It's basically the Apple variant, whereas the N1 is the Android variant, if that comparison makes sense.

It sounds too complicated for me, kinda wanna enter drones, just for the odd times we go wild camping in some stunning sites, and can get the RC N1 deal but dont think its worth me getting into it all as it rarely get used and as I said, seems complicated!

Appreciate the explanation mind 🙂 Enjoy yours

It's really not - but i'd argue that in cases like yours, the Mini 2 for £440 does more than an adequate job still. 

If i were you, i'd look into a Mini 2 Fly More combo. 👍

On 21/06/2022 at 09:02, Kpowell911 said:

It sounds too complicated for me, kinda wanna enter drones, just for the odd times we go wild camping in some stunning sites, and can get the RC N1 deal but dont think its worth me getting into it all as it rarely get used and as I said, seems complicated!

Appreciate the explanation mind 🙂 Enjoy yours

I've never used a drone so I'll let you know. Can't be that hard? I imagine the filmography side of things is more complicated than the flying... we shall see.

Mine arrived today, thought it was the wrong delivery when I saw how small the box was. :lol:

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Nick said:

I've never used a drone so I'll let you know. Can't be that hard? I imagine the filmography side of things is more complicated than the flying... we shall see.

Mine arrived today, thought it was the wrong delivery when I saw how small the box was. :lol:

lol.. It flies itself mostly. You just position it where you want it to be - if you let go of the sticks, it just hovers GPS positioned where you left it. Nothing like 5inch race drones or fixed wing planes (or tiny whoops for that matter). 

And yeah the box is funny, can actually grab it with one hand. Yes, the filmography is the more complicated part, setting up a shot as well as exposure settings are the "real" challenge. With sensors at bottom, rear and front, crashing it while flying normal is basically impossible. Just be careful with the auto-flying modes, it does not have side sensors so if you activate a mode with orbits etc (sideway motion), chances are that you'll hit a tree or similar while it's strafing around you. 

One thing i'd immediately do if i were you is to set one of the programmable buttons to AE Lock. 

Here's my first flight: 

Timestamped where you can see what happens if you don't lock the exposure, watch the brightness of the picture. 

Ignore colour grading, just twisted a few knobs and then gave up due to the changes in exposure - makes it impossible to actually grade it. 

• Like 1

Looks great, was that running any ND/CPL filters? hoping to do my first test run this eve. I ordered a 256gb MicroSD which is coming tomorrow so can't really record anything.

What's the range like? What happens if you start to go too far?

No, didn't have any filters at the time - if i did, the exposure wouldn't have jumped all over the place 😄

Range depends heavily on your surroundings, and don't forget that you're only allowed to fly VLOS. That's a rule that you shouldn't ignore. Furthest i've gone is 500m, you can't see the drone after 30 anymore if you lose focus on it. You can't HEAR it anymore either, it's stupendously quiet for a drone. 

If you go too far, or lose connection for any other reason, the drone returns to home. That's why it's important to set that up properly (RTH altitude 30m at least, and wait until the RTH point is updated before launching - the remote tells you when it updated it). It just comes back and lands.

edit: in open areas, range of 2.5 miles and more should be possible, to answer the question, but again, you have to keep it VLOS (visual line of sight). Don't forget to put your operator ID on the drone, too. 

edit2: for max range, you also have to point the remote towards the drone - it actually matters, since your remote has directional antennas. In urban areas you should get around 500m range, with signal bouncing everywhere (as well as going through walls etc), it degrades of course.

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

Setup was a little muddled, think it choked on an update and required a bit of forcing it off and on again until the update worked.

First test flight in garden was really good, the screen on the DJI RC is such good quality. All very intuitive and easy to use, I had no problems flying it - just like playing a video game, super smooth and predictable movements. Impressive, but for the price I wouldn't expect anything less.

Need to get myself a decent mains plug to charge, only got 1amp ones kicking about so a bit slow, extra battery (if I can find any in stock!), a controller sunscreen and one of those propeller holders - I'll do another few flights first then get the wallet out again. :lol:

• Like 1

I use my phone charger, or as another alternative, if you have decent powerbank that does fast charging, that works too. The battery charges within like 30 minutes. 

Good luck with the sunscreen 😄

Stock for all the things is a bit arse at the moment, hence me using a power bank if i'm out and about - it's easily recharged before i reach a second spot, and can top up controller if necessary too. 

Did another flight today. Changed the controls to Mode 1 as I found this more natural (probably from playing computer games).

I can't find any batteries in stock anywhere. 😞 Could really do with one before I go away in July. Still undecided on what carry case, looking for something soft and compact.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Did another flight today. Changed the controls to Mode 1 as I found this more natural (probably from playing computer games).

I can't find any batteries in stock anywhere. 😞 Could really do with one before I go away in July. Still undecided on what carry case, looking for something soft and compact.

I personally don't like soft cases, but if you want one, keep an eye out for the fly more combo. 

If you can't get one before july and still need a battery, get a decent battery bank (able to fast charge). It'll tie you over. I'm a gamer too, i don't find Mode 1 intuitive at all lol. When i play FS22 (or older ones, or Elite Dangerous/Star Citizen), the main controls (roll, pitch) are on the right, throttle/yaw on the left. 

I have a decent battery bank, I've emailed heliguy to see when stock is due for more batteries or Fly More kit. Might have to just bite the bullet and get one from an eBay scalper. :lol:

Tested out a few more modes like active tracking and stuff today, still gearing up for a proper flight.

• Like 1