• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

DJI Mini 3 Pro

Nick

18 minutes ago, Nick said:

Where did you get the filters from @m4inbrain? Heliguy are getting the Fly More kit in today so going to order one when they do. Think it works well for me, although unsure on case but will see how it is.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=mini+3+pro+freewell&sprefix=mini+3+pro+free%2Caps%2C70&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_15

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004275712656.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.207d7e1fmRfoeD&algo_pvid=acc4d513-60cb-414e-9b66-aa11e6cf3576&algo_exp_id=acc4d513-60cb-414e-9b66-aa11e6cf3576-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000028736104149"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!GBP!!40.08!!!!!%402100bde316565000694477741ebe6e!12000028736104149!sea

Sorry for the long links, can't be arsed to shorten them. Polar Pro comes out on 10th of july with their filters. I actually haven't gotten the filters for the Mini 3 Pro yet, since i'm waiting for PolarPro (good experience with them, have them for my other drones). If you don't require them immediately, i'd wait if i were you - PolarPro is quality. Not as cheap as Freewell usually, but, you know. 

Don't cheap out though: there's cheaper ones than Freewell and PolarPro, but you put glass on top of your lens so you want them to be decent, otherwise quality suffers. 

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

I received the Fly More kit before the weekend. The case is okay, it's tight with the controller in (I don't actually think it's designed to fit but I made it!) but it's compact and offers some protection so exactly what I need, even if on the small side, it's probably not much bigger than some big binocular cases from the old days.

The extra batteries and the 3 slot charger are fantastic, I wasn't sure I needed them but I used all 3 batteries up in one session just because they were available to me. The charger makes it a lot more straight forward too, stick them all in and you don't need to remind yourself to switch them around or anything. Easy job! Would recommend for sure.

I'll hold out for the Polar Pro filters. Did some decent flights on weekend and tried a few modes, impressed with quality. The 48mp photos come out good.

• Like 1

Funny enough, people were complaining about the picture quality in photomode. Apparently there are distortions or something, i don't know - i use it for videos exclusively. 

You still haven't posted anything. 😛

The charger is good, agreed - the bag just sucks though. Got two other fly more kits (Air and Air2), the bags always suck. Not water/rainproof, not hard case - nah. I broke a prop on my Air 1 due to it being a soft case and not offering any protection. The fact that the Pro RC doesn't really fit doesn't make the case better, lol. I'll stick with the plan of getting another pack and a decent hard case backpack/bag, cheaper too. Just spent another £110 on a mouse, money's just flying out of the window. 😄

I thought the photos are excellent, maybe people are expecting too much for a small drone.

I'm not sold on this case but it ticks a few boxes for me, ideally I'd like something as compact but doesn't feel like I'm stuffing things in like a Christmas dinner.

and yeah tell me about it, I've spent loads recently, just bought a Galaxy S22 Ultra. :lol:  The drone put my phone camera to shame and I like the idea of making a bit of a video of things on ground/air when on holiday.

7 minutes ago, Nick said:

The drone put my phone camera to shame and I like the idea of making a bit of a video of things on ground/air when on holiday.

As a tip, the drone footage mixes really well with GoPro footage 😉

Both use a similar (not quite the same) colour profile (D-Cinelike on drone, Flat on GoPro), so they're easy to mingle. Just putting that out there. 😛

As requested, here's my first video testing it on weekend.

I've got 3 days before I go to Canada so hopefully got enough practice in. :lol:

I forgot to set it to record at 60fps from 30fps so changed that now (the first clip might not be so smooth as it's 30fps slowed down to 75%). Also changed the object detection mode to avoid instead of brake, I tested it out flying at a few trees which was fun but scary haha.

Done no colour editing on Davinci but I'll save that for when I get back.

I've ordered some Freewell All Day lenses also... @m4inbrain I don't have much time to try lens out, is there one you'd just say use all the time? Probably just need a touch of motion blur. I'd be using auto as again don't have so much time to be buggering stuff up.

• Like 2

Looks good bud, just be careful: with the last update (from the 1.7.  i think?), people reported the collision avoidance being unreliable. Also there's a chance that it strafes into a tree since it sadly doesn't have side sensors. 

On my Mavic Air i generally use a ND8 CPL filter since i'm too lazy to take it off/put it away, generally you chose filter by lighting conditions though. If you always fly in nice and bright conditions, you could leave a ND4/8 on (preferably ND4/8 CPL).

I'll get this pack  once available: https://www.freewellgear.com/dji-mini-3-pro-nd-filters/960-dji-mini-3-pro-filters-all-day-6pack.html

best of all worlds, imho. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick said:

That's the one I ordered, from here:

https://caelusdrones.co.uk/product/freewell-mini-3-all-day-6-pack/

Who are the sellers on Amazon, ordered direct hoping I'd get it a bit quicker!

Yeah I don't plan to use obstacle avoidance much, I enjoy flying it manually more for the shots I want.

Yeah i assumed so when you said All Day pack, they only have two differing packs (the other one being the one i linked). 

Out of those you could probably run the ND8 as a "general" cover, and then change it as needed (bright daylight you'll need more than that etc). It does suck that there's no CPL filter in there, you might wanna check if Freewell does their CPL lens as a standalone. That you could leave on any day of the week, any weather, and improve the image. 

Yeah I figured the All Day pack will cover more options than the Bright Day one, I'm just gonna slap the ND8 on and run with it. :lol: It's going to be sunny where I am going but I don't want to lose shots picking the wrong lens.

Generally it would, i'd argue - but not in the UK, the higher end filters are too dark for the UK, so really, there's just 3-4 usable filters in there (unless you fancy some long exposure photography, which i don't). 

Enjoy flying, that's what it's aboot, eh. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Nick said:

I know! I've been so busy since I got back I've not even got it out the case yet.  😞

I'll try to look through it asap!

Nah bud just pulling your leg, i usually need a vacation after a vacation so you take your time. 😄

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

I'm just charging my batteries. Haven't taken it out for ages!

By the way do you think the 3x battery cradle actually charges okay? I'm convinced it's either broken or extremely slow.

On 05/03/2023 at 08:57, Nick said:

By the way do you think the 3x battery cradle actually charges okay? I'm convinced it's either broken or extremely slow.

I don't use it, so i wouldn't be able to tell. I do know that the cradle for the Air charges one by one though (even if you plug all three packs in at the same time) - i'd assume it's the same thing here. I also rarely run through three packs, so.. Pointless for me. If i need a top up, i'll charge a pack from a powerbank while walking/driving between spots.