• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Speed display on controller

Hi!

When I was a bit younger (about 7) in 1992 my neighbours kid had an RC car that displayed the speed on a digital display on the remote.

It was a buggy type RC car and pretty fast considering the tech of the day. Never seen a speed display like that since and guessing it would require a 2 way radio system and a computer chip to calculate mph from motor rpm, assuming good traction and design spec tire circumference.

Has anyone else seen or heard of speed display on the controller, or any other interesting speed stuff sans GPS?

👍👍

Traxxas do it with sensors and a Wi-Fi link, but you have to mount a phone or device to the transmitter. Also a few high end radio system like the Noble NB4 have telemetry, again with sensors and preprogrammed gearing/wheel diameters 

47 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

Traxxas do it with sensors and a Wi-Fi link, but you have to mount a phone or device to the transmitter. Also a few high end radio system like the Noble NB4 have telemetry, again with sensors and preprogrammed gearing/wheel diameters 

If you’re talking about traxxas link it does although not sure how accurate it is. That said I’ve not fiddled with it to much as it was fitted to the Maxx I bought. I think you can set up various other sensors I believe. It’s nice to have the battery level visible but it is a bit of a pain having to have the app there and I don’t want my phone attached to the tx. 

• Like 1