• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The fan/heatsink debate/decent fan recommendations?

Kpowell911

Hello, Ive always been adamant than fans are a gimmick, Facebook RC Groups seem to plaster them everywhere…… however, Ive always been kinda dubious, and think theyre just masking an issue. 

However, can they be used sensibly to improve temps? I notice them a lot on racers when I go to race meets,, they have some nice alloy fans facing their motors, and these are high ish level racers…..

So am I missing a trick? Can anyone recommend a decent alloy fan/heatsink mount for a 4274 motor?

My E Revo just got a touch hot haha

Yeah Racing have a clamp version with two tornado fans which are very good fans, never found any other fans which shift the same air volume,   always best to stand the fan off from the motor to improve air flow. I think they do help to reduce the surface temp, not sure if this actually makes a big difference to the internal rotor/magnet temp. Aliexpress now have a copy of the Yeah version as I just ordered one. Using a heat conductive soft mat between the sink clamp and motor also ensures good contact.

• Like 1

Some report a temp difference of about 20F or about 7 deg C with fans.  I tend to avoid constant temps above 160F, as claimed that's when magnets start to degrade and glue breakdown.

CPU thermal paste can also be used to conduct the heat between the can and sink.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rccar4life said:

These fans are great,  strong, long lasting

stock ones i blow in less than 10 runs,

these i have in almost al my rigs, and some i have run more than 60 runs whit these fans

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/smd-surpass-aluminum-high-speed-fan-28-000rpm-443153

love these

Surpass is the original, there is many different brands

REBRANDS  same fan another brand like this 3x the price

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/whitz-hypercool-aluminium-fan-30mm-neon-green-1342940

stay to the cheap and great original  Surpass

Mount you maybe have already, you need a mount for 42size motor and 30mm fan, single or dual fans.

These blow hard. at 7.4v

1 should be ok

in bad setups maybe go dual

edit

last but not least

this cover is fantastic

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/dusty-motors-traxxas-e-revo-e-revo-20-e-maxx-summit-protection-dust-cover-black-422602

i have them to all my rigs.

No more stones in fans,  center diff and so on.

Saves bearings and everything. 

Great must have item if you run alot in sandy stone areas  like offroad.

Summer it keeps dirt and stones off.  Winter  snow.  Love these dusty covers

They are awaible to the most popular rigs, also in universal from size M to 5xl

I have 5xl to my 8S Kraton 1/5

others specific to the rigs

I love these covers

coolingFans , electonics, center driveline, and bearings love this too

and shocks,  in revo you will have your shocks protected too

other cars you cut the universal piece that comes with this cover to your normal placed shocks

Thanks, ill look into those surpass fans. Was just curious if they just cool external temps, and damage is still being done on the inside. 

Higher rpm does not necessarily equate to more airflow,  they will reach a RPM at which they will push no more air. Most cpu fans run at a few thousand rpm. Suppliers should give Cubic Feet per Minute values at specific voltages to compare.