• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

AJ’s Kraton 8s EXB

.AJ.

13 hours ago, .AJ. said:

I’ve only run it once and I’ve been impressed so far, but the gearing I was recommended 30/39 is too high, everything runs too hot for my liking. Once I’m happy with the gearing I’ll report back 👍 

Gearing these is wired I actually went higher and it got cooler think I settled on 36-39 in the end 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

Gearing these is wired I actually went higher and it got cooler think I settled on 36-39 in the end 👍

That's what I ended up doing with mine, gearing up and got lower temps 🤪 

After chatting to a few people their reasoning was that these motors have massive torque and less rpms, therefore gear up..!!

Edited by BashingBrian
  • Thanks 1

I’ll make my own mind up after a run with the lower gearing this weekend 👍 

I’ve always gone by,… Under geared = Cold esc, cold batteries and a hot motor, because the motor is reving out to easily, Hot everything is over geared, that’s seen me good for over 10 years…

Also another problem is keep getting gearing recommendations from people who have never run the same motor, just because the HW 1100 or CC 1100 likes a certain gearing doesn’t mean this will and the one guy I spoke to who actually runs this motor said he was finding 30/39 was running to hot and he’s gone done to 26/39 , also where and how you bash effects it, The place I run is pretty compact so all the stop start driving will add extra load even it’s it’s slightly over geared. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, .AJ. said:

What motor did you run? 

I ran the same motor you have in my outcast 8s and in the Kraton 8s I sold I had the Hobbywing 800kv both are great motors and both I ended up gearing up to run cooler. I know we all say gear down but honestly I found gearing up was the way to go 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes you are quite right though I had a few recommendations from the usual crowd all with no real experience of the motors or in the area I was running and all play the part in determining what gearing to go with. Thankfully RW racing pinions aren’t that expensive so have a play about 👍

Edited by mydoddy69
  • Like 2

Also the Outcast has smaller wheels and is a bit lighter, plus the Kraton EXB has larger and heavier wheels than the RTR Kraton,

I’m going to give the lower gearing a go and I’ll report back 👍 

• Like 2

Charging the lipos ready for a run tomorrow morning, after the last run I put them into storage and they took 3500mah from 3.2v per cell, now to top them up they have taken another 5600mah, so from 3.2v to full they have taken 9100mah, I would say for once the manufacturers rating are spot on👍 

Ill be running the 30/47 gearing tomorrow, I’m going to be a bit more Scientific about the testing, ive set the countdown timer on the NB4 to 5mins, after that amount of time I will check all temps, I will do this all the way through the packs so I can get clear indication of runtime and temps, after this testing I can reevaluate the gearing and esc settings 

• Like 1

Another 5 mins and it was about the same, the next run I just carried on till the LVC kicked in, it managed 8mins, I was doing a few wot runs towards the end to see how hot I could get everything and the motor got up to 70c, esc and battery were around 45c

Speed wise I didn’t really noticing much difference, the area I run is pretty compact, tbh I think I will leave the gearing alone for now….

LVC kicked in at 3.5v, that’s much better than the 3.2v from the last run, so I got 18mins run time with happy end voltages, Ill probably start doing 6mins runs with a few mins cool down in between 👍 

All in all a pretty successful morning and the truck is running like a champ, the only things that stop play today was a blow tyre and motor connector popped out of the esc after a big back flip with a tank slapped landing 😂😂😂

The only other thing I want to do is stick a silicone ear plug in the centre diff to stiffen it up and I may give my motor fans a test 👌 

• Like 3

Ohh and on closer inspection the pillow ball retainers on the  front hubs have wound themselves out, M2C do a nice kit to fix this though and Badtouch have them instock, I could just glue them in place, but that’s not really my style 🤣🤣🤣

Yeah definitely, I may go up a couple teeth later in the year, but for now I’m happy 👍 

Ive put the lipos into storage and they took in 3100mah, so going from 3.2v to 3.5v LVC has only lost 400mah of usable battery capacity 

• Like 1

On 24/06/2022 at 16:25, .AJ. said:

Forgot to say, I’ve fitted the servo along with a Vitavon servo saver and a EXB alloy servo saver axle thingy 

1-E407-F4-C-019-A-407-B-8-A9-C-7-B50-D5-

The speed of this one is in another league compared to the Power HD, it’s like having a super quick 35kg servo in a 1/8th Truggy 😂

What do you think of that Vitavon servo saver ?

Is it better than the stock version and why did you change it, were you having issues.?

I have a 70kg 7.4v servo on mine and the steering lock is pretty awful, was wondering if it's the saver causing my issues, also mine seems to have more steering lock turning right when it's on the ground, yet when it's up on the bench with the wheels off the ground the steering is equal..!!

I only really changed it for fun tbh, I can’t really see any improvements over the stock set up tbh. What servo are you running? The big AGFRC is really powerful and precise in operation. I would do a vid but the truck is still in bits, my Badtouch order with the M2C pillow ball retainers has gone missing and Badtouch are ignoring my emails 😔 

24 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

I only really changed it for fun tbh, I can’t really see any improvements over the stock set up tbh. What servo are you running? The big AGFRC is really powerful and precise in operation. I would do a vid but the truck is still in bits, my Badtouch order with the M2C pillow ball retainers has gone missing and Badtouch are ignoring my emails 😔 

That's not like Adrian to ignore emails..🤔 maybe he's super busy.. (the retainers are excellent an upgrade)

It's a proper 1/5 sized 70kg SPT servo, it's only a cheapo but it seems pretty strong.

Do you have a link for the servo you're using.??

Since posting here earlier today I ordered the servo saver, I needed new rear arms (broke one yesterday) that made it free shipping 🤣🤣

This is the servo, it’s not a straight bolt in though, it needs spacing forward by a couple mm because of the depth of the case, plus you need to source a m3.5 x 30mm screw and dremel it to the correct length to hold on the servosaver 

https://www.taylorrc.co.uk/product-page/brushless-78kg-0-08s-8-4v-servo-for-1-5th-cars

• Like 1

1 hour ago, .AJ. said:

Badtouch are ignoring my emails

There has been a few posts about this on FB group as well and Adrian responded saying he has been super busy. I'm sure he will get back to you soon.

I’ll just get a stock set of retainer and super glue them in, the M2C ones were meant to be here last Tuesday and were posted 1st class, so looks like Royal Fail have lost them,  also the silicone earplugs I’ve ordered for the centre diff at the same time from eBay have disappeared.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

I’ll just get a stock set of retainer and super glue them in, the M2C ones were meant to be here last Tuesday and were posted 1st class, so looks like Royal Fail have lost them,  also the silicone earplugs I’ve ordered for the centre diff at the same time from eBay have disappeared.

If you’re desperate for an earplug i can send you one or two?

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1