• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

big wheels & shredding spurs!

Tingting44

no matter how perfect i get the gear mesh im still chewing through spurs like mad, im running rustler 4x4 vxl 3s with pro line trencher 2.8's, had enough of it, am i right thinking a center diff instead of a slipper will help with this problem?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/traxxas-centre-differential-kit-complete-440080

I doubt it. 

I had the same problem with an HPI, turns out the slipper assembly wasn't molded correctly, so the spur gears were never seated centrally. As I rotated the spur by hand, I had high and low points. This meant no amount of adjustment was going to give a proper mesh because the gap widened and closed during rotation. 

Does your mesh stay consistent during rotation?

• Like 2

ive got the traxxal ali mount so not that, also got the e-revo slipper clutch so not that either, my 2 options im thinking of is upgraded spur to metal along with upgraded diffs or center diff with upgraded diffs, running 10/54 gearing also

also never bash it lately, only run in the community center on concrete (no jumps at all) so im just baffled 

Edited by Tingting44

I had the same problem on my rustler 4x4 after 3 battery packs I stripped the spur, and that with a correct mesh and slipper, I have the center diff with metal spur in it now and I have no more problems.

• Like 1

cheers for your input brains, got a reply back from msuk, i just dont know what to do lol, its none of the below reasons tho 😞

Hello 

If you are damaging the teeth then this would usually be either incorrect meshing, or it could be dirt which has got between the gears.

If you are burning the centre's out then this would be due to the clutch slipping too much, incorrect setting, not enough tension on the spring.

We would also advise checking that the tyres do not have any water in them as often this will add additional load on to the transmission, and check that none of the bearings have failed on the prop, motor shaft.

Because you are using 3s batteries Traxxas do not suggest that the centre diff is used, so that would not be an option.

In all honesty we very rarely see any issues with the standard part, "spur" and would not usually suggest a metal spur gear. 

Edited by Tingting44

13 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

At least you found the problem mate :good:

yeh the feeling of finding the problem is so pleasing, ordered a stock spur and i feel like 11t pinion for a bit of a change, both ordered 🙂

• Haha 1