• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

grasshopper 2 aka hoppy 2 :D

As much as I respect (and adore) what Tamiya have done for the hobby, I find them great for nostalgia purposes and building, but theyre just not built to be used in 2022 IMO haha. Looks like you had fun though!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

What a journey bud - I'm with @Kpowell911on this they look bloody awesome, but a part of me wonders if they're literally designed to be "functional" shelf items. Whatever is going on you appear to be having fun so seems like a really good buy for you 🙂  

yeh its is really good fun with the bouncing and under steer and over powered 21turn 540 motor i might tone down the motor lol it came with a i believe a 27turn 380 size motor lmao  remember it originally came out in 1988,  i get bored with high performance ones some times and just want something thats slower and a laugh due to its handling like this and the lunchi/pumpkin 🙂

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, froggy8 said:

that car looks good mate 🙂 

reminds me when i had the porsche 959, that handled awesome, took it to a gravel yard.

cheers bud, i toppeled it and it rolled side ways up a curb all on concrete earlier, no damage, it really does have insane handling, i dont think the oil shocks are doing any thing and the understeer is something else plus the almost like plastic hard rubber tyres make for a interesting ride where the slightest pebble can really set it off course, basically its a good laugh and fun 🙂 and im glad i bought it as it complements my grasshopper 1 which runs a 380 very well and i might go a comical grass hopper next just for lolz and to complete the set 🙂

edit: good thing i bodged it stronger than original one as i ordered the wrong chassis, i should of ordered the grasshopper2/super hornet chassis,  i ordered the normal hornet chassis oh well spare chassis for hoppy 1 coming soon and it needs it 😛

i think it shares a chassis with the rising fighter as well which is even more prone to rolling lol https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/tamiya-rising-fighter-no-esc-1335425

edit i just stuck on its masive ariel tube, just for super retro astheitc drunken resaons, thinking of putting a litle flag on it 😛

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bert_w164 said:

Hey I'm all for big antenna tube, for me it puts the bug into buggy! Until you land it upside down on a track and it eventually snaps off 😔

Thats what a little bit of nitro fuel tubing is for, when it snaps just use a little fuel tubing and you have a flexible joint where it snapped  🙂

• Like 2

i locked the 2 pivot parts where the gearbox connected to stop the gearbox slapping about, not enough room for a 5th shock and the back suspension is pretty stiff any way so it would be pointless 🙂

NCkWha4.jpg

3PqiBF3.jpg

fOyb7to.jpg

MY2Llko.jpg

saves buying a ampro brace or faffing about nice and simple, might see about softer springs now and ordered some gold wheel nuts that look orange in the picture but they say gold, either colour would suit it, and ordered the frog 2005 hex adapters so that i can whack on 12 hex wheels 🙂

edit: i have lost count the amount of times it has rolled or skidded upside down on concrete and nothing has broke cept for the initial test drive and there is wear on the wee skid plate i put on the other side woot its working, i snapped a part of a lunchbox u bracket i had spare and that fits over the undamaged shock mount perfect to protect it and the rest of the ubracket is what my damaged shock mount has over it as a new mount  🙂

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...