• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Viking cove RC herja chassis is born

Hell horn.

Hey Hell Horn I can picture it now, thats really quite ingenious yet as with all good ideas obvious! Barring dirt ingress in the rims, possibly causing any obstruction are there any downsides? 

20 minutes ago, Shergar said:

Hey Hell Horn I can picture it now, thats really quite ingenious yet as with all good ideas obvious! Barring dirt ingress in the rims, possibly causing any obstruction are there any downsides? 

The big downside is you lose a good chunk of the flex you get from tyres.  With the wheels we use.  They run tyres about 5.5 Inch.  So with a 2.2 wheel we get 3 inches of flex give or take a bit.  Remove an Inch or so from the hanger part of the wheel.  It makes choosing foam's even more important to get right.  To hard and the Tyre doesn't flex enough.  To soft and it bottoms out on the tyre to easily. Get it right and jackpot.  Not everyone wants to or needs to run this set up. I just wanted to build an option into my range of parts if wanted.  And I want to give it a try and see how much or a difference it makes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

So as the wheel rotates the hanger is able to move and always be at bottom of wheel?

I could try and make something to do that.  And see if it would work.  But I'm guessing that there isn't anything in the market that does this.  Might mean it's not worth working on. 

• Like 1

On 24/05/2022 at 23:11, Hell horn. said:

I could try and make something to do that.  And see if it would work.  But I'm guessing that there isn't anything in the market that does this.  Might mean it's not worth working on. 

Been done before. Hangers sat on a separate bearing... trouble is they can rock around sometimes causing jerkiness....

47 minutes ago, stimpy said:

Been done before. Hangers sat on a separate bearing... trouble is they can rock around sometimes causing jerkiness....

That's what I thought. Any hard bump or movement is going the make the weights swing around messing everything up.

• Like 1

Did some more work on the larger front weight hangers.  Think the hanger is finished now.  Just got to finish design on the wheel part now. 

PXL_20220527_214726280.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit slow this week or 2. Little one on holiday so all my time is spent looking after him. And having massive fun messing around.  

Then I got the flu at the weekend. So that's me done for most of this week. But managed to smash the Capra herja together.  Just need to make some links next and a few bits to arrive to finish it off .and got any idea in the pipe line. Ideas ideas ideas. Always to many to make them all. But slowly coming together

PXL_20220608_181622933.jpg

• Hell horn. changed the title to The Viking cove RC herja chassis is born

Some slow progress on this.  Got some parts printed in pa12 from weerg to test the quality.  Spot on so will be using them again.   Made progress on a lot of my ideas for part's. 

I launched my page on Facebook.  Viking cove RC.  Feel free to have a look.  It's my home for all my parts I'm making.   My herja chassis.  My wheels.  The items I design and print for people. And weight hangers for all sorts of car's.  

As for the Herja chessis.  Not much to say.   It's been running Nicely all year.  And now with the nicer parts from weerg it's all set to go live. Once I can get a bunch made that is. 

Got a small run of my wheels being made.  Available in a month ish.  

PXL_20221018_183603695.jpg

PXL_20221018_164536764.jpg

PXL_20221018_085706435.jpg

PXL_20221017_221909292.jpg

PXL_20221017_221840216.jpg

PXL_20221017_152501240.jpg

PXL_20221016_062322018.jpg

• 3 months later...

An update on the Viking cove RC parts. 

Chassis is not changed other then an upgraded skid. Now it comes with m3 inserts fitted for extra strength.  

New body nuts.  Smaller and fitted with m3 inserts. 

I have designed a gearbox.  It uses rc4wd bully gears.  Compact and light.  This one is designed for flat Axles. I'm getting the last bits made for my test unit this week.  And as long as that goes well. I will be selling a kit for the gearbox.  

PXL_20230215_165811534.jpg

PXL_20230215_191948265.jpg

PXL_20230214_180113792.jpg

• Like 1

I also make a set of 2.2 wheels.  Carbon fiber face and a main body made from reinforced pa12 for super light weight and strength.  Fully beadlock set up.  And with an id of 56mm plenty of room to fit over portals and weight hangers. 

The hangers are for Capra axles. I also make them for you he bully axles and ar60 set ups 

PXL_20230124_130246881.jpg

PXL_20230118_204305109.jpg

PXL_20230111_165332665.jpg

• Like 3