• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Viking cove RC herja chassis is born

Hell horn.

Fingers crossed Saturday.  If not I'm aiming for Tuesday or Wednesday next week.  Family and work tend to get in the way a lot. Lol

• Like 2

Carbon parts are all custom cut for me. Designed by me.  Printed parts are all pla tough for now.  Planning to try out some other types of once I have them. 

• Like 1

I took a built chassis to work this morning to show my boss.  And decided to see how much the chassis weighs. A massive 63 grams. A 5th dimension sucker punch is around 84. I could get that lower with some titanium bolts too.  I think I could hit sub 50 if wanted. 

• Like 1

They could be a possibility.  But they will add weight over this set up. If I could find some 60mm me tubes to try I could test them. I'd need 6 of them.   So it would add a good chunk to the cost of the chassis too

• Like 1

Miss read that the first time.  Thought you ment chassis brace. As for links.   I made some before. Didn't really save any weight and flxed to much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The film is after it lost a drive shaft pin. So I had to fix it with a bent m5 bolt. It's then   Snapped the rear link riser. Had to go back to the stock link point. So it has a horrific drive shaft angle. I was filming and driving together. And trying to keep a 5 year old under control. I think it did really well. It's still not set up fully yet. I really can't drive and film at the same time.   Not after my stroke unfortunately. So it's not the best. The car climbed over stuff really well. Until it all went wrong lol.  Need to set the car up better and try again

• Like 1

After a lot of rude words.  4 different test items. And a lot of messing about and a nice headache my pro44 link riser is finished.  Not the most tidy item. But it's good enough for now.  Time to print a final one off and get it fitted. Also sorted the weight hangers last night.  Added 40mm to the axle.  One more job sorted off the list. 

Have already fixed the issue with the 2 small holes in the weight hangers.  Moved them slightly. Getting some slugs made for it next week. 

PXL_20220512_202616404.jpg

PXL_20220512_202607120.jpg

PXL_20220512_202600482.jpg

PXL_20220511_195402344.jpg

PXL_20220511_195349831.jpg

• Like 3

Got the herja out at breakheart quarry in dursley this morning with a group of people.  about 20 if us with all sorts of cars.  A total of around 100 gates set up accros the site.  The herja did brilliantly.  Hit everything and didn't have any issues climbing over it all. No issues with the car.  Nothing Broken or fell off.   Was a brilliant test for it.  No videos sorry.  I was having to much fun to remember ha. Next time definitely get have some. 

• Thanks 1

A few orders placed for my chassis.   Helping a friend build a sporty with my chassis and some spare parts.  He is super excited to be building one. I also have  2 more chassis sets on order to put together if anyone is interested in. 

The ar60 servo mount is done. And started work on a set of cheap glue on 2.2 wheels  not finished yet.  But a basic idea for a set anyway. 

PXL_20220518_200501457.jpg

PXL_20220518_200453981.jpg

PXL_20220519_064513714.jpg

PXL_20220519_064503449.jpg

• Like 3

So I decided to have a go at making some weight hanger wheels for my herja project.   Almost sorted now.  Just a little adjustment and they will be done. 

PXL_20220524_181532625.jpg

PXL_20220524_181209731.jpg

• Like 1

So with the hangers.  It places a set of weights below the axle hight of the car.  Making its cog as low as possible and putting weight right where you want it most. The tyres.  And. It having the weight high up.  

So picture of the full car is a single weight hanger for a stock beadlock style wheel.  It drops a small amount of weights just below the axle.   This helps wth cog a little.   

The extreme version is the picture of parts of a wheel.  This version cuts out a section of the wheel and gives space to hang a bigger amount of weights right down inside the wheel.  Dropping cog as low as possible. 

The last 2 pictures show the 2 style of wheels I have designed. The full wheel is a more standard wheel.  It has 2 faces.  And 6 spacers to join the 2 faces together.  Giving a open space of around 44mm.  The other wheel is the extram version.  It has the spacers removed and pushed down inside the wheel.  This gives me around 75mm of space to put a weight hanger in. Giving twice the amount of weight even lower in the wheel.  Giving the best cog and tyre weight possible.  We don't run any weight in the wheels.   As this is the worst type of weight to have.  The hangers are fixed to the axles eg the ar60 in my case.  

PXL_20220524_204203604.jpg

PXL_20220524_204118088.jpg

PXL_20220524_063602275.jpg

PXL_20220524_204500896.jpg

PXL_20220524_204435194.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can see in this pic the most extreme version of the hangers.  As you can see the weights are fixed to the axle hub.  And then sit right down inside the wheels.  And you can see with the car picture how they work. 

Screenshot_20220524-215001.png

Screenshot_20220524-215240.png

• Thanks 1