• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless Truggy : Hyper ST Pro, or high end Losi 8 XTE?

Hi All,

Been looking at truggies for a while, and something for the pooch to chase as well as general bashing.

Have followed @StormbringerStorms Hyper ST conversion and initially considered a hyper ST Pro with the motor mount, battery tray and servo mount mods, and maybe a higher end Losi 8 XTE.

As the Hyper ST Pro is 10 years old, and its successor the SS is not as sturdy, was wondering peoples thoughts if the £300+ extra cost of a Losi 8 XTE is worth it over a ST Pro.

Have seen other Losi 8 XTE posts suggesting they are as bomb proof as a ST Pro, and the benefit the Losi 8 XTE comes with all the brushless bits without additional spend, won’t require any additional drilling of holes and all engine mount holes will be fully covered.  Wondering if the Losi 8 XTE is lighter and has better performance, but as not racing, I wont take advantage of.

The Tekno and Mugen truggies don’t seem available in the UK, which could have been in consideration.

The Losi 8 XTE also appeals with the easy access to diffs etc.

Will be selling a vintage (v1) Stampede and a vintage Schumacher 21 XTR-3e 3 speed, and ultimately looking to get the best bang for my buck with reliability! I've a Hyper 7 so use to stripping and building a Hobayo.

Cheers!

You can still buy the ST pro roller new

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobao-hyper-st-truggy-pro-28366

As for other truggy,s you mentioned i dont have any knowledge of them but the st is tough tho

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

You can still buy the ST pro roller new

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobao-hyper-st-truggy-pro-28366

As for other truggy,s you mentioned i dont have any knowledge of them but the st is tough tho

Hi @Stormbringer,

Apologies, I didn’t mention the ST Pro is still available brand new, and prices are good on modelsport. The XTE is reduced to under £700 too…

I’ve been interested in an ST Pro for a while, and then the thought of ..... would an XTE avoid the faff of drilling holes and shaving things off posts here and there ....   while costing roughly 300 beer tokens more.

And I’m realistic any truggy will pop a shock, bend a tower, bend the chassis attempting silly jumps.

I’d also consider other brands like the Kyosho; the ST Pro appeal is the £300 ish cost saving, with maybe not as sharp handling, and more faff to build as brushless and future diff maintenance.

Cheers!

• Like 1

thanks @Jumperfor the Tekno reminder.

I discounted Tekno after the comments in the rc news thread, but now swaying to an ET48 2.0, as the 8IGHT XTE doesnt seem a basher.

The ET48 seems to be a basher and durable, but ugly! There does seem to be a nicer triggy body for it... And after reading reviews some put it over the mugen equivalent....

2 hours ago, RcHov said:

thanks @Jumperfor the Tekno reminder.

I discounted Tekno after the comments in the rc news thread, but now swaying to an ET48 2.0, as the 8IGHT XTE doesnt seem a basher.

The ET48 seems to be a basher and durable, but ugly! There does seem to be a nicer triggy body for it... And after reading reviews some put it over the mugen equivalent....

Yes the main issue with the newer one is that it is really ugly. 

21 hours ago, Jumper said:

Yes the main issue with the newer one is that it is really ugly. 

I think I'm sold with the Tekno! Comes with the diff and shock oil (unlike the losi).

AND theres a nicer shell  - LFR Patriot - which then makes its look the part!

Stampede and Schumacher 21 XTR-3e 3 speed have bids already, so watch this space!

• Like 1

I love Teknos!! Such quality.   I have an MT410 but also the older ET48. I have to say the ET is solid, I really didn't think id like it as much as I do; very stable in the air and pretty strong.

I also looked at the 2.0 version but at that time it was only just releasing and had little aftermarket support so picked up the older unit. I'm sure the support is there now.

And yes.... UGLY AS DUCK!!🤣 But plenty of bodies that will fit I'm sure...

Tekno ET48 2.0 ordered with the LFR Patriot shell and a couple of upgrade bits, from the thoroughly nice chaps at rprcdistribution, and unlike Wheelspin and Modelsport, would tailor a bundle!

Will attemtp to do a build log....

• Like 2