• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Any Mountain Bikers?

LunsfordRich

Yep, not that’s you’d guess from the state of my waistline or the place I live. Need to start getting out more again now it’s lighter in the evenings so I’ve got a chance of being fit enough if/when I can get away somewhere for a proper ride. 

6 hours ago, stimpy said:

I'm guessing you sell or fix bikes!..

Yeah, mostly I dream of it nowadays but must get out and ride more...

Fix em! I did get out last night and despite myself I enjoyed it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also managed to get out tonight and had a good time apart from being forced to take it easy on all the fun bits because of a skipping free hub. Annoyingly all the service parts I probably need to fix it seem to be out of stock everywhere. 😭

Hehe,

I could have written the first comment of BigGinge myself, COVID hasn’t been kind to my waistline!

Trying to get fit for a trip to the Alp’s September time, not going well thus far.

Spare parts are hard to find, I agree.

Was looking to sell my old bike and get a new 29er hardtail, to try and increase interest, but just found “Gumtree Chancers” casing my house at 4 in the morning. Lesson learned, eh!

Great riding options from home, here on the edge of the Pennines, when I can force myself out though.

Good riding guys.

Steve

Work on them for a living, and to be honest it has sucked all the joy out of riding them. I too also have an expanding waistline 🤣🤣

I would say to all of you that have local trails or woods, you don't really have an excuse to not go for a quick ride..!! I live nowhere near any trails etc and it's a minimum of a 1hr drive to anywhere good for me to ride... 😩

7 hours ago, BigGinge said:

I also managed to get out tonight and had a good time apart from being forced to take it easy on all the fun bits because of a skipping free hub. Annoyingly all the service parts I probably need to fix it seem to be out of stock everywhere. 😭

What bits do you need?

2 hours ago, LunsfordRich said:

What bits do you need?

A star ratchet service kit for a DT Swiss free hub, ideally the 18 tooth one given how much more the 36/54 teeth ones go far.  

I’m going to try and give the parts I have a good clean and regrease before I head out on it again to see if that helps but from what I’ve read skipping probably means the ratchet parts are done. If I do need to replace parts it’s not the end of the world as I do have another bike I can ride/steal bits from while I wait. 

2 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

I would say to all of you that have local trails or woods, you don't really have an excuse to not go for a quick ride..!! I live nowhere near any trails etc and it's a minimum of a 1hr drive to anywhere good for me to ride... 😩

It’s about a 20-30 minute drive to my usual spot but with living on the edge of the fens in east anglia the local riding isn’t exactly challenging. 

I gave it a clean before going out in a gentle 15km ride with the lad this afternoon (he’s only six so we don’t go too fast yet) and it seems to be better. Didn’t get to really push it at any point so don’t know if it’s completely sorted but I’ll keep my fingers crossed when I head out next time and will try and get a spare on order when they come back into stock. 

@LunsfordRich  Does that sticker mean you work at TF Tuned?

4 hours ago, BigGinge said:

I gave it a clean before going out in a gentle 15km ride with the lad this afternoon (he’s only six so we don’t go too fast yet) and it seems to be better. Didn’t get to really push it at any point so don’t know if it’s completely sorted but I’ll keep my fingers crossed when I head out next time and will try and get a spare on order when they come back into stock. 

@LunsfordRich  Does that sticker mean you work at TF Tuned?

No mate but I do use them quite a bit!

• Like 1

I was gonna leave it a few weeks until it gets a bit warmer up here, but after seeing on the forum folks out and about on bikes.

I dug mines out the shed, gave it a clean, oiled and checked all the nuts and bolts.

I'm kinda blessed with cycle paths where I stay, not a downhiller 😀

I got an older Cannondale that has had everything done bar the forks, had a good time and discovered a few awesome  RC spots in the process.

• Like 3

Nice couple of bikes there @LunsfordRich

I have in my collection...

2015 Trek Farley 6 Fatbike

IMg-180600.thumb.jpg.3c0324c256a548d8c65e54892817983e.jpg

2016 Cube Stereo 140 C62 SL

IMG_20160527_165651.thumb.jpg.1e864fbb8f2ef76f864309224b6fd080.jpg

Octane One Prone (built up from spares I had lying around)

IMG_20190821_125840.thumb.jpg.dafacaccaa750fde0ad77134c26294dd.jpg

2020 Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 Action Team E-Bike

20201216_211357.thumb.jpg.c66cd2b17e45b059d306761ea029ee9c.jpg

And from 'back in the day' some wall art.....

2000 Mountain Cycle Tremor FR-1

DSC00011.thumb.JPG.cdad2a5117fea2ba321964612716f9d2.JPG

2002 Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9Point5

DSC00033.thumb.JPG.272bd5db8ad6b3fc81cc5cf2d7880791.JPG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrPeaski said:

Nice couple of bikes there @LunsfordRich

I have in my collection...

2015 Trek Farley 6 Fatbike

IMg-180600.thumb.jpg.3c0324c256a548d8c65e54892817983e.jpg

2016 Cube Stereo 140 C62 SL

IMG_20160527_165651.thumb.jpg.1e864fbb8f2ef76f864309224b6fd080.jpg

Octane One Prone (built up from spares I had lying around)

IMG_20190821_125840.thumb.jpg.dafacaccaa750fde0ad77134c26294dd.jpg

2020 Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 Action Team E-Bike

20201216_211357.thumb.jpg.c66cd2b17e45b059d306761ea029ee9c.jpg

And from 'back in the day' some wall art.....

2000 Mountain Cycle Tremor FR-1

DSC00011.thumb.JPG.cdad2a5117fea2ba321964612716f9d2.JPG

2002 Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9Point5

DSC00033.thumb.JPG.272bd5db8ad6b3fc81cc5cf2d7880791.JPG

Have you seen the full Sus Farley? I’ve absolutely no reason to buy one but I quite fancy it!

I had seen them when fatbikes were more of  'a thing', but like you had no reason to buy one.

If I was to have only 'one bike to do it all', I think it would be along the lines of a 150mm full sus fatbike with a motor.

But I do like the option to choose.

9 minutes ago, MrPeaski said:

I had seen them when fatbikes were more of  'a thing', but like you had no reason to buy one.

If I was to have only 'one bike to do it all', I think it would be along the lines of a 150mm full sus fatbike with a motor.

But I do like the option to choose.

That’s the thing though there really isn’t one bike to cover all. My next will be a short travel full sus. I might get a stage evo as I tested one a while back and is was great. A Trek Top Fuel is also a possibility. Not sure about all this downcountry lark they’re just a trail bike surely!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MrPeaski said:

Gravel Bike = Hardtail MTB with curly bars

Had a few people coming in asking about flat bar gravel bikes. So basically you want a mid nineties mountain bike with modern brakes then?!

• Haha 2

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice on what look for as I want to replace my 2012 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc as its past its best.

Mainly ride farm tracks,  footpaths / bridleways

Looking to spend under £1000

If you can stretch the budget a bit this is quite a lot of bike for the money (especially considering how the bike market has been for the last couple of years. 

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/vitus-sentier-27-vrs-mountain-bike-2021/rp-prod195560

A friend bought one of the 27” VR spec ones (one step down from the Model linked above) last year and has been very happy with it. If that one is too much then the rest of the Vitus Sentier range are pretty sorted bikes that a pretty good on the value for money front. From the riding you describe you might get in better with the 29” wheel models over the 27” but both are going to be good bikes for most things. If you work somewhere that does the cycle scheme you should be able to pick one up at a reasonable discount too. 

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/s?q=sentier&cat=direct

The other bikes I’d potentially look at in that sort of price range and the Boardman MHT ones from halfords. Again they look to be pretty good value for money and seem to

get good reviews. 

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mht-8.9-mountain-bike-189358.html

Good to see this thread, I used to do a lot of mountain biking as a teen and then got a road bike as a form of transport to work/back. Now I have a car for commuting, I decided to sell the road bike and get back in to MTB.

Got myself a Vitus Nucleus 27VR 2021 - had it since the beginning of last year but started getting out on it more often towards the end of last year.

So far the changes have been:

DMR Deathgrips

DMR V8 pedals

Maxxis Aggressor rear tyre

Maxxis High Roller II front tyre

Tubeless setup

Shimano Saint BB

Tektro high performance ceramic/metallic compound pads (stock organics glazed easily)

Brand X 150mm dropper post

And yesterday I installed a 1x11 speed Deore setup - the stock 1x8 was ok but had quite a limited 11-42t cassette, the Deore has 11-51t for steep climbs that I found myself struggling up.

I took some time setting up the bike to my liking (cockpit, fork pressures etc...) and I love it now.  All the upgrades I do will be with the mindset that I will then move the parts on to a higher end through-axle frame in the future. 

I also serviced the shocks very early on and installed oil soaked foam rings, also used peatys suspension grease upon reassembly and they have been super plush ever since - most of the issues people have with these budget forks are because the stock grease is terrible and in there for longevity and not performance. As I don't mind more frequent servicing I went with a more performance oriented setup. 

udgT5qK.jpg

5JAJdtU.jpg

L8DWFbI.jpg

Edited by ostewart
  • Like 1