• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Shall i go for a petrol RC car?

paradeben

Hi!

I've over the last year had tons of fun with my electric 1/18 RC Buggy. It can go a little more than 40 mph, and i really enjoy driving it.

I'm getting pretty good at driving it, but i think it's very anoying to charge batteries for such a short driving time - and new batteries are expensive! Overall, i also feel a little 'meh'. Its fun driving, but it lacks something.

Yesterday i was in my local RC hobby store, and the seller introduced me to this 1/5 petrol-drivin RC buggy. It looked awesome, and i felt really tempted to buy it. It was a baja something (i don't quite remember - i just want an overall response about petrol RC cars).

I really want to buy it, but I'm concerned that there is too much maintenence going in to it. Of course the seller - as the seller should - told me that there wasn't much more maintenence than just to clean it and ultimately make sure nothing was blocking the intake. This seems easy, and almost too good to be true. I want to be able to drive it, wait a month, and then still be able to fire it on without doing much. Is it possible? Is a petrol car worth it?

Yes it is worth it if you,

1. Have the space to run it with annoying other peeps and safely, I am not a fan of peeps running them in public parks.

2. You will have to spend your hard earned cash on maintenance and number of upgrades, kill switch being the first.

3. If you maintain the car, it will run with very little issues.

Just some some of my humble thoughts…..

They're worth it providing you get a decent one. However you need a fair bit of space to run them. They're are noisy and can sound like a two stroke motorcycle which can and will probably annoy every one around you if you run it in a public space like a local park. If you do run it in a public space you MUST fit a kill switch (good idea to fit one regardless of where you intend on running it) do not rely on the fail safe it's also not a good idea if the place you want to run it is crowded with people as it can and will seriously injure someone or damage something. You also need a fair bit of space to store and work on it.

I still love mine, but I am lucky to have a number of areas to run them in the middle of nowhere and have two tracks very close.

You have got ask yourself how much you are will to spend and continue spending  on all the shine upgrades….😎

• Like 1