• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Taking RC abroad on a Plane

Hey everyone, I've been in the Hobby for about 2 or so years now and love everything about it, I was wondering if I'd have any problems taking one of my cars away with me abroad on a plane. I've heard rumours that they are permitted but I wasn't 100% so maybe someone could just confirm that for me? (Realistically, I'd take the FTX Kanyon in a hand luggage with a 3s 5000mah LiPo battery)

What sort of problems could I face if I did? Because I don't fancy losing a car I've put so much money into! 😅

Thanks guys! 

I have been considering this very question myself.  I checked on the guidelines for KLM.  It is best to carry LiPo batteries in hand luggage.  Batteries rated up to 100Wh are okay.  Between 100-160Wh you need to "request permission".  Over 160Wh is not allowed.  They should be packed in the original packaging or if not available, a separate plastic bag.

I would guess shock oil, as with all other 'liquids' is subject to controls and limits on amounts. I wouldn't pack stuff like that personally.

Lipos are the main issue, but you may also find there are restrictions on carrying the transmitter in your hand luggage.

I doubt security will be all that happy to find a radio transmitter in your carry on......so I would ne asking the airline and getting a response I could verify. Being very clear about what goes in the baggage for the hold, and what goes in hand luggage avoids the awkward situation where you find yourself ejected from a flight thanks to over zealous reactions to your harmless bit of holiday fun.

On 17/04/2022 at 17:15, Nitroholic said:

I would guess shock oil, as with all other 'liquids' is subject to controls and limits on amounts. I wouldn't pack stuff like that personally.

Lipos are the main issue, but you may also find there are restrictions on carrying the transmitter in your hand luggage.

I doubt security will be all that happy to find a radio transmitter in your carry on......so I would ne asking the airline and getting a response I could verify. Being very clear about what goes in the baggage for the hold, and what goes in hand luggage avoids the awkward situation where you find yourself ejected from a flight thanks to over zealous reactions to your harmless bit of holiday fun.

Thanks for this.. I personally didn't think the transmitter would actually have been an issue! 

I don't think I was very clear with the shock oil haha, I meant the oil already in the shocks, not necessarily the bottle of oil.. Sorry! 😂

10 hours ago, that_traxxas_1.16_slash said:

Thanks for this.. I personally didn't think the transmitter would actually have been an issue! 

I don't think I was very clear with the shock oil haha, I meant the oil already in the shocks, not necessarily the bottle of oil.. Sorry! 😂

I'm sure a transmitter would be okay.  It is not mentioned as a prohibited item onboard an aircraft.  It does specifically mention RC vehicles but the guidance says they should not be used onboard as they could interfere with the aircraft systems.  This specifically implies that RC vehicles are allowed.

Shock oil is a difficult one.  If in a bottle, the situation is covered by the liquids rule.  If enclosed within a shock absorber assembly, not sure, but the quantity of liquid is very low and it is not easily accessible so probably okay.

1 hour ago, BlackSeaRC said:

I'm sure a transmitter would be okay.  It is not mentioned as a prohibited item onboard an aircraft.  It does specifically mention RC vehicles but the guidance says they should not be used onboard as they could interfere with the aircraft systems.  This specifically implies that RC vehicles are allowed.

Shock oil is a difficult one.  If in a bottle, the situation is covered by the liquids rule.  If enclosed within a shock absorber assembly, not sure, but the quantity of liquid is very low and it is not easily accessible so probably okay.

Awh I was hoping to drag race down the cabin. 😢😝

So if the transmitter isn't an issue and shock oil isn't an issue, then it should just be the batteries right? You have said batteries rated up to 100wh are okay, If its a 3s 5000mah I'm taking with me that's 55.5wh (v x mAh / 1000 = wh) so realistically it's alright right? 

Sorry for asking so many questions, I've never flown with RC before and I don't want anything taken away obviously so I'm still a bit apprehensive. 😬

Thanks guys! 

Edited by that_traxxas_1.16_slash

That is what KLM states but you need to check the restrictions on your specific airline.  By the way, I was actually planning to take the RC car to the airport prior to flying and specifically ask them.  Even then it is still a risk because no matter what the rules say, you only have to get one awkward person at the security check to say no and you are stuck.  My worry is that, in my experience at airports, some of those people who work there love to say no just to make their day more interesting.

7 hours ago, BlackSeaRC said:

That is what KLM states but you need to check the restrictions on your specific airline.  By the way, I was actually planning to take the RC car to the airport prior to flying and specifically ask them.  Even then it is still a risk because no matter what the rules say, you only have to get one awkward person at the security check to say no and you are stuck.  My worry is that, in my experience at airports, some of those people who work there love to say no just to make their day more interesting.

This is why I suggest contacting the airline ahead of travel and getting a response.

Being able to pull out a response from the airline stating it's OK, laying down any conditions and showing you complied tends to shut up the awkward person, and gives you some comeback in the event of real problems.

Yeah, If and when the time comes I'll be talking to everyone to get as much backup as possible haha.. I fly with EasyJet and so far they've been amazing so fingers crossed it's all good! 

Thank you so much for your help everyone and I'll let you know how it goes when I decide to do it! 

(and this is my first ever forum post as well so I'm glad at the quick responses I got 😄

Cheers again guys 👍