• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LC Racing, PTG-2 R Rally Car Build

Cuiken

On 18/04/2022 at 09:21, Cuiken said:

Okay, been a bit lax on updating here but actually managed to finish it off.

Wee feast of pictures:

bJCrcvP.jpg?1

sOuqMNo.jpg?1

s6zkUfB.jpg?1

WDpMzJj.jpg

ZEtz0W4.jpg

o7PlmMv.jpg

WpPE7wF.jpg

Then got fancy and added the (not included) carbon mudguard braces and slightly bodged on rear bumper and sway bars. The bumper mount also serves as a sway bar mount so I figured I'd attempt to have both. Took a bit of modding with a dremmel but fits quite well now.

YesUQ9H.jpg

Cj8Oc6K.jpg

R2Cwamn.jpg

Next I needed to find a shell. Initially I went for a pre-order of a finished Killerbody Alfa 75 (looks awesome) but then there seemed to be stock issues. So, cancelled that order and instead found a guy on Facebook running a custom shell painting business called Craggy Design. Great guy BTW, very responsive and easy to deal with. His designs are (IMO) superb)

https://www.facebook.com/craggydesign/

He had a pre-finished Phat Bodies V-Rally shell for sale at a good price so I jumped on that. Here it is test fitted (after drilling body mounts and cutting out wheel arches).

cIfMvoo.jpg

BTW, that's all paint. Not a single sticker!

I then went to town with warmed up gorilla tape to line the shell, mounted the rear spoiler and added set of slightly wider wheels.

Finished result!

lm3GNpT.jpg

6jXX0cK.jpg

4JUbpz2.jpg

WCgU2xc.jpg

I'm really chuffed with how it turned out. The look is spot on and I managed a decent job of cutting out the wheel arches etc (compass cutter BTW, brilliant tool).

Overall, the kit was a joy to assemble. All parts were nicely made and slotted together without hassle. The instructions were broadly accurate with just a couple of inconsistencies with screw length here and there.

As I've said before. the car comes pre-hopped-up  with sealed bearings and carbon fibre/aluminium /steel all over it. The only additions I made were the rear bumper (front one with a bit of dremmel bodging, just £4.99 BTW!), sway bars and mudguard braces (weird that they are not included in the kit but very cheap to add).

I'd say the bumper and braces are worth having, the sway bars may be a bit unnecessary.

How does it drive? Well I've only had one quick outing to a local car park but I was blown away by the way it handles. The steering is sharp and fast. It slides and drifts beautifully (better than any other car I have) without snapping into a spin. Suspension is nicely damped so it moves along really smoothly too. The MAX10 combo seems to have worked perfectly. No cogging at all and very smooth power delivery. Top speed is just where I'd want it with a 20T pinion and, despite being enclosed in the dust shell, neither the motor or ESC got hot on a 10 minute blast.

As much as I love my XV-01 rally car, I'd have to say the PTG-2 is in a different league. Additionally, I don't mean to pre-judge the forthcoming XV-02 but I really don't see how it can better this car. Let's wait and see 🙂 

The whole car looks great but it’s the red mud flaps that do it for me 😁

Does the kit include a pinion gear? 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MrCake said:

That Cosworth looks so good!  I was contemplating moving my receiver so that I could fit the dust shell but I think your photo shows how well it works 🤣

Cheers buddy 🍻 I’m pleased I went with the Cosworth although the Lancia Delta is my all time favourite.

Think I’m only gunna use the cover in wetter conditions from now on 😁

3 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

The LC is looking superb, just a bit of tweaking and it will be performing just how you want it , you did a great job on it

Cheers mate the tweaks have been tweaked 👍🏻It all ready for its next outing 

• Like 2

On 13/08/2022 at 11:44, tomr said:

First run this morning went great 👍🏻
I went with soft front springs and  medium rear’s  but felt it was  slightly tail happy, will  fit the medium fronts and change the shock position  for the next run. 

14FD479F-A10C-4C8D-B4B0-5E27487F5D00.jpeg

771F2438-45DD-4BAF-8B86-F08B3F5AE5FF.jpeg

ADF3EFDB-AF08-4CEF-9957-31C374B33D2B.jpeg

09995C0C-5478-478B-9146-DE7A2BA71334.jpeg

0A6F7AFE-2D47-4684-8004-9B93C20FA1AA.jpeg

Looks like a really good place to run it

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Shergar said:

Does it need wider rims? Is it a 200mm shell or is the picture distorting things?

It’s 190mm shell but it does look like the arches have swallowed the wheels doesn’t it 😁

I ordered some  3mm offset wheels that should be here in the morning  with a bit of luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

Carlos Sainz FTW. I want one of these in ever 90s rally car flavour!

I’ve been thinking about giving the little Tamiya  1/24 wrc kits a try over winter, if I like them I’ll maybe invest in an airbrush kit as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=wrc+rally+car+model+kit&_sacat=0

• Like 1