• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LC Racing, PTG-2 R Rally Car Build

Cuiken

On 07/05/2022 at 14:46, Mack said:

Did you notice anything off about the rear diff instructions? The spur gear assembly on the top of page 18 looks like the bearing should go on the side that calls for a spacer

Yes, it really does look like a bearing or spacer is 'missing' but actually it went together fine. Essentially, the drive shaft is supported at both ends but not in the middle. I think they are trying to avoid having three bearings on one solid axle as the one in the middle will suffer from any slight bend in the drive shaft.

4 minutes ago, Cuiken said:

Yes, it really does look like a bearing or spacer is 'missing' but actually it went together fine. Essentially, the drive shaft is supported at both ends but not in the middle. I think they are trying to avoid having three bearings on one solid axle as the one in the middle will suffer from any slight bend in the drive shaft.

If it’s anything like my EMB1, you can put an additional bearing in place of the spacer

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered the kit, what electronics are people using?

Where can you get the sway bar kit to fit the ptg-2 rally?

Has anyone fitted spacers to get the wheels to fill the wheel arches a bit better, if so what size spacers?

Cheers

Can’t comment on specific brands but I’d say you want a ~5500kv motor (for 2S). As mentioned, I’m using a max10.

Having run it a few more times I’m considering removing the sway bars. I just don’t think they are adding much. These are not specifically for the PTG2 but can be bodged in. Honestly, try it without first. They are an easy retro fit if you want them later.

Choose your body before deciding you want to widen the stance. In mine, I’m happy without spacers provided I use slightly more offset wheels.

Thanks Cuiken.

I have gone with a castle system at 5700kv as I plan to run on 2s.

I have ordered the Alpha Romeo 2000 body shell as that's what was available but might try and pick up the Lancia Delta later.

What sort of servo horn comes with the kit? If plastic is it worth upgrading to alloy?

Are you running a standard size or low profile servo?

Cheers, Nick

Alpha Romeo shell looks superb. It wasn't in stock anywhere when I built mine. Did you go for a sensored Castle combo? I think that'll be epic. The Max10 is really good but I'd be curious if a sensored motor might improve control in low speed corners. My XV01 has a castle sensored motor and low speed corners are probably the only area where is bests the PTG2.

A selection of plastic servo horns came with the kit but I don't think there's any issue with them. The car has a decent servo saver so it shouldn't be over loaded. Also, the small wheel size reduces impact on the whole steering setup. Certainly, no need to preemptively replace in my experience.

I went with the servo below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T7TLLK8?ref_=pe_27063361_487360311_302_E_DDE_dt_1

Really good. Plenty of power for a small car and really fast.

Enjoy your build.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone who has built the kit remember what weight of diff oil they used front and back, what shock oil and which of the springs provided? The manual just gives a range but no recommended starting point for setup. I'm probably going to drive it mostly on tarmac or loose dirt and gravel.

I also struggled getting the 0% rebound recommended in the manual but I am not too bothered as all the shocks have the same amount of rebound.

• 2 weeks later...

The kit is finished apart from the electronics. Generally a really enjoyable high quality build. A few small issues aside from my choice of motor colour, the pinion gear cover required a bit of modification to fit and you have to remove the top brace and spur gear cover to set the motor mesh but these are minor niggles.

IMG_20220625_103835839.jpg

IMG_20220625_104804819.jpg

IMG_20220625_104322991.jpg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, N1ck said:

I think it's going to be tight fitting all the wiring and electronics in neatly.

IMG_20220625_113617389.jpg

Can you solder some thinner gauge on the motor and esc?, looks a great chassis though

Edited by Ag100

57 minutes ago, Ag100 said:

Can you solder some thinner gauge on the motor and esc?, looks a great chassis though

Shorter motor wires would help and I might bypass the on / off switch and find a short sensor lead. There isn't much space for the receiver though and the Sanwa is pretty small.

It seems like a great chassis. I have a Tamiya TT02 SR to build up as another rally chassis next and I will have to throw a load of upgrades at it to get to a similar spec.

10 minutes ago, N1ck said:

Shorter motor wires would help and I might bypass the on / off switch and find a short sensor lead. There isn't much space for the receiver though and the Sanwa is pretty small.

It seems like a great chassis. I have a Tamiya TT02 SR to build up as another rally chassis next and I will have to throw a load of upgrades at it to get to a similar spec.

I have the EMB1 chassis it’s even tighter, runs a Hobbywing 10bl120 and a sanwa RX482, I have the esc and receiver on the top brace on mine, but I think these Rally ones have the Lebanese dust cover that goes over the chassis?

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get this painted and running? Keen to see how it looks under the alfa bodyshell.

Took mine out for a proper run a couple of nights ago. Just laps of a gravelly old car park but it was still fantastic.

I experimented with a lower level of punch than the stock setting on the MAX10 along with 8% drag brake. I think the lower punch helped keep it from getting too wild on the way out of corners and the drag brake helped generate oversteer on the way in. 8% may be too much though as it really hammered the battery life.

Ohh, and I experimented with adding a little weight up front (to mimic the forward mounted motor in the XV01). Two strips of roofing lead cut to fit on top of the front bumper. I think it reduced understeer a bit.

I actually had a chance to run it side by side with my mate's XV-02. They were quite similar really though the XV02 sits a little higher and so runs a little better off road and has a bit more body roll (which looks cool). The PTG-2 may be a bit better on-road for the same reasons.

Curiously the XV02 and PTG2 were definitely more alike to eachother than either were to the XV01s that we also ran.

• Like 2

@Cuiken, how would you rate these compared to the XV-01? And do you think you could narrow/reverse the performance differential between this and the XV02 with tweaks to the suspension set up, or is it likely to be something baked in to their respective designs?

Comparison to the XV-01 is difficult. They are  really different is the thing.

The XV-01 is a great car, it has that magical turn in behaviour and is remarkably composed give its relatively low ride height. The belt drive makes it dead quiet too. I use a Castle Mamba X in mine so it is extremely smooth.

The PTG2 is a far wilder car. Its chassis is clearly developed from a buggy and that shows. That's no bad thing but you get different handling. Having driven them side by side for an hour or so I'd say the PTG2 has more understeer (lessened now by the addition of weight up front) but more predictable oversteer. You can really drift it out of the corners. Some of this must be down to the MAX10 setup I'm using as this will not be as smooth as the Castle Combo but I think the majority of the difference is in the chassis. Could you tune the understeer out? maybe but I think the XV-01 just has an innate advantage there due to the motor location.

The PTG2 rides a little higher too and this helps when  off road stuff. It's definitely more composed when terrain is bumpier.

If you can only have one I'd say it's down to this:

1. XV-01. Subtler car. Magical turn in. Quite scale/realistic handling.

2. PTG2. Close relative to a buggy with mid/rear mounted motor. So, you get wilder handling (oversteer, drifting) but it copes better off road.

Depends what you are after. I guess for a true scale rally experience, maybe the XV-01 wins but the PTG2 is a more capable car and puts a massive smile on your face.

As to the XV-02. Chassis wise, it's closer to the PTG2 than it is the XV-01 (mid/front mounted motor, shaft drive) and I think that plays out in the handling. The kit currently being sold also comes with long dampers so it has a little more suspension travel than the PTG2 and this meant a bit more lean into the corners and it worked even better off road. Cornering wise I felt (based on a. quick blast) that it has gained a little more understeer compared to the XV-01 but is, overall, a little more stable.  Could you dial the handling of the PTG2 to match that of the XV-02? I'd probably say yes but you might need to find slightly longer shocks.

Hope that's of some use. 

All three of these cars are superb BTW, it's probably down to personal choice as much as anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, that's all really useful to know. Still not sure if I should buy a rally car or not but sounds like they should all still be on the short list based on their own individual characters. As long as I don't end up buying all three at some point.

• Haha 2

On 16/07/2022 at 15:45, BigGinge said:

Thanks, that's all really useful to know. Still not sure if I should buy a rally car or not but sounds like they should all still be on the short list based on their own individual characters. As long as I don't end up buying all three at some point.

You should definitely buy a rally car 🙂 

Joking aside, they are just terrific fun in the sort of spots that we have more of in the UK (smaller, poorly paved car parks etc). Being 1/10th they feel really fast at 30mph so you don't need huge spaces for them. Basically, I'm a fan.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay. I haven't had much time to finish the PTG2, partly because of work and partly because I got distracted with another rally chassis! Here's the Alfa body test fitted on the PTG2 but I think I may end up using it on the TT02 I have started, as the front foam bumper will need a lot of modification and the wheelbase isn't quite a perfect match. In the meantime I have also ordered the Lancia body which should be more of a drop on.

IMG_20220723_113554271.jpg

IMG_20220723_114444963.jpg

IMG_20220723_114722448.jpg

IMG_20220723_113757911.jpg

• Like 2

On 25/06/2022 at 20:02, N1ck said:

Turns out the pinion cover needs more modification. A terrible high pitched squeal turns out to be the pinion rubbing on the cover. At least it's an easy fix.

IMG_20220625_200220390.jpg

Which model castle motor is that?

2 minutes ago, Ag100 said:

Which model castle motor is that?

It's the Copperhead combo with a 1406-5700kv motor. Don't ask me what it's like as I haven't had a chance to drive it yet save for a quick test run in the garden at low speed. The sensored motor is certainly very smooth but I need to get tyres glued and magnetic body posts sorted then she's ready.

• Thanks 1