• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Team Corally Radix / Python Owners

Just picked up the Radix XP 6s for £339 - seems like a right bargain!

I'll be running it on 4s - never really found the need to run 6s in a 1/8th buggy before and doubt I will now. I may up the pinion a tooth or two, but I will see how it handles stock. I have ordered turnbuckles for the front and rear to replace the stock fixed plastic links, along with HD steering knuckles and aluminium rear arm holders (although the stock ones look pretty sturdy).

Future upgrades may include aluminium chassis braces and front arm holders, but we shall see, I mainly hope to only upgrade if I break things. This seems really well thought out and built right out of the box, the electrics are one of the reasons I went with this model, they seem really good (even the servo) and I'll only be swapping the radio gear to my usual Spektrum setup.

ujcGdqu.jpg

v2nO0Is.jpg

ThVbFj7.jpg

03249FF.jpg

37 minutes ago, Darren Frosty said:

oh you do realise the arm holders are aluminium inside already? just not posh aluminium.

Yeah I didn't know that before buying the posh aluminium ones, thought they were plastic.... oh well

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Darren Frosty said:

oh as with most cars, you should check your diff oil levels before running it much, I had one full and two half empty. and check the shock tops/bottoms are tight as two of mine dumped all their oil quite soon.

I plan to, I've got quite a few diff oils / shock oils from my years in the hobby 🙂 this is my 3rd 1/8 buggy

• Like 1

It handles really really well - really enjoyable but the first bash lasted all of 20 mins at some dirt jumps 😂 I did say I wouldn't bash it too hard on it's first run, but that didn't last long - was doing big jumps as it just flies through the air so easily and is very controllable

Sadly the stock front upper arm design isn't very good - so XTR parts on order that clamp everything together - like @.AJ. installed on his 4s Radix - will need to drill 2 holes in the stock shock tower. 

Either way - for £50 worth of parts to increase durability here, it's still a great buggy, especially for the price. The stock electrics are superb on 4s, enough speed for me and very driveable.

I did change all the stock oils, diffs are 5k-7k-3k and 40wt shock oil in the front and 35wt rear.

z6halzh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed 😄 

Although my local track might start up a 1/10 SCT class again - in the back of my mind I should sell this and get a SCT haha....

P1Amvwa.jpg

1t3M7cW.jpg

Edited by ostewart

Got a whole pack through it on Sunday - some fun bashing and the 6200mah packs I have lasted a while.

Only breakage was this, got some skid plates on the way too which may help. I wouldn't mind getting metal chassis braces one day too, as there is quite a lot of flex, and the stock springs are also quite soft.

tiK6gqO.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/RDRMrKl.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/GWHlWFS.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/97ndQOj.mp4

Arrma Typhon springs are harder than the stock Corally's or you could of course get the Corally hard buggy springs.. 

I just got the hard Corally's, because for bashing the stock springs are way too soft in my opinion. I think the Typhon springs are just a tiny bit softer than the hard Corally's 👍🏼

Here's mine..

image.thumb.jpeg.b0f20e2a9ce6cf37fe6840b624c296ab.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Evening All

I've joined the club and got myself the Radix6. First 1/8 proper buggy to go with my resurrected Tamiya Bigwig from my 'yoof'.  (Was feeling a bit jealous of my boys and their big 1/10 FTX Carnages).  

Arrived today and been checking the diff & shock oils as suggested by Darren (got my skid plates on order)- centre and rear diffs very low but shocks fine. Just a pig to get the F&R differential covers off so ended up taking off the plastic and red alloy plates that hold the suspension axles/arms. Any alternatives ?

I have noticed the ride height is very low (esp front) and adjusting the spring collar isnt making much of a difference. Front seems to bottom out.

Suspension travel is less than the target measurements in the manual. Has anyone had this problem and got a suitable fix? 

Bit early to be thinking upgrades... but if on a budget which upgrades would people recommend (and in what order of priority). To be fair I'm not likely to go wild with skateboard park bashing & crazy jumps... just general fun - dirt tracks, forest trails, playing fields etc (that the Carnages can  also do without breaking)

Thanks all

Chris

Hi Chris

yeah you have to take the hinge pin holders off to get the diff case thing off, annoying isn't it. You need the corally hard springs front for sure, I have them on the rear too it's much better. A few good upside down landings and you'll muller the front shock tower so the 7075 one is probably going to be the next upgrade. Also depending on if yours has the new front suspension set up or not you might find that fairly easily damaged. Corally roll out upgrades gradually so you might have the old or newer version. 

Thanks Darren

As per PM, i wasnt expecting the Radix to bottom out from a 30cm drop but as you say it's more racing focussed than outright basher. I can see now why those TuneItHoonIt skid plates are popular😁

Will get on and order the new springs, especially as Team Corally support mentioned the latest revision has shorter springs on the front (details below). Will weigh up some of those other upgrades you suggested.

Have now hopefully sorted all the Diff and Shock Oil levels but boy those gears are still pretty noisy.

Video below to show- is more grease required somewhere, or are yours much the same?

Cheers

Chris

ps Nice parcel arrived this morning- will be bolting those on later!

RADIX 6 SPRING OPTIONS (& part nos)

Radix6 got revised front springs. Stock in the car You can find C-00180-401 (70mm medium). We did a revision for the longer option (75-77mm) for a bigger ride height and more setup option. Below You You can see whole range of springs for Radix.

Radix6 - Front Springs:
Hard: C-00180-628 (75-77mm)
Medium: C-00180-401 (70mm), and new revised longer one C-00180-627 (75-77mm)
Soft: C-00180-626 (75-77mm)

Radix6 - Rear Springs:
Hard: C-00180-291 (84-86mm)
Medium: C-00180-290 (84-86mm)
Soft: C-00180-289 (84-86mm)

Radix6_HandySkidPlates.jpg

Edited by Chris C
video in wrong position
  • Like 1

ok you've got the older style front end suspension set up so you will probably find you end up fixing that if you smash it into anything solid. Corally have several option for that I'm just trying to find the flow chart they published for you to see.

It does sound like it's grinding a bit but if similar to yours then prob okay and just needs running in. 

I did slap on some extra grease in the gearboxes to the outside of the F&R diff gears where those meet the smaller gears to the driveshafts. I didnt add any more grease to the motor pinion and centre diff gear though-should I?  (I was under the impression from other brushed models that these models often arent lubricated but maybe that's metal pinion to plastic spur gear?)

I'll see how i go with an outdoor run but will be careful of any front end knocks. Irritating as it seems i have the latest revision of the Radix (latest esc with those additional capacitors) but delicate front end.

Thanks for posting the flowchart- I couldnt access the link to the C-00180-911 kit (doesnt seem to be listed on Corally website)

no the kit isn't out yet but the individual parts are. Corally are very good at updating things as they become aware of them.

I run pinion to centre diff spur dry, well a bit of gt85 if I can be arsed. Is your mesh a bit tight maybe? should be the thickness of a sheet of paper apart.

Did you go for the XTR shock tower (C-00180-674), upgraded hinge pins, steering deck, and upper arm holder as well. Roughly how much did it set you back?

Tried gear mesh and was able to wind a sheet of paper in between the gears - it wasnt torn when i took it out again but it wasnt loose enough that i could just slide the paper out....

I noticed with the diffs there is no interaction between front and rear when i spin the F or R wheel by hand, as if centre diff isnt doing much.  Need to turn a bit more quickly and then suddenly the centre diff "slips/grinds" into action. I have a mix of factory (50k..) plus a dollop of 200k so not quite the 300k you're running at but i might thicken it up once ive used for a while.  (Not sure the video of my experiment amounts to much but it's there for comparison)

Let me know if you think there's anything more worth tweaking. I wouldnt be so particular with a cheaper less powerful model but this is some serious bit of kit and wouldnt take much to strip gear teeth if something isnt right.

Skid plates fitted and Hard springs on order (if i keep going I'll have justify to the Mrs 😉

centre diff looks fine to me, you want it partially locked up because unless you do, as soon as it wheelies all the power will go to the front wheels and they'll spin like mad, balloon up and probably break free of the rims. If you see that happening then stop straight away and reglue the tyres (I use Core RC 522, it's epic stuff)

I'll do you a shopping list for the XTR front end (by the way that isn't the buggy tower you quoted the part number for)

C-00180-424 7075 front tower (not required for conversion but you'll end up buying it anyway
C-00180-127 hinge pins
C-00180-672 arm holder
C-00180-673 steering deck
I also got the C-00180-679 steering deck holder but that was before they brought out the C-00180-739 deck holder with front body mount.
If you get the netal deck holder like I did bear in mind you have to cut about 5mm off the bottom of your body post or it sits weird.
oh and you have to drill a 4mm hole through the plastic bushings that your existing top hinge pins sit in.

I also have the rear 7075 tower and both 7075 chassis braces but that's just because I had cash burning a hole in my pocket and I like shiny things.

I also have the full set of 7075 lower hinge pin holders on it at the moment but I'll be selling those as I have all of the CRCU monstrously strong stuff to go on it (apart from the hex extenders)

https://customrcupgrades.com/teamcorally/

522 wheel glue on order. Shame neither Xmas nor Birthday are that close - will have to justify as post Covid treat or see if anyone on the forum wants to buy my vintage Tamiya Bigwig. Thanks for all your help!