• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hard case or soft pack 3s in a crawler?

Fat Freddy

I’m planning to get a couple of 3s batteries and I noticed you can get soft pack lipos much cheaper than hardcase.

They’ll be going into crawlers, so no danger of high speed collisions or tumbles, but I’m not sure how robust they’d be? They’re basically just shrink wrapped aren’t they?

How do soft case batteries react to being submerged in muddy puddles?

Anyone got any pointers? 

6 hours ago, rccar4life said:

You will Crawl ?

Are you total beginner ?

If you say Yes to both.

Then you need NI-HM pack

Best is NIHM for you.

Stay away from Lipos beginner.

Read about them before you use Please

Not very helpful and does not address the posters question

If 3s for the coyote i dont see it needs it but then yours is not stock, not sure about soft packs being submerged but saying that are hard case fully sealed, you can get Zeee 2s 5200mah on ebay for about £20 each, take the submerged out of the running and then yes soft pack would be fine in a crawler

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rccar4life said:

You will Crawl ?

Are you total beginner ?

If you say Yes to both.

Then you need NI-HM pack

Best is NIHM for you.

Stay away from Lipos beginner.

Read about them before you use Please

You seem nice 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Not very helpful and does not address the posters question

If 3s for the coyote i dont see it needs it but then yours is not stock, not sure about soft packs being submerged but saying that are hard case fully sealed, you can get Zeee 2s 5200mah on ebay for about £20 each, take the submerged out of the running and then yes soft pack would be fine in a crawler

Thanks, as you say, not sure 3s is entirely necessary, but I’m curious 🧐 

Having slept on it, unless someone responds to this saying soft packs are ok if dunked, I’ll probably stick to 2s for now.

If I wait til I can afford a hardcase 3s and then I can use it it faster cars too.👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steephill said:

I've run various soft case lipos in my crawlers without any problems for a good few years. I've properly drowned most of my crawlers. 

The answer I was hoping for. Thanks 👍

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ostewart said:

Me and my crawling friends all use soft case 3s lipos 

Thanks.

As it happens, I relented and bought a hard case… for now. Then I’ll feel happier using it in faster cars/for bashing.

But when finances allow, I plan to buy soft cases, to be used exclusively in crawlers.

Must be nice to have “crawling friends”, I’m billy bloody no-mates when it comes to RC

🙁🤣

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Fat Freddy said:

Thanks.

As it happens, I relented and bought a hard case… for now. Then I’ll feel happier using it in faster cars/for bashing.

But when finances allow, I plan to buy soft cases, to be used exclusively in crawlers.

Must be nice to have “crawling friends”, I’m billy bloody no-mates when it comes to RC

🙁🤣

The more the merrier, it definitely makes a difference going out with at least one other person.

Yeah I have hardcase 2s for bashers - soft case 3s (2900mah small ones) for crawling use

• Like 1