• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Injora/Axial Rock buggy/crawler

Lone-wolf

Bit of Banggood browsing this morning resulted in a great find a 5000mah 120C 2s hard case lipo but the shortie version jumped at it for £20 as it will sit nicely in front of the rear axle adds weight but not gonna make it rear heavy, and should give close on 3 hours crawl time

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Lone-wolf changed the title to Injora/Axial Rock buggy/crawler

What i strongly believe to be final mod done to this Injora/Axial crawler buggy, she now has an Axial gearbox fitted to get rid of the horrid whinny Injora one, this Axial one came out of my FS racing and i have fully stripped it cleaned it lubed it and replaced all bearings with decent rubber shielded, it was worth it, it now sounds sweet.

I have re named the thread as there is more Axial parts in this than original parts now ha ha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

What i strongly believe to be final mod done to this Injora/Axial crawler buggy, she now has an Axial gearbox fitted to get rid of the horrid whinny Injora one, this Axial one came out of my FS racing and i have fully stripped it cleaned it lubed it and replaced all bearings with decent rubber shielded, it was worth it, it now sounds sweet.

I have re named the thread as there is more Axial parts in this than original parts now ha ha

I recommend lengthening the wheelbase, the difference it makes is amazing  👍🏻

Edited by tomr
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, tomr said:

I recommend lengthening the wheelbase, the difference it makes is amazing  👍🏻

I like it at the wheelbase its at, i find it very agile, it bunny hops up rocks, i have said before but this rig has evolved into my best ever crawler and is well worth the upgrades

Looking good, quite interesting.

I've always leaned towards a more 'scale' looking crawlers/trail trucks. 

Had various over the years, SCX10's, SCX10.2's, Elements, TRX4...

Now really thinking I'd like a dedicated crawler... Be it a Element Ecto/Gatekeeper (although very similar to my Knightrunner just different body) and giving it big wheels, wide stance. The Axial RR10 Bomber and Ryft are too expensive for me but maybe this Injora could be a interesting project to tickle along with..

🤔

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Derka said:

Looking good, quite interesting.

I've always leaned towards a more 'scale' looking crawlers/trail trucks. 

Had various over the years, SCX10's, SCX10.2's, Elements, TRX4...

Now really thinking I'd like a dedicated crawler... Be it a Element Ecto/Gatekeeper (although very similar to my Knightrunner just different body) and giving it big wheels, wide stance. The Axial RR10 Bomber and Ryft are too expensive for me but maybe this Injora could be a interesting project to tickle along with..

🤔

Be aware i did a lot of upgrades but had a few of the parts in spares like the axles, out of the box the front stock axle is prone to breaking the cvd`s and for some reason my transmission was really noisy

6 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Be aware i did a lot of upgrades but had a few of the parts in spares like the axles, out of the box the front stock axle is prone to breaking the cvd`s and for some reason my transmission was really noisy

So it's just the metal drive axle bit inside the plastic axle housing that is weak? What replacements can you use that are stronger? 

Just trying to price up what it needs and the costs Vs Gatekeeper kit.

How much money does it need putting in to be reliable roughly?

Also, where is best to buy them? I've seen them on Amazon for £119 without wheels and a tad cheaper direct from Injora.

Edited by Derka
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Derka said:

So it's just the metal drive axle bit inside the plastic axle housing that is weak? What replacements can you use that are stronger? 

Just trying to price up what it needs and the costs Vs Gatekeeper kit.

How much money does it need putting in to be reliable roughly?

Also, where is best to buy them? I've seen them on Amazon for £119 without wheels and a tad cheaper direct from Injora.

The axle weak part is the CVD joint at steering hub, but replacement parts are cheap about £5 for a pair. You can get the body only for about £30 and then get axles and links plus gearbox and stuff, i bought my Injora direct about £90 with no wheels as i knew i would use what i had, your gonna have a hard call on getting this or getting the Gatekeeper kit, or even the Gmade R1 kit, i was lucky having some spare axles and such but i guess i have spent about £140 on mine not including the shortie lipo, i had radio and ESC so i had to get decent servo and better shocks, i also got better driveshafts from transmission and brass axle extenders

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Okay, yesterday this little budget truck blew me away with how it performed, it put a lot of very expensive rigs to shame...................but always room for improvement, seems the spur gear is not running true, so its getting an axial transmission out of the spares box and i have ordered a 45t motor that should get rid of the squeak, squeak, squeak.

The tyres i have on did okay, in fact for budget Hyrax clones they did pretty good but it will get a new set of tyres, it has proved itself worthy of better rubber, so going to look into what i feel best for it

on the rock.JPG

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

in the video you posted it did look like the rubber letting it down 

any idea what tyres youl get ?

looks like its getting 2.2`s  new wheels and rocks tyre super swampers 120mmx 50mm , i could get larger diameter but dont want to push the weight up higher, it sits right at 120mm tyre

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

looks like its getting 2.2`s  new wheels and rocks tyre super swampers 120mmx 50mm , i could get larger diameter but dont want to push the weight up higher, it sits right at 120mm tyre

I think i will forget the 2.2`s as i use brass hex extenders dont want to hand over a pile of cash and not be able to use the stuff so going with 1.9 tyres

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

I think i will forget the 2.2`s as i use brass hex extenders dont want to hand over a pile of cash and not be able to use the stuff so going with 1.9 tyres

A set of decent 1.9 120 mm tyres would do the job 👍

Know what you mean about 2.2s, i bought a set and some 140mm tyres for my buggy project only to find it did not look right and fouled everything on full lock and suspension travel

Luckily they look good and work on the mauler

• Like 2