• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Starter FPV drone

Nick

get it Nick trust me once your up in the air flying over yourself its the best feeling in the world man 👍

was looking at the iflights a while ago they look great drones great parts etc save building yourself too man that 6s version will rip some bet it hit 90-100mph hehe

yeah most of our guys are now running digital systems makes it hard for me as it swamps my analog etc but we spread out when flying anyway the more i see my mates dji fpv racer the more i want one the airbrake on them is insane like instant stop haha😂he just got the  dji motion controller too thats mad fun flying like that instead of sticks so easy to control 

22 minutes ago, Nick said:

Struggling to find good UK retailers for drones though! Everywhere seems to have no stock of things. Any recommendations?

dont really know much about fpv quad but when i typed in ' iflight titan dc5 with air unit alternative' in google, this came up:

https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/product/holybro-kopis-freestle-4-hd/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

dont really know much about fpv quad but when i typed in ' iflight titan dc5 with air unit alternative' in google, this came up:

https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/product/holybro-kopis-freestle-4-hd/

can check out that shop, hopefully they have what you need 🙂 

yeah brother noticed alot of them u need to add a rx too etc i would recommend the TBS crossfire system to nick personally its easy to set up gets updated alot too ive tried most of them spectrum frysky etc nothing gets near TBS gear they do some cool TXs too like the tango 1+2 and the mamba alot of the new gear TXs are like console joypads takes a while to get used to but so comfy to fly.Am using the frysky xlite pro atm as got it cheap off fb market but will get the tango 2 come the summer 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2022 at 20:06, turok007 said:

What did you go for in the end

Well... I was going to go with an iFlight Nazgul F5/Evoque.... however the DJI FPV keeps looking tempting which... is kind of annoying because I wanted more of a build your own hobby grade model.  With the DJI FPV, I like the idea of the proper return safety mode, hold altitude (hover), 20min fly times. It really does tick some big boxes these build your own drones can't do, or do well.

My only 2 grips with the DJI FPV is the camera, which while good, I can't upgrade or use a GoPro. and I also don't like the risk of breaking it then not being able to do the repairs myself!!!

I'm going to do some more thinking, your thoughts are welcome though, price wise they are about the same for a full setup. £1200ish.

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Well... I was going to go with an iFlight Nazgul F5/Evoque.... however the DJI FPV keeps looking tempting which... is kind of annoying because I wanted more of a build your own hobby grade model.  With the DJI FPV, I like the idea of the proper return safety mode, hold altitude (hover), 20min fly times. It really does tick some big boxes these build your own drones can't do, or do well.

My only 2 grips with the DJI FPV is the camera, which while good, I can't upgrade or use a GoPro. and I also don't like the risk of breaking it then not being able to do the repairs myself!!!

I'm going to do some more thinking, your thoughts are welcome though, price wise they are about the same for a full setup. £1200ish.

the dji mini 2 looks good  but im like you  building them adds alot to it.

On 15/02/2022 at 09:27, Nick said:

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/products/dji-fpv-drone-combo

£998 for the DJI FPV in the sale

I have a DJI Mavic Mini (Not a FPV) But the quality is amazing and the camera is excellent on it.

Return to home is worth it as if you loose signal it will come back to you after a 10 second countdown

But remember to be legal you will need to pass your drone test and pay for a drone license which is something like £10 a year 

On 15/02/2022 at 09:27, Nick said:

Collect today from Argos £999

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8839156

As a fixed wing pilot a few friends fly with the DJI air system fpv and while im first to admit its superb for clarity i put a mates goggles on for a ride along and nearly threw up, i just cant do goggles if i fly fpv i use a 5" screen on TX or tripod, though 99% of my flying is LOS

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

As a fixed wing pilot a few friends fly with the DJI air system fpv and while im first to admit its superb for clarity i put a mates goggles on for a ride along and nearly threw up, i just cant do goggles if i fly fpv i use a 5" screen on TX or tripod, though 99% of my flying is LOS

:lol: Someone else asked about if I got nausea easily, I think this is a common issue for some!

From what I've read, the DJI camera+goggles is the best HD digital system out there, what all the proper drone users have if not using analogue.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nick said:

:lol: Someone else asked about if I got nausea easily, I think this is a common issue for some!

From what I've read, the DJI camera+goggles is the best HD digital system out there, what all the proper drone users have if not using analogue.

I dont suffer nausea but just cant do with goggles.......here is a clip from my mates Air HD  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nick said:

Yea, I don't either but sticking VR goggles on made me feel dodgy. But you just need to get used to it. They recommend short sessions at a time on the VR to train your brain / senses.

Dirt Rally VR on the high speed straights is a good one to make you feel sick lol. 

Hey. Iv been flying fpv since 2014 

quadcopters.co.uk has closed down.

unmannedtech and hobbyrc are great tho stock is an issue.

if your looking to dip your toe than the tinyhawk rtf kit is a good bet and well under 250g so no it’s a “toy” 

If you want to go down the rabbit hole in a big way drop me a pm and I can help put you in touch with people who can help locally

1 hour ago, Madmini said:

if your looking to dip your toe than the tinyhawk rtf kit is a good bet and well under 250g so no it’s a “toy” 

That's what I thought about 249g drones when I got my Mavic Mini but the CAA state that if it has a camera fitted it needs registered and the toy classification has to roughly meet these standards -

Working out if your drone or model aircraft is a toy

There is no standard mark to show that a drone or model aircraft is a toy.

Your drone or model aircraft is likely to be a toy if:

• the manufacturer or store you bought it from describes it as a toy
  • you bought it from a toy department or retailer
  • it is marked as suitable for below age 14 or a younger age group
  • it was advertised or packaged to attract children

The TinyHawk rtr does look cool and probably better incase you splash out £1k on a DJI and not like it... and if you do like it sell the tinyhawk and get a dji

On the Dji fpv… the Dji fpv drone is utter garbage! Way to fragile and massively over priced! 

iv been using Dji hd system since release and have found it to be very good and I would have recommended it up until last week! 

my current recommendation is sharkbyte/hdzero

I will  be migrating to this in the near future as it plays a lot nicer with everyone else than Dji does.

I think I'll still go for the DJI HD setup, it looks best suited for me. I'm still leaning towards an iFlight as well. Going to wait until March I think as this weather has been awful recently, last 3 weeks probably couldn't even fly a drone here! So plenty of time to keep reading and watching YouTube videos.