• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

****Official**** Corally Kronos/Shogun/XTR Thread

12 hours ago, Derka said:

Scrolled through some pages back 3 years and couldn't find a dedicated Shogun thread.

Hopefully it's ok to join in here?

Just bought an original v1 Shogun off eBay.

Are Corally still offering discounted/free upgrades with the service packs? If so where do I go to get them?

Thanks for joining the thread! 

I'm trying to edit the title of this thread to Shogun,/Kronos/XTR. Not entirely sure how to do it. 

[edit - thread title now changed] 

My buying an XTR happened because I started looking at the Shogun RTR. I was looking to see if there was a kit option, because I prefer to build and can't cope with pistol radios - I break my own shins using them! 🤣

That's when I found the XTR for less than £300. For the win! 

Edited by horatio
Title of thread successfully changed
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tom1208 said:

Yeah maybe a good idea. I think you can actually do it manually with the button on switch 👍🏼

You can, but it's quite a faff. I wanted to set the voltage for the servo. It only took me a week......😜

• horatio changed the title to ****Official**** Corally Kronos/Shogun/XTR Thread
11 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

It's actually chrome not grey, I'm the worse picture taker 🤣🤣🤣

Yes correct, lower kv longer or bigger cans = more power and lower temps.

That Kuron 825 motor is a pretty wild one from what everyone tells me..!! I actually think the Corally combo is better than the Max8 that it's based on..!!

Mine only has that setup in it because that's what I had to hand at the time and I wanted to keep it lighter, rather than go full on Max6 combo which has a large can motor ( that is a great motor ) but just too heavy in my opinion..

The more the merrier that's what I say..👍🏼

It's information like this that I'll need. Down the line I was contemplating getting a bigger Motor for better torque and lower temps, but if the weight negatively affects the overall handling of the car, it's probably not going to be an upgrade. More like an expensive trial and error. 

If I did go down that route, I wasn't happy with hacking the side guards where they mount. The Basherqueen riser kit seems like a trick solution but again - it raises the CoG. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, horatio said:

Well it's been a while and II suppose everyone is catching up with mundanity after festivities. 

After all the nonsense with Omi-cold, we have changed the use of a bedroom into an office / model display area. My wife is happy with these developments, as she no longer has to endure my teams calls. 

New storage is perfect for displaying RC cars indoors - upto 1:6th scale. 

So, just need to sort out new curtains and lampshade and we're sorted. 

IMG_20220112_143340.jpg

IMG_20220112_113237.jpg

IMG_20220112_143315.jpg

Wow!  Those things are huge when you compare them to the Tamiya buggy.

Well impressed; nice work indeed.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Buggy Malone said:

Wow!  Those things are huge when you compare them to the Tamiya buggy.

Well impressed; nice work indeed.

Andrew

Thank you! 

Yes, they are quite sizeable when you compare them to Sand Scorcher! 

And there lies the problem for people wanting to display them in between blasting them around. Most shelves are waaay too small, so they end up being dumped in the shed over winter. 

It's much better having shelves for them and my missus is definitely happier with this arrangement too. There's even space for a couple more..... 😜

The shelves are Ivar shelving units from IKEA. They're available in various configurations and these were spot on for everything I currently own except for my Baja 5B SS - that has to live in the Garage. 

IMG_20200604_163048.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tug said:

Yeah, if it burns fuel, gotta be stored outside. Even with an empty tank, that's gonna smell. 

Mine doesn't, it's leccy!

I don't find my nitro machines a problem to keep indoors (bar the usual issues with the missus wanting to bin them when I'm not looking) provided they're kept clean and never left with fuel in them after using. No smell no mess. 

The Baja on the other hand - much as I love it - always smells of a 2 stroke MX bike (I use fully synthetic racing 2 stroke oil). Or a strimmer - if you want to trigger all the diehard petrol heads! 😂

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't have a good second outing with my V1 Shogun. 

Ended up losing drive to the front again (first the grub screw backed out on the front diff output) this time it was more serious. 

Completely destroyed the front centre diff output casing and jammed the spider gears as they broke the slots inside the diff housing.

I have read some "blow" the centre diff on the v1's and they have a V2 composite case but I opted for the 7075 aluminium diff case.

Fingers crossed I get more than 5 mins again!

20220130-162340.jpg

20220130-163420.jpg

20220130-164517.jpg

20220130-164725.jpg

20220130-164732.jpg

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Derka said:

Didn't have a good second outing with my V1 Shogun. 

Ended up losing drive to the front again (first the grub screw backed out on the front diff output) this time it was more serious. 

Completely destroyed the front centre diff output casing and jammed the spider gears as they broke the slots inside the diff housing.

I have read some "blow" the centre diff on the v1's and they have a V2 composite case but I opted for the 7075 aluminium diff case.

Fingers crossed I get more than 5 mins again!

20220130-162340.jpg

20220130-163420.jpg

20220130-164517.jpg

20220130-164725.jpg

20220130-164732.jpg

Yeah, I can see the problem there.... your diff gasket is broken... 😂 But seriously, the technical term for this occurrence is........FUBAR. 🤣

I hope the XTR diffs are stronger. I've yet to give mine more than 1 x 6S pack through it. Fingers crossed. 🤞

These brushless motors are putting >4hp through the drive train, so everything needs to be hardened. Composite diffs like the ones used on Nitro Truggies/Buggies simply aren't up to the job unless you are super smooth on the throttle. Which defeats the object when you buy a basher.... 

Let us know what diffs you end up with! Good luck 👍

A Wheelie bar is a good idea. It takes very little provocation for the Kronos to flip onto it's lid. 

I've just ragged mine around on 6S. It's mental. I'm running on a gravel over tarmac surface. Putting the power down sometimes equals the truck squatting down and smoke coming off the tyres. Other times, the car diffs out at the front, with one tyre ballooning. Other times, you 'feel' the cars tyres ballooning all round and the squirming with reduced tyre contact patch. 

Or diving into a corner with enough weight transfer onto the front to lift the inner rear wheel. Alternatively, diving into a corner with comedy understeer. 

You never quite know what's about to happen. It's bonkers and unpredictable. 

On 4S with tyres that aren't ballooning, I reckon the car must be fairly neutral. 

I'm just enjoying blaring it around without tipping or crashing it. My next purchase will be a small GPS unit to see how fast my near misses are! 🤣

IMG_20220210_161232.thumb.jpg.644013893fbe59d2466ecb70bac70e9f.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah mate, 6s is nuts. I haven't been able to get mine on full throttle. It either wheelies or flips. 

I got the wheelie bar to try and save the rear wing getting battered all the time.

i need to go to a big field someday and open her up. 

Great fun though, i love my xtr 👍🏼

4s i think is still fast !!  I find it easier to have fun with as your not on edge trying to keep it on the ground. 

i am 44 now and my reactions aren’t what they used to be 😂

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tom1208 said:

Yeah mate, 6s is nuts. I haven't been able to get mine on full throttle. It either wheelies or flips. 

I got the wheelie bar to try and save the rear wing getting battered all the time.

i need to go to a big field someday and open her up. 

Great fun though, i love my xtr 👍🏼

4s i think is still fast !!  I find it easier to have fun with as your not on edge trying to keep it on the ground. 

i am 44 now and my reactions aren’t what they used to be 😂

Snap! I'm a racer from yesteryear and the same sort of age as you. Roughly. I really enjoy driving this thing and trying super hard not to flip it into a million cartwheels! Doing stuff like this keeps the reflexes good, don't you worry. 👍

Scuffing the wing and body makes me wince, so I'm super careful with the amount of throttle I use. Despite this, it still wheelies and does mental stuff. I'm not sure that you're supposed to feel like a passenger when driving an RC car! 😂

The motor was more than hand hot when I finished my run, so it was quite a blast - considering it was only about 6°C outside today. Nothing broke though, despite hopping off curbs, lawns and pavements.

I noticed a couple of screws needed tightening up and threadlocking. My 6S battery needed a good balance afterwards - seems like 3 of the cells were lower voltage than the rest. 

Charging my 4500 Gens Ace takes my '100 watt' charger about 1.5hrs - it's nowhere near a 1c charge rate. I'm lucky if it gets to 2.5A during the charge, so I should probably pick up a dc charger and walloping power supply. My Q200 Sky RC charger is really only good for charging my 4S & 6S 5" drone batteries.

When the weather improves, I'll buy some more 6S packs and another 5L fuel for my XT8 and mix things up a bit. But for pure, white knuckle thrills - I agree the XTR is where it's at. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I gave the XTR a good blast around on grass today. The surface was bumpy with natural mounds. Whilst I grabbed some air, I didn't do anything extreme. 

My truck had a tendency to flip over under braking, so I had a few tumbles whilst I got to grips with the brakes on grass. 

I was very impressed with the truck's ability to carry speed through bumpy sections and how smooth and quiet it was. 

Obviously, on 6S it's bonkers, but it's amazing how this machine puts power down on grass and floats over bumps that give 1/5th scakes something to think about. It really deserves to be raced in a 6S truck class. 

My Corally motor was hot by the end of a 15 minute run, but with 22% battery left, I was impressed with how much juice was left. 

Grass clippings in the ESC are a problem. I'll have to get a over chassis protector or something. 

POS mud guards really helped protect the rear shocks. 

IMG_20220417_165121.jpg

IMG_20220417_165205.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

My son and i use net mesh (old fine fishkeeping nets)over the esc fan it really helps stop forighn bodies and debris getting into the fan 

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to do the same or similar because I'm fairly certain the ESC will fry itself otherwise! 

So - Lexan/polycarbonate cover, or Dusty Motors shroud? 😁

Anyone got any thoughts on this? 

On my nitro models, I tend not to need them. On my 1/10th buggy racing days, I used to use lexan covers on my Cat 3000 to help reduce the amount of wet clippings clogging belts. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/04/2022 at 12:02, horatio said:

So - Lexan/polycarbonate cover, or Dusty Motors shroud? 😁

Anyone got any thoughts on this? 

On my nitro models, I tend not to need them. On my 1/10th buggy racing days, I used to use lexan covers on my Cat 3000 to help reduce the amount of wet clippings clogging belts. 

I use tights that the Mrs no longer needs. It will reduce airflow and cause higher temps, but it's never caused me an issue, and certainly no failures yet. 

20220503_172310

Whatever method you choose, monitor temps for a few runs, all ESCs have built-in temperature protection, but it's worth checking temps yourself. 

• Like 1