• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

****Official**** Corally Kronos/Shogun/XTR Thread

3 hours ago, horatio said:

Thank you. 

I really like reading threads when I'm trying to find about things, especially when they're illustrated. 

It's cool to watch YouTube, but sometimes it's better to read and look at photos - at your own pace - than it is to sit through videos at someone else's. Ads and jingles and dodgy mic's etc etc. 

This is why I think forums are awesome. 

Forums are my go to too. Far better than social media which is how its going Im afraid

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Forums are my go to too. Far better than social media which is how its going Im afraid

Yeah, it's all going Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Discords and all that. I'm afraid I don't do that - not because I'm an old fart, but because it's against my personal values. 

It's the bane of many people's lives, yet they seem unable to live without it for more than 30 seconds. 

**Facepalms really hard** 🙈

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

49 minutes ago, horatio said:

Yeah, it's all going Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Discords and all that. I'm afraid I don't do that - not because I'm an old fart, but because it's against my personal values. 

It's the bane of many people's lives, yet they seem unable to live without it for more than 30 seconds. 

**Facepalms really hard** 🙈

I love forums too and for me I really don't get why Facebook is so well liked by so many specifically for hobbies like ours. 

Here's why; a forum layout is so much easier imho to find the information you need. Facebook groups are just a constant scrolling page where the same questions get asked again and again. 

Whereas on a forum you can go to specific sub sections and usually find the answer fairly quickly. Yes there are "search bars" available on Facebook but like on forums that task seems to fall below most peoples level of intelligence on how to use them as they seldom seem to be used. :lol:

Great write up @horatio and love the paint job. :good:

• Like 3

Not peeing on your parade, but how much was that combo? A Hobbywing set-up might have been cheaper and come with more programming options? I'm pointing this out as you mentioned you're usually nitro or gas, not leccy. For bashing, Hobbywing are usually the go to for price, quality and specs. 

Good write-up, good pics. Do try to vid some action if you can. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

I love forums too and for me I really don't get why Facebook is so well liked by so many specifically for hobbies like ours. 

Here's why; a forum layout is so much easier imho to find the information you need. Facebook groups are just a constant scrolling page where the same questions get asked again and again. 

Whereas on a forum you can go to specific sub sections and usually find the answer fairly quickly. Yes there are "search bars" available on Facebook but like on forums that task seems to fall below most peoples level of intelligence on how to use them as they seldom seem to be used. :lol:

Great write up @horatio and love the paint job. :good:

Thank you. I like the hot rod flames - one of the few I can get right using rattle cans.  😊

As for 'Forums vs Facebook', personally it's a no brainer. Forums win out for me every time. 

People seem ridiculously lost without Facebook. I've never understood it. Especially now that everyone knows which 3 letter agencies were behind it.

Regardless of all that, I prefer browser based, reading and researching than I do noseying and sticky-beaking on Facebook. 

• Like 1

Nice write up 👍 

As far as I know the Corally esc is a HW Max 8 in different case, well the one I had in a V1 Kronos was and the motor is on par with the 2200kv HW motor for sure 

Edited by .AJ.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tug said:

Not peeing on your parade, but how much was that combo? A Hobbywing set-up might have been cheaper and come with more programming options? I'm pointing this out as you mentioned you're usually nitro or gas, not leccy. For bashing, Hobbywing are usually the go to for price, quality and specs. 

Good write-up, good pics. Do try to vid some action if you can. 

Thanks for the heads-up. 👍 When I was thinking of getting a brushless rig, I heard people saying that Hobbywing were the way to go.  

However, I've also seen people state that for some reason, the Kuros Motor and ESC were just bonkers power-wise. 

I saw a couple of videos showing Hobbywing on 6S and the Corally stuff on 4S looking very similar. 🤔

Cost wise, I think I got the motor and ESC for about £170 including shipping and it arrived within 48 hours of placing the order. 

I can't really grumble because the XTR was on a stupidly low black Friday price as well. 

I might save the Hobbywing stuff for when I get the Basherqueen riser kit. 😂

13 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

Nice write up 👍 

As far as I know the Corally esc is a HW Max 8 in different case, well one I had in V1 Kronos was and the motor is on par with the 2200kv HW motor for sure 

I think it is from what I've gleaned, but Corally have turbo charged the firmware for use with their motor - it would seem.

Definitely greater than the sum of it's parts. No one seems to know how! 

Funilly enough, Corally used to make awesome brushed motors as well 'back in the olden days' 😂

9 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

It’s just the lower kv motor teamed with buggy ratio diffs 

Is that all it is? I know that Kraton EXB owners that have installed the Corally electronics have stated that their rigs are faster. 

Kronos gearing is 13t input 43t crown vs Kraton 10t input 43t crown. That obviously makes a significant difference to the rollout and overall ratios.  However, that would come at the expense of torque/acceleration and there's no shortage of that either? 

Go figure. 🤔

What we need to see is the TC ESC/Motor combo Dyno'd vs the other Spektrum/Hobbywing combos. 

All I know is that I've left my punch setting standard and it tries to flip just looking at the throttle. 

If I attempted to use a pistol grip radio at this point, I'd forever be breaking my own shins. 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

My son has the v1 Kronos and i the v2 and we both use the max8 programming card for them :cheers:

That's useful to know! Has to be easier than toggling through 1 to nine, remembering that 5 is a long flash... Yada Yada. 😂

50 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Yeh setting up was a breeze with the card :good:

Here's a curious thing. The ESC and Kuron 825 motor I ordered came with no manual. 

However, the Kronos XTR - which obviously isn't supplied with either of the above - came supplied with manuals for the ESC and the pistol grip radio., 🤔

2 hours ago, Tom1208 said:

Nice write up,.

Your truck looks amazing mate 👍🏼

Cheers! I'm very happy with it, considering the price/quality/performance ratio. 

I love the extra body too - great value package. And super fast as well. 

Edited by horatio
How many times can I write 'too' in a sentence....
  • Like 1

Hi Tom

Just for info, yes, it has the upgraded HD steering blocks, and a spare one in amongst the parts.

It also has the Corally tower to tower brace, 7075 Ackerman plate and stiffener, 7075 chassis stiffener and heavy duty shock pistons. Oh, and I fitted Arrma steering rod outer ends, which are tougher than the Corally ones. These needed the thread on the steering arms shortening, so I bought new ones for that, the original  ones are in the spares too, if you ever need to go back to the Corally ones.

Some of these parts are not available in UK shops yet, they had to be sourced direct from Corally. It should be as solid as any Kronos can be?

I do hope you enjoy it!

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

You went to town on it Steve !!!

Cant believe the work you put in it !!! 

It Will be solid !!!

Its great that the hd blocks are on it, that seems to be the main weakness that everyone slates them for.

Thanks for the other spares btw its very kind of you. The extra wheels are a nice bonus 👍🏼

Any luck it will arrive tomorrow but knowing my luck Wednesday when i am back to work 😂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom1208 said:

I agree mate. I am joining the kronos gang also. I just bought SWF’s one from him. Cant wait to get a wee shot.

Yeah i have seen a few bad utube vids about them. I think though they are a bit unfair.

I also seen big poppa pauls ones and he loves his. I dont plan on launching it from bmx ramps through trees like in some videos so it should be fine for me.

i think the one i bought has the hub issue resolved so should be a solid basher 👍🏼

This is great news - that rig was going at a bargain price. It's well worth keeping an eye on 2nd hand ones for the parts alone.  My gut feeling is that they'll be few and far between when people start hanging onto them. 

Mine won't be flying through trees (since when was that ever part of a design criteria - or am I just old?) and as an ex-racer, I don't drive like a **** either. 🤣

So far, my hubs are still attached. If/when they fall off, I'll be ordering the upgrades through TC - gratis. Can't get fairer than that. 

Please post your pics here! 

I'd love this to turn into the world's largest Kronos XTR thread. Solidarity everyone. As and when problems arise, we can solve them here! That's the plan. 

Edited by horatio
  • Like 1

So, anyone here fitted a 'big block' motor to their XTR yet, or used motor risers to fit one without having to file the side guards? 🤔

awesome thread 🙂

just watch your servo saver isn't to tight mine was out the box and i knackered the servo which corally replaced hassle free 🙂

yeh as mentioned by stormbringer he is my dad and we are both really impressed with the corally's 🙂

wee vid of my kronos after i broke the spoiler mount which i use to wheely on and it is only on 4s, oh it is also a v1 kronos with upgraded chassis brace so nothing like the spec of your beast lol

i recall after all that abuse all i did was lose a screw on the front body post, bent the back supspension tower which i hammered straight and reinforced, oh and the spoiler mount 😛

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 2

lol cool vid mate 👏🏻

It fair shifts on 4s !!

Wheelies with ease by the looks of it 👍🏼 

The ground looks rough your bashing on man. The Truck soaks it all up well considering. Its cool you can self right it sometimes if it ends up on its roof.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, horatio said:

This is great news - that rig was going at a bargain price. It's well worth keeping an eye on 2nd hand ones for the parts alone.  My gut feeling is that they'll be few and far between when people start hanging onto them. 

Mine won't be flying through trees (since when was that ever part of a design criteria - or am I just old?) and as an ex-racer, I don't drive like a **** either. 🤣

So far, my hubs are still attached. If/when they fall off, I'll be ordering the upgrades through TC - gratis. Can't get fairer than that. 

Please post your pics here! 

I'd love this to turn into the world's largest Kronos XTR thread. Solidarity everyone. As and when problems arise, we can solve them here! That's the plan. 

No mate your not getting old. This seems insane to me as well. How could anything stand up to some of the bad landings especially  after being launched into the stratosphere. Some people call it extreme bashing i call it abuse !!! 😂

• Like 3