• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Arrma Infraction V2 drag build

GMballistic

8 hours ago, GMballistic said:

Been a little while since I posted in this thread so thought I'd add an update. 
I have a Castle XLX2 ready for this and am waiting for a new motor to be ordered by a supplier. I am also waiting for suitable gears as my speed running gears are too tall for my drag build. 

I've done some mods in preparation for the new ESC/motor combo ~ I'll be flipping the mount around so one of the battery trays has been removed although to keep my Scorched Parts carbon fibre side plates I have cut the  removed battery tray in half to retain the mounting points. 

I have also cut the original ESC/RX mount in half so that it doesn't get in the way when the motor mount is flipped. 

53.thumb.jpg.840c0448185675f1d563c530ef70b75c.jpg

These mods also have a secondary benefit as in drag racing saving weight is quite critical (or so I've read) and removing these parts including the screws has saved me 91.98g. The total weight loss I have achieved so far with parts removed is 224.6g but then I have also added weight with my Scorched Parts side pieces, home made wing and wheelie bar (albeit all are easily removable). :good:

Nice one! Looks very smart, I’m impressed with all the mods. Making  me want to tinker with mine more!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, GMballistic said:

Been a little while since I posted in this thread so thought I'd add an update. 
I have a Castle XLX2 ready for this and am waiting for a new motor to be ordered by a supplier. I am also waiting for suitable gears as my speed running gears are too tall for my drag build. 

I've done some mods in preparation for the new ESC/motor combo ~ I'll be flipping the mount around so one of the battery trays has been removed although to keep my Scorched Parts carbon fibre side plates I have cut the  removed battery tray in half to retain the mounting points. 

I have also cut the original ESC/RX mount in half so that it doesn't get in the way when the motor mount is flipped. 

53.thumb.jpg.840c0448185675f1d563c530ef70b75c.jpg

These mods also have a secondary benefit as in drag racing saving weight is quite critical (or so I've read) and removing these parts including the screws has saved me 91.98g. The total weight loss I have achieved so far with parts removed is 224.6g but then I have also added weight with my Scorched Parts side pieces, home made wing and wheelie bar (albeit all are easily removable). :good:

Nice - I have been following with Interest since the first post as I also have an infraction and added a sky RC gnss at Christmas so I have been checking my own drag performance..... It seems to be easier on tyres than going sideways at 60mph!

Are you going 8s with a castle motor? 15 or 17 series?  Or are you waiting for an Italian job?

My Firma ESC caught fire last week so I am thinking of a motor/esc upgrade too - 6s with an occasional 8s speedrun with supporting mods.

I admire how clean you are keeping it, mine has never gotten damp and I still had rusty screws after 6 months!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, racing shed said:

Nice - I have been following with Interest since the first post as I also have an infraction and added a sky RC gnss at Christmas so I have been checking my own drag performance..... It seems to be easier on tyres than going sideways at 60mph!

Are you going 8s with a castle motor? 15 or 17 series?  Or are you waiting for an Italian job?

My Firma ESC caught fire last week so I am thinking of a motor/esc upgrade too - 6s with an occasional 8s speedrun with supporting mods.

I admire how clean you are keeping it, mine has never gotten damp and I still had rusty screws after 6 months!

I bought my Infraction used and almost every single screw was rusted. 😢
It's been stripped down to bare bones and rebuilt from the ground up. I replaced every single rusted screw that I could as well as all the bearings and even the servo saver spring which was heavily corroded. 

I'm keeping the Infraction 6S as I already have a Limitless that is 8S and think that for drag runs the 6S will be more than good enough. Motor will be a TP motor. 
Have a look at Onyx RC Power if you fancy a new motor to see what he can do for you: https://www.facebook.com/MikeTpmotors

Just waiting for parts so not a lot I can do on it at the mo. Even if it was running the British weather wouldn't let me out with it so maybe a good thing it's not finished. :lol:

Mine was new last April - never been wet or kept anywhere damp and all my screws and shafts have corrosion.

I have two of the 3s as bashers and they've been abused in all conditions and the screws are still pretty good.....

If you are flipping the mount does that mean it's going to be a 4060? or bigger? - before my stock ESC blew up I was considering a 4050 as I would like to retain the twin battery trays.

Now that I may need a new esc

I might go bigger but I can't find much information on wether a 4060 will fit in the stock location  or not.

I plan on using Onyx but I haven't contacted him yet as I am waiting to hear from logic on my warranty return on the ESC.

On 07/02/2022 at 07:34, racing shed said:

Mine was new last April - never been wet or kept anywhere damp and all my screws and shafts have corrosion.

I have two of the 3s as bashers and they've been abused in all conditions and the screws are still pretty good.....

If you are flipping the mount does that mean it's going to be a 4060? or bigger? - before my stock ESC blew up I was considering a 4050 as I would like to retain the twin battery trays.

Now that I may need a new esc

I might go bigger but I can't find much information on wether a 4060 will fit in the stock location  or not.

I plan on using Onyx but I haven't contacted him yet as I am waiting to hear from logic on my warranty return on the ESC.

I'll leave the motor as a surprise for the thread but yes it's a bigger motor than can fit in the standard location. 😉  

FYI in case this helps you @racing shed I've got a TP4060CM in my Arrma Typhon speed runner and it measures 92mm from the mount to the end of the can ~ it measures 110mm total length including the wires which tbh aren't very flexible at the base of the can so should be included in the length. 

I did hear before that something you could do is buy a "sensored" motor as the wires on those come out the top instead of the back of the can. You don't run the sensor then but I've never tried that though and tbh would rather just get a motor that fits where I want it to. 

Edited by GMballistic

• 2 months later...

That motor 😳🤯😎

doesn’t look like it’s gonna be short of power. Very nice 👍🏻 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ant.p said:

That motor 😳🤯😎

doesn’t look like it’s gonna be short of power. Very nice 👍🏻 

I hope not.
Most expensive RC motor I've ever bought and only did it in a moment of madness (at least that's the story if my Mrs ever finds out & asks). :lol: 

2 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

OMG !!! That's a really long one 😉

Definitely got some length to it that's for sure, ...just glad there is plenty of space in the Infraction chassis for such motors. 

Hopefully going to be fun running it.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Redback said:

Blimey not messing about there... Going to also run this at rossa yeah?

I might bring it up if I still have space in the car.
I've bought my own gazebo this year and it's massive so going to take up a fair bit of the room I have in the boot, even in an estate.

5 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

@GMballistic.. Have you shown the guy's over on the ArrmaForum this motor yet..!!! I bet @Liberty etc would love to see this thing 👍🏼

No I haven't.  
Prefer putting my time into the UK thread I started but could always show a few pictures on there of course. 😉

Did some more work on the Infraction this afternoon (well yesterday now as I post this).

Decided to remove the Scorched carbon fibre side plates as just not needed on the build so in order of weight saving I thought it was worthwhile removing them. Plus I'll sell them on for some cash back towards what I've spent so far. 
Weight of the Scorched Parts carbon side parts, plus some plastic pieces and all the screws (x17 M3 in total) to hold it all together added up to 145.36g so that brings the total weight loss I have achieved so far with parts removed to 377.71g.

Motors all wired up now and fitted my XLX2 although I've still some tidying up before I can turn it on. Progress made though. 

1658678412_63Wiringinprogress.thumb.jpg.f114e3c5a2abb880c0bd50235c434d6f.jpg

64.thumb.jpg.eb95ca0837973fd9bf183da2a76ccbd7.jpg

1382843190_65XLX2fitted.thumb.jpg.bcf69a43d29d27436872cd297eff5589.jpg

Oh and I forgot to mention that I de-anodized my motor mount & chassis brace bar ~ surprised nobody asked about that. :lol::good:

Edited by GMballistic
Weight saving adjustment
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Never noticed lol :rofl:

Mind you taking shape now tho  :good:

Thank you.

If the weather is okay I'm hoping to take it for a run next weekend.  Fingers crossed. 

Got it all set up and running. 
66.thumb.jpg.7aa414717e2ed45a0a413c32b829dfc9.jpg

First thing is; this is definitely going to be harder than I thought. :lol:
Saturday runs.
Initially I set up the XLX2 "Start Power" at low with "Punch Control" set at 0% (so disabled) but this turned out to be a mistake. Trying to control the power/wheelspin off the line was seriously hard even with the power turned down on my Spektrum remote. 

This resulted in a lot of side ways action and some very scrubbed tyre walls ~ best time for the 132ft that day was 2.95secs@48mph.
1490733812_68Tyredamage.thumb.jpg.ebf12a30451248b5be5985e6823f9db6.jpg

Came home a little deflated so did some adjustments to the XLX2.
This time I changed the "Start Power" to Medium (as I am using good batteries) but altered the "Punch Control" to 70%. 

Sunday runs
Even like that the power this motor can give combined with the XLX2 is insane but I was definitely starting to get somewhere as made some straight passes. I beat my PB which was good but then play ended after one of the wheels came off. 

776093716_67Besttestrunresult.thumb.jpg.39d9e80dcd73e21d8e3342b329a62aeb.jpg

I actually managed to find the wheel and nut but typically I didn't have my wheel wrench so used my Swiss Army Knife to fix it back on. Ran again but the wheel came off and then I noticed the wheel had rounded the hex ~ not sure if that happened the first time or second but it was game over for today. 
1160475941_69Hexroundedoffintyre.thumb.jpg.28d833bf9ce7ae5ea4d12d1d3996da2c.jpg

Full set of GRP S1's (softest compound) on order to try next and putting the XLX2 on maximum "Punch Control" to see if that helps me leave the line cleanly.  :good:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BashingBrian said:

R1's are the softest not S1's 😉 GRP have changed all their tyres now all new wheels and tyre compounds...!!

R1 are "Rain tyres" but not sure how the compound compares to "S1" which GRP list as "XXSoft" (their softest non-rain tyre). 

GRP have changed their tyres now you're right but plenty of old stock still floating around to get through before all the new tyres are available everywhere instead. The tyres I've bought AFAIK are the older items still.  Hopefully they'll hook up better than the Hoons I've been using. 😏

I used the R1's on my drag car, they are mega sticky when warm.. so sticky in fact that on a warm day I left the car on the tarmac for 10 minutes or so and the car was stuck to the ground..!!!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

I used the R1's on my drag car, they are mega sticky when warm.. so sticky in fact that on a warm day I left the car on the tarmac for 10 minutes or so and the car was stuck to the ground..!!!

Brilliant. 

I'll see how I get on with the ones I've ordered now but those R1 tyres sound great.  😉

Cool build man, I enjoyed reading along and getting up to date.

I never considered that there might be a drag scene.

On another note, I'm from Bridgend, don't live there anymore, moved away in 2006 when I was 22.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Suits said:

Cool build man, I enjoyed reading along and getting up to date.

I never considered that there might be a drag scene.

On another note, I'm from Bridgend, don't live there anymore, moved away in 2006 when I was 22.

Thanks and glad you enjoyed reading it. 

RC drag racing is so small here in the UK. Seems more like small groups doing it together or like me on your own and sharing/comparing results via social media & FB groups. 

I enjoy speed related stuff so wanted to try my hand at this. Easy to find spots to do it too as you only need around 50 metres of clear tarmac. 😉