• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Arrma Infraction V2 drag build

GMballistic

22 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Will you be keeping it 4wd ?

Most definitely. 😎
Already got a lot of plans and have been researching this as it's all new to me but I won't know if any of the ideas I have are good until I get out to start testing. 

First thing I want to do is a baseline test with the Infraction to see firstly if it even pulls straight off the line and if so what time do I get over 132ft which is what we're racing over in the league. 

Then I'll start making some changes to the suspension, geometry, diff fluids etc etc and run it again after each change. Basically I'm only going to do one thing at a time so I can see how that effects things as  that will make it easier to back track then if it's a change for the worse. 

Hopefully will have a new Sky RC GPS meter turning up next week so I can try it out. :good:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Redback said:

This is going to be rapid, good to see you joining the drag race line, going to run it stock and then put in a massive TP motor? 😄 watching with anticipation!

That is definitely a possibility. :lol: 

@GMballistic.. you must have seen the drag time section on the Arrmaforum ?? 

Here's my drag build, 4s swb as I'm a sucker for doing it the hard way 🤣🤣🤣

It's more addictive than speed running believe me, and best of all you need a much shorter road..!! (something we do have in the UK 😉)

I've all but given up with attempting speed running as finding a suitable road is just too difficult where I'm based.

So my TpPower Infraction just sits on a shelf atm 😩

My drag build you see here is currently 4s powered with a stock BLX system including my secret spec homemade cap pack and spool 😉 it took me weeks to get the suspension dialed in and I've been running a mix of GRP R1's and GRP S1's ...... 

I look forward to seeing what you make out of that Infraction..!!

IMG_0559.thumb.jpeg.024920c5d594a9ca41b6d65f1c7c705a.jpeg

• Like 2

Couldn't get a dry day so thought stuff it and went out in the wet. :lol:

At least I have a baseline number to start from and hopefully improve from so I can start making changes now. 
1188613405_11Firstdragrunwetconditions..thumb.jpg.f5ca1588600304e815ee352c73225ae7.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BashingBrian said:

You know that the 132ft is for 1/10 scale ??

If I remember correctly you should be aiming for 188ft 👍🏼

Yep I know that thanks.
I'm not following American guide lines, ....this is the distance we are all doing in the UK league FB group.  :good:

It's better suited for making it easier for people to find spots to run as well as if they want can compare it to what the 1/10th scale are running. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Good luck with this project, your doing the build right

Thanks. :cheers:

Just waiting on a few little bits from Modelsport now so I can finish putting it back together.

Edited by GMballistic
  • Like 1

Front end finished and looking pretty good ~ like new now tbh so very pleased with it. 
594331365_30Frontendrebuilt.thumb.jpg.90197d6268df7f2a72e58b8a9a2452d7.jpg

For the drivetrain I bought a Scorched Parts Pinocchio spool set up which comes with titanium driveshafts so more than enough to handle hard drivetrain loads. I also replaced the centre Arrma plastic mount with an RW Racing made aluminium replacement. 
662009194_26ScorchedPartsPinocchiospool.thumb.jpg.0a41d7249b030bb9de05d4ce81919474.jpg

550700194_28Pinocchiospoolwith39Tspurgear.thumb.jpg.50c849a8cce2e73fa0588ce1a7ac1424.jpg

With that all in place I rebuilt the rest of the car and added some Scorched Parts carbon fibre side skirts that I bought for future proofing ~ gives me more room for a larger ESC in the future.

Worth noting I also left on any unnecessary parts to try to save weight where possible so the handbrake module has been removed as well as a few plastic parts (centre shaft support & drive cup cover. This saved 132grams odd. 
408219335_32FullyrebuiltwithaddedScorchedParts.thumb.jpg.12dfeef88aeedcc7f2e64da6a448965d.jpg

With all that done I started trying to get the suspension, wheels and steering set up. 
I've tightened down the rear shock springs whilst the front springs have been loosened off considerably in an effort to make the front softer. As I mentioned before it has a rake angle added to the car so the front is lower than the rear, ...with the added shock limiters the rear can now never go lower than the front even under acceleration. 

All the tyres have been set up with zero degrees camber to try to get maximum contact to the tarmac.
Before.
833144375_33Settingcamber.thumb.jpg.143db5698b0a377912cda31268ee5300.jpg

After.
1845784245_34Zerodegreescamber.thumb.jpg.13b59c0e797a4db420bf4699199a7ff1.jpg

For the toe I could not adjust the rear which has some toe in already set. Tbh for now I think I will try it like that anyway although my first thought was to eliminate all toe in on the rear.
The front I have set up with the slightest of toe in which on launch will go to zero toe in I'm sure.  

I'm new to this drag racing so just learning, researching and trying things I think might work as I go.  :lol:

I needed a good safe place to mount my GNSS GPS module so using some spare parts and carbon fibre I made my own holder which I decided to mount at the front ~ trying to keep as much weight towards the front as possible.
36.thumb.jpg.fff597c08c88ef29c26ee0ed5d842f93.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stormbringer said:

Your really going for this aint ya so good luck on the trials mate :good:

I had a lot of fun running the car on my own trying to get quicker and interested to see what the changes will yield now. 

It should be quicker and hopefully still run straight. :lol:

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

With no toe in/out wont it be very twitchy if you use any steering trying to keep it straight ?

It has toe in on the rear as it cannot be adjusted on the rear without purchasing an adjustable hinge pin set. This is how the rear toe in comes from the factory...
122306-2f676dcc904bb183fd38a1d071fb43b7.jpg.7cba54e3552333847d2b1024d87b7e15.jpg

The front as I mentioned I have adjusted most of the toe out of it but left just a little toe in. The idea being on launch the front wheels will go to toe out just a bit but essentially will be at zero toe in/out and hopefully run straight. 

I'm not planning to touch the steering much on a drag hit and will also turn my dual rate down so that if I do have to correct the response will be slower so less twitchy. 
I'm no expert though so it could all go "Pete Tong" and end in pieces. 😢 :lol:

Anyway something else to show, ...just spent a good 2 hours making some carbon fibre winglets for my spoiler design/idea. I ran out of 3mm carbon fibre so couldn't complete the wing but had just enough to do the winglets.
1641872522_39Carbonfibrewingletsforspoiler.thumb.jpg.3b1d326bda4b0ce7463f1acbbe06e3e8.jpg

739912658_40Finishedwinglets.thumb.jpg.5c83d67954ceeeaa8efe3a1701381996.jpg

Thanks for commenting/reading @Stormbringer makes me feel like I am at least not just doing this for myself and someone else is at least taking a bit of interest too (lol).
I can tell you my Mrs is not in the slightest bit interested in any of my RC's or what I do with them.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GMballistic said:

I can tell you my Mrs is not in the slightest bit interested in any of my RC's or what I do with them.  

That makes two of us.. 🤣🤣🤣

Looks good so far, I had issues with my infraction in that once I'd got rid of all the slop, adjusted all the toe and camber the car then ran like crap 😩 my mates car is box stock when it comes to adjustments and it runs straight and true..!! go figure 🤔

• Like 1

Think it makes all of us @BashingBrian! The girls don’t know what they’re missing.

I’ve been quietly watching this thread. I am definitely interested! Don’t have anything to offer in the way of advice, but I do have a lot to learn so keen to see what you get up to.

will you be running stock wheels/tyres?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

Think it makes all of us @BashingBrian! The girls don’t know what they’re missing.

I’ve been quietly watching this thread. I am definitely interested! Don’t have anything to offer in the way of advice, but I do have a lot to learn so keen to see what you get up to.

will you be running stock wheels/tyres?

I thought about selling them and putting on a set of the softest compound GRP tyres I could get (S1's) but decided in the end just to run it with the stock tyres for now. 

I read a lot from the guys who know what they're doing with their drag cars about running foam tyres (BSR foams mainly) so that maybe the way I go eventually depending on what happens.
I ran foam tyres (SP Racing 50 shore) before though on my Limitless and it ended badly. :lol: Basically a big crash at ROSSA so I switched back to GRP tyres as I've never had any issues running those.

Downside to running stock Hoons is that if I do like them and get it set up nicely on them they're expensive to replace but it may end up being that I only need a set per year or something so not too bad (only an extra £20-£30 over doing the same every year with GRP's). :good:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

I thought about selling them and putting on a set of the softest compound GRP tyres I could get (S1's) but decided in the end just to run it with the stock tyres for now. 

I read a lot from the guys who know what they're doing with their drag cars about running foam tyres (BSR foams mainly) so that maybe the way I go eventually depending on what happens.
I ran foam tyres (SP Racing 50 shore) before though on my Limitless and it ended badly. :lol: Basically a big crash at ROSSA so I switched back to GRP tyres as I've never had any issues running those.

Downside to running stock Hoons is that if I do like them and get it set up nicely on them they're expensive to replace but it may end up being that I only need a set per year or something so not too bad (only an extra £20-£30 over doing the same every year with GRP's). :good:

I haven’t touched foam for similar reasons. Mainly that I haven’t a surface good enough, but also that they’re so delicate by comparison to GRP’s. Is there an advantage to the stock tyres over GRP’s or is that just your preference?

Edited by Ant.p

4 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

I haven’t touched foam for similar reasonably. Mainly that I haven’t a surface good enough, but also that they’re so delicate by comparison to GRP’s. Is there an advantage to the stock tyres over GRP’s or is that just your preference?

No real advantage at all no imho.
Hoon tyres are 100mm compared to the GRP tyres of 98mm so some would take that as a slight advantage but it's negligible being only 2mm over the rolling radius. 

GRP tyres with their various compounds (softest/S1-hardest/S7) available are more advantageous overall as Hoons only have 3 different shore hardness's at the moment I believe so you have more choice of shore hardness with the GRP's.
GRP tyres are also proven better at higher speeds so far but then this isn't a speed run RC so it's not as critically important.  

This isn't performance based at all but I do think the Hoon 5 spoke rim design with it's dish does look so much better than the GRP tyres rim. Pity GRP doesn't make a nicer rim design. 

I've left the Hoons on for now as that is what the Infraction came with and it was a brand new set too so thought I'd give them a go. :good:

• Like 1