• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Shock oil weight for on road?

martin34

There really isn't one answer for this. Suspension tuning is somewhat of a black art.

Assuming the surface is smooth and grippy and you have tyres that grip well. Then a stiffer lower riding setup may well work well. But too low and you'll ground out and too stiff and it'll bounce about.

But suspension is more than just oil. The shock valving also plays a part, i.e. you could have a heavy oil with open valving or light oil and narrow valving and achieve similar results. But there can be differences in how quickly the shock will react and how it response on rebound may also vary. Tuning the jounce rate can make a big difference. Springs will also play a part in this.

And lastly body roll can be controlled by other means such as anti roll bars, roll centre and ride height. Before you even get to touching the shock oil or springs.

Personally I'd try and identify the traits you are not liking or one that you feel need improving and look at what options you can take to address them.

For instance shocks more laydown will generally offer less resistance than more up right. If you can change the shock position on the A-arms of shock towers, you may want to play about with this and see what impact it has on the vehicle. Likewise with shock oil, the only way you will really know is by trying it out.

• Like 1

Great advice thankyou👍. To be honest it's not like the kids and I race but it would be nice to get the best performance out of the car as possible, and any excuse to get the tools out and tinker around......👍🤪happy days!

• Like 1