• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Modelsport website feedback

Nick

Hey guys,

For those who don't know I developed the latest Modelsport.co.uk website earlier this year and would love your feedback on how it can be improved further. This can be suggestions on features you like on other websites or just bits you don't get on with too well that you feel could be done better.

My main focus from the previous website was to allow for better filtering with the checkbox filters and a much more mobile friendly interface.

I'm really happy with the website but that doesn't mean I'm right! :lol: I look forward to your feedback to help me in future updates/fixes.

www.modelsport.co.uk 😛

• Like 2

• This is probably more of a data issue rather than web design but the bodyshop and wheels/tyres sections could have even better filtering. I'd say its currently the best or one of the best but could be better.  On a similar note the filters: Rock crawler, truck, truggy and stadium aren't the most helpful but I can sympathise it isn't easy. I haven't got a better suggestion haha.
  • You could add voltage filtering for servos.
  • You could add an information section with shock oil and diff oil weight conversions, how to identify common plug types etc.
  • This might require a re-jig of your stock system but adding a filter that includes items that you expect to restock or can get from a supplier would be useful, usually I just want to exclude things that you'll never get in stock again but still have listed on the website.
  • For the preowned models you should put a sticker/logo in the photos of the actual model, so its clear which ones are the generic item pictures.

I feel like I've been very critical but its my favourite model shop website to use.

Edited by lorrylemming
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lorrylemming said:
  • This is probably more of a data issue rather than web design but the bodyshop and wheels/tyres sections could have even better filtering. I'd its currently the best or one of the best but could be better.  On a similar note the filters: Rock crawler, truck, truggy and stadium aren't the most helpful but I can sympathise it isn't easy. I haven't got a better suggestion haha.
  • You could add voltage filtering for servos.
  • You could add an information section with shock oil and diff oil weight convertions, how to identify common plug types etc.
  • This might require a re-jig of your stock system but adding a filter that includes items that you expect to restock or can get from a supplier would be useful, usually I just want to exclude things that you'll never get in stock again but still have listed on the website.
  • For the preowned models you should put a sticker/logo in the photos of the actual model, so its clear which ones are the generic item pictures.

I feel like I've been very critical but its my favourite model shop website to use.

These are all great suggestions! Thank you! The filters do create a lot of debate in the office with what is what. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Alex97 said:

Maybe a compare function for models and electronics?

It's a good idea and one we've had before, but with the vast range of products, the similarities are far between. I will have a think, as it might be easy enough to implement anyway.

Looking at "Pinion" gears on the site before @Nick there are over 400 odd which can make it very time consuming to find the size you need ~ you can filter the search by "Brand" and "Price" but that's it as far as I can see.

Something like that needs to be filtered really by "pitch/Mod" and then "bore size".
If it could then be ordered into "number of teeth/low to high" for example if possible that would make it even easier to find what you're after.

Over all I love the site though. ❤️ :good: 

• Like 2

Think I would echo on filters being a bit absent.  I was looking for some shock oil the other day and was surprised there wasn't a filter for say 100-400CST.  I know there are 2 units of measurement for oil but some kind of filtering would be good.

EDIT: - Can see the filters there now?  Swear they weren't there the other day 🤣

Edited by MrCake
Eh?

It's alot better with the filters but I'm not a frequent customer or when I do I know the part number I want. Is there an option to only see only what is in stock?  I dont want to sift through out of stock and back order items. When buying lipos the dimensions are usually a significant parameter and cant see an option to choose length/height/width.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, locky said:

It's alot better with the filters but I'm not a frequent customer or when I do I know the part number I want. Is there an option to only see only what is in stock?  I dont want to sift through out of stock and back order items. When buying lipos the dimensions are usually a significant parameter and cant see an option to choose length/height/width.

Good shout on the lipo size, @BigGingerecently enlightened me with the one on HobbyKing and that is a really nice feature.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GMballistic said:

Looking at "Pinion" gears on the site before @Nick there are over 400 odd which can make it very time consuming to find the size you need ~ you can filter the search by "Brand" and "Price" but that's it as far as I can see.

Something like that needs to be filtered really by "pitch/Mod" and then "bore size".
If it could then be ordered into "number of teeth/low to high" for example if possible that would make it even easier to find what you're after.

These filters are there for pitch and bore. 😄 

14 hours ago, MrCake said:

Think I would echo on filters being a bit absent.  I was looking for some shock oil the other day and was surprised there wasn't a filter for say 100-400CST.  I know there are 2 units of measurement for oil but some kind of filtering would be good.

EDIT: - Can see the filters there now?  Swear they weren't there the other day 🤣

😉

13 hours ago, locky said:

That's a good idea, I'll add it to the list! Probably when the madness of Christmas is over... 🙂

6 hours ago, Nick said:

These filters are there for pitch and bore. 😄 

Not that I can see they're not. 

Checked on my laptop and via my mobile phone.  Screen shot below from my mobile and the only filters I get is a choice of; "Categories", "Brand" OR "Price". 

Screenshot_20211201-184554_Chrome.thumb.jpg.64dd0dcecdb7e369b809194c7f3cf340.jpg

Sorry if it is there @Nick and I am just being thick missing it somehow but I don't see the option. 

I've spent a few hours trawling the MS site this week and one thing that I've noticed is that all the model types are captured under one section.

Example:  If you go to 'models-electric' or the 'off road' sections then everything is included, i.e. from tanks to snow drift machines to JCBs and 1:24th Mini models to the whole variety of RC cars.

It would be nice to umbrella the non-car stuff or the tiny stuff under a different section as it's unlikely that a guy wanting a Traxxas X-Maxx will also be looking for a snow plow or a race trike.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the site.

Andrew

Edited by Buggy Malone

14 hours ago, GMballistic said:

Checked on my laptop and via my mobile phone.  Screen shot below from my mobile and the only filters I get is a choice of; "Categories", "Brand" OR "Price". 

Screenshot_20211201-184554_Chrome.thumb.jpg.64dd0dcecdb7e369b809194c7f3cf340.jpg

Sorry if it is there @Nick and I am just being thick missing it somehow but I don't see the option. 

Ahh, I think because you search "pinion" it only shows categories as filters. If you go to the pinion section (Electric > Pinion Gears) they are all there:
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/electric/pinion-gears

14 hours ago, lorrylemming said:

Had another thought, you could recommend some electronics for race kits like you do for tamiya kits. Eg hobbywing quicrun and speed passion as a budget option and then the full fat HW combo as a premium option. 

We try to add these as much as we can. 🙂 There are a lot of models!

14 hours ago, Buggy Malone said:

I've spent a few hours trawling the MS site this week and one thing that I've noticed is that all the model types are captured under one section.

Example:  If you go to 'models-electric' or the 'off road' sections then everything is included, i.e. from tanks to snow drift machines to JCBs and 1:24th Mini models to the whole variety of RC cars.

It would be nice to umbrella the non-car stuff or the tiny stuff under a different section as it's unlikely that a guy wanting a Traxxas X-Maxx will also be looking for a snow plow or a race trike.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the site.

Andrew

Are you on desktop or mobile? This can all be filtered down using the filters. 🙂

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, GMballistic said:

It's there if you look at Electric Power, then select Pinion Gears.

From there you can filter by Pitch, teeth and bore

Hope this helps

pinions.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 30/11/2021 at 21:32, GMballistic said:

Just control + F or Apple + F

I've just placed my first order today with MS and I've got to admit that it's the easiest and most efficient site that I've ever dealt with.

I particularly  like the bit where MS automatically creates an account for you after buying your goods.

Nice work indeed :good:

Edited by Buggy Malone

On 05/12/2021 at 15:25, froggy8 said:

@Nick any chance you could filter in 250g quadcopter as that would help people who doesnt want to pay the registration fee.

The law has changed. Quads under 250g still need registration if they have a camera. For example, the Mavic Mini requires registration, despite being designed to defeat the regulation. 

https://dronesitesurveys.co.uk/drone-laws-for-drones-under-250g/

You will need an Operator ID if your drone is not considered a “toy”, even if it is under 250g. The Mavic Mini, for example, requires you to register for a Flyer ID.

On 10/12/2021 at 01:46, m4inbrain said:

The law has changed. Quads under 250g still need registration if they have a camera. For example, the Mavic Mini requires registration, despite being designed to defeat the regulation. 

https://dronesitesurveys.co.uk/drone-laws-for-drones-under-250g/

sorry for late reply mate

so you saying if i take the camera off then il be fine? only problem with my quad is i need the camera on to do the follow me mode but other than that i can still use all the other functions. i dont mind just sacrificing the follow me mode.

1 hour ago, froggy8 said:

so you saying if i take the camera off then il be fine? only problem with my quad is i need the camera on to do the follow me mode but other than that i can still use all the other functions. i dont mind just sacrificing the follow me mode.

Dont know mate

Its meant to have a camera and if you take it off it may still be thought of as having 1

Best bet is check the rules on modifying etc 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, froggy8 said:

I couldn't tell ya bud, you'd need to clarify that with the CAA or someone who knows what they're talking about. I can only recite the rules, sorry.

The problem here, as stormbringer says, could be that they say "the drone is supposed to have a camera though" - it's a bit like putting neon lights under your car. You could argue that you're only turning them on at meets etc, but chances are high that you get fined either way. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, froggy8 said:

Just do the registration, Its 9 quid and a very simple multiple choice test. Then your covered no matter what you fly 

• Like 2