• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lipo puffed - advising caution to others

UKRobster

Thanks for this post mate. I store my lipos in the garage as well and last time I brought one in to charge I only let it warm up in the house for about 20 mins.

Luckily I didn't get the same reaction as what's happened to yours though, but I will definitely leave it a couple of hours next time  👍

19 minutes ago, Darren Frosty said:

are we saying if I charge batteries in the garage in the winter they're going to die then? I didn't know that

Not sure about that I'm afraid.

Just wanted to bring this to folks attention based on my experience as the winter months are closing in fast (apart from that it chokes me to have to bin a 3 month old £45 lipo).
Test for yourself and go with what works. It could be model & even individual battery specific.

Just keep an eye on them if you do charge in the garage. Definitely not set and forget!!

when a lipo is cold the voltage drops  so what might of happened is as it was charging it got warmer and something went wrong..  I use to fly Rc planes a lot  and  when in the air lipos act different because of the cold. 

you can do a simple test.  check voltage while it is out in the cold  then bring it in for a while then check it again  voltage should of jumped. 

you can put more V into a cold pack  but when it warms up it will go over V

• Like 1

Rapid changes in temperatures are definitely bad for lipo, but storing in cold prolong lifespan of lipo🤔

My guess would be that bringing from cold to warm lead to condensation of moisture inside hardcase. I would try to store them in vacuum bag ( no air means no condensation)

• Like 1

I run lipos underwater condensation is not the issue nore is water, the cold however reduces runtime by a huge amount, unsure why i was told charging lipos that are warm store more mha, the lads at ROSSA were charging their 8000mha 4s battries ontop of their 1.1 cars in the summer, it was over 30c air temp would have been 45c ontop of a black car, i didnt think heat was good for them but i know cold isnt.
I found some info here too.
https://www.gensace.de/blog/temperature-affect-lipo-battery-performance/

Edit: OP what amps were you charging at and what charger please?

Edited by Redback

44 minutes ago, Redback said:

I run lipos underwater condensation is not the issue nore is water, the cold however reduces runtime by a huge amount, unsure why i was told charging lipos that are warm store more mha, the lads at ROSSA were charging their 8000mha 4s battries ontop of their 1.1 cars in the summer, it was over 30c air temp would have been 45c ontop of a black car, i didnt think heat was good for them but i know cold isnt.

Interesting info there regarding temperature cause & effect.
Seems that storing them in a cold garage is OK, but they do need to be brought up to temperature before charging.  Maybe as mine is a hard case LIPO this would also affect the time to come up to room temp, needing longer.

I use this charger https://www.skyrc.com/Charger/e680 & charged at 6.2A (1C) from a storage charge state.

1 hour ago, Redback said:

Nothing wrong with storing lipos in cold quite opposite battery losing charge at slower rate

( I got 3s I use once a year and it's stored in cold I lose no charge in a year) they do discharge way faster in low temperature tho.

Running in water and condensation would be different I think ( when it's raining and I'm in cold house I'm dry, as soon I start heat up inside there will be condensation on windows in no time.

Heat it's definitely deteriorating battery lifespan.

2 hours ago, Redback said:

What they are doing at ROSSA is not a average day for most people.  As speed runners want packs to be warm/hot  as they are pushing  lipos vary hard right away  so they want full power from the go  also very short run times.  Also might be getting new lipos every few runs  as they want the best results

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/11/2021 at 10:08, UKRobster said:

Had a Lipo puff up last night, just wanted to remind others of the potential volatility of these batteries.

Store them in the garage and obviously its started dropping in temps now were in the middle of November. Although living in the South West it's not too cold yet!

Forecast for today is dry so, hoping to get out for a quick bash at lunch time.
Fetched the lipo's out of the garage yesterday evening and let them sit in the house for about 45 mins to an hour before plugging the first one in.  The first one has puffed after a 40 min charge, then plugged the 2nd in straight after and that one is fine. So I reckon they needed to be in the house for a good couple of hours before charging.
That's the only difference between the 2 batteries. Both were storage charged about 3 weeks ago and been in garage since then. Have had the same amount of charges and they're only 3 months old. Absima 3S 6200 mAh 60C. Will be dumping into a bucket of salt (sea) water later.
For anyone else that stores them in the garage just be warned to do the same thing! Let them come up to room temperature for at least a couple of hours.

I also had this happen.

But....

Nothing to do with the cold. It was ran too hard on the previous use.

Yes they do say that cold is not good for them but mainly if temps are in the minus figures.

I wouldn't store them outside in winter myself. Mine are lipo bagged inside buscuit tins in a cupboard.

• Like 1

These Lipos seem like mini bombs to me if not treated correctly.  I've just bought myself a small ammo box from the army stores so I'm happy (for the first time since Lipo purchase) to keep them in the house.

Edited by Buggy Malone

You'll need to discharge first using a bulb or brushed motor first as iirc if you put them in salt water before discharging  it dissolves the battery tabs but doesn't actually discharge it. 

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

Remeber to remove the rubber seal on the ammo box tho 

If you dont and a lipo does go off the build up of pressure could make it explode

Many thanks for the top tip :good:

The not-so-funny thing is that I've just adjusted the seal so that it's fully airtight now so I best sort that out asap.

• Haha 1