• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw or Zorro (brushed)?

Malachite

Looking for something relatively inexpensive so I can join the boy when he takes his Phantom out.

I like the look of both the Outlaw and the Zorro and can get them both for just over £100 without battery and charger (which I don't need).

Are they both equally straight-forward to upgrade to brushless later on, if that's what I decide to do?

And I assume they will both run 2S LiPo out of the box......

TIA

1 minute ago, Malachite said:

Looking for something relatively inexpensive so I can join the boy when he takes his Phantom out.

I like the look of both the Outlaw and the Zorro and can get them both for just over £100 without battery and charger (which I don't need).

Are they both equally straight-forward to upgrade to brushless later on, if that's what I decide to do?

And I assume they will both run 2S LiPo out of the box......

TIA

Mate, is prefer to go to a brushless one, when the time past, you want to go for a brushless electronics for sure, this hobby is very addictive, for a few more you have a brushless car and go in 3S, more speed and better performance. Between the two models, is a personal choice, aestethic question.

There is a whole thread devoted to the FTX Outlaw.....and while it seems to have some issues ( well...you expect that at the price point it's sold at ) it is easy enough to upgrade and keep it together.

Stock cheap brushless motors tend to die pretty fast on LiPo , they get hot and cook.... but from what I read, a basic brushless upgrade isn't hard to do. For someone with stuff just spare, it's a no brainer.

If you don;t have that spare pile with a motor and ESC ..... and have to shell out £80 to upgrade.... the brushless option may be a better choice out of the box.

Really depends whether or not you would be happy with the performance of a brushed setup, and how long it would stand LiPo before it needed help!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Malachite said:

I've decided on the Zorro, purely down to its look.

I also couldn't resist and have ordered a cheap brushless combo from Banggood.........!

If you value it for looks, take the shell off out the box and re enforce it with fiberglass tape, mostly around the front and rear corners, they crack very easily and are quickly ruined.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redback said:

If you value it for looks, take the shell off out the box and re enforce it with fiberglass tape, mostly around the front and rear corners, they crack very easily and are quickly ruined.

Good advice mate.