• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Big Brute

Crazy L

John Booth.  I'm a bit further on than this now and I'not raken a lot of pics, but will document it a bit more this weekend in regards to what I've done since.

Stay tuned

• Like 1

Having owned a Big Brute as my first RC kit car when I was 12 (saved up all my present and pocket money for a year) I remember the wheel adaptors being a tad fragile.  They used to break into two after a fashion.  Probably down to some tolerance issue making it easy to slightly over tighten the wheel nuts or something.

So with that in mind, I made these.  the plastic ones on this one are all still in one piece, so I thought I'd bypass that issue before I get to it.

20210819_192206.jpg

• Like 1

Next up, was the transmission.  I don't have any photos of that in bits but I ballraced it, and I mean I ballraced the lot.   Sized up the bushings and went in search for bearings.   So diff and reduction gear are smooth now.  

I also cleaned all the manky old grease off and re lubed them with something more modern.

The last thing I did to the tranny was chuck the poo brass pinion in the bin and purchase a nice machined steel pinion from RW Racing.  That should see things last a little longer. 

As can be seen from the pic in the first post, there is a rear motor guard in place of the front bumper.  It came with a front bumper, but it looked like this:

20210819_192326.jpg

Also, two of the mounting bosses for the front bumper were snapped off but included.  So I cleaned them off, then glued them on with Loctite 3090, and let it cure for a day or 2.  As you might be able to see, I also reinforced around the other bosses with Loctite, just to add a little something.

20210819_192601.jpg

20210819_192618.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A few pictures of my old one I moved on earlier this year after struggling to replace the tyres, it always seemed fragile compared to my mates Tamiya’s but it looked the bollocks 30+ years ago 😁

C7CCF07B-262E-44D9-8DDD-48AB5B4EE4E8.thumb.jpeg.765f64b21b6e87c25510779f01825b1e.jpeg

F09DE3B1-5AB1-4758-92E2-146C806D53E0.thumb.jpeg.92890e7886a739f926da22188ce22936.jpeg

2C45BF83-00B5-4BBA-9B31-E5B48B597F41.thumb.jpeg.7338a2f32dde07c2cf538f05b30ee87b.jpeg

...and there's me thinking I was on my own in having a Big Brute in this day and age.  I'm thinking of getting some wintergreen to try and renovate my tyres a little, in the way of suppleness or something.  They are still in good shape with no signs of perishing yet.  

Loving the Brute again.   Took it out last friday and the shocks made a hell of a difference.  I know it's never gonna be anything but, but I enjoy doing things to improve older cars, even if it's just the tiniest thing.

In fact, Just got rid of that hideous toe out the back end does when the suspension is compressed, It now retains it's toe in instead.  How?  I swapped the hubs over, and as such, moved the wishbone shock mounting to the rear of the top wishbone, instead of the front. 

• Like 1

I can't believe you still have a mechanical speedo in that.  I remember the ceramic on mine crumbling away.  Period or not, I wouldn't be using one of those, I spent too long looking at ads in mags dreaming about having an esc to warrant going back, lol.

• Like 1