• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Carson Montana nitro

Madmoz7610

Looking at buyin a Carson Montana nitro truck soon, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this truck and if there's anyway of updating it as parts are few an far between lol, apparently it's brand new ( never ran) so what's the recommended % nitro fuel to run in it? Had a quick look an it's only a .18 engine so guessing no higher than 20%, any recommendations and tips greatly appreciated 

Edited by Madmoz7610

• 2 weeks later...

My Carson Montana nitro will be delivered sometime next week, IL post pics an updates here for anyone interested in it 🙂 cant wait to bash it around jus can't go too crazy as it's very rare and there's no parts available for it. Hopefully il be able to retro fit from other brands but won't know until i have to replace anything, luckily the spur gear is metal not plastic so that's 1 thing that I won't have to find but the arms an diffs will be my biggest problem as far as I'm aware there's nothin out there that remotely resembles it in any way lol anyway happy bashing guys an girls 

On 25/08/2021 at 22:39, Madmoz7610 said:

My Carson Montana nitro will be delivered sometime next week, IL post pics an updates here for anyone interested in it 🙂 cant wait to bash it around jus can't go too crazy as it's very rare and there's no parts available for it. Hopefully il be able to retro fit from other brands but won't know until i have to replace anything, luckily the spur gear is metal not plastic so that's 1 thing that I won't have to find but the arms an diffs will be my biggest problem as far as I'm aware there's nothin out there that remotely resembles it in any way lol anyway happy bashing guys an girls 

I had one of these many years ago 👍 It’s basically a 1/8 buggy with wider offset wheels and truck body fitted.

Its based on the Specter 1 buggy so it’s possible that later Specter parts may fit .

The model no.s are identical except for the last digit .

The manuals for both are in this link a few rows down     https://www.carson-modelsport.com/en/service/manuals/?lp=2&ln=90&ls=name-asc&ps=

2 hours ago, tomr said:

I had one of these many years ago 👍 It’s basically a 1/8 buggy with wider offset wheels and truck body fitted.

Its based on the Specter 1 buggy so it’s possible that later Specter parts may fit .

The model no.s are identical except for the last digit .

The manuals for both are in this link a few rows down     https://www.carson-modelsport.com/en/service/manuals/?lp=2&ln=90&ls=name-asc&ps=

Amazing cheers buddy, been lookin for a manual for it, don't suppose u remember what % fuel u ran in it? 

26 minutes ago, Madmoz7610 said:

Amazing cheers buddy, been lookin for a manual for it, don't suppose u remember what % fuel u ran in it? 

No probs bud👍
I ran pretty much everything on 25% , the Montana has a 21 engine so 20-25% will be perfect 

42 minutes ago, tomr said:

No probs bud👍
I ran pretty much everything on 25% , the Montana has a 21 engine so 20-25% will be perfect 

Awesome was gona run on 20 but think IL jus get 25, and cheers for the info on the spectre, lookin at the parts catalog most will fit from the newer version 👍 so now I can bash it about an not baby it around lol, will post pics and Vids of it once it's ran in. Gona be racing against my brother in law's Savage X with a 5.9 and 3 speed lol 

My carnage on 3s can keep up with an xmaxx so hopefully the Montana keeps up with the savage, he's paid over a grand for the xmaxx an annoyed my little £200 bargain keeps up, he's spent close to a grand rebuilding his savage an would be epic if the Monty keeps up with that too lol iv spent about 500 ATM on both RCS an he's already into 2k on his 🤣😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Madmoz7610 said:

Awesome was gona run on 20 but think IL jus get 25, and cheers for the info on the spectre, lookin at the parts catalog most will fit from the newer version 👍 so now I can bash it about an not baby it around lol, will post pics and Vids of it once it's ran in. Gona be racing against my brother in law's Savage X with a 5.9 and 3 speed lol 

My carnage on 3s can keep up with an xmaxx so hopefully the Montana keeps up with the savage, he's paid over a grand for the xmaxx an annoyed my little £200 bargain keeps up, he's spent close to a grand rebuilding his savage an would be epic if the Monty keeps up with that too lol iv spent about 500 ATM on both RCS an he's already into 2k on his 🤣😂

Deffo post some pics and vids bud I’m looking forward seeing it go 👍

33 minutes ago, Madmoz7610 said:

Battery's came a while ago, will have it ran in tomoz and videos and pics tomoz evening 🙂 cant wait to hear it rip around lol 

Nice one mate 👍 That brings back memories.
If it starts bleeding all it’s power out the front wheels you might want to stick some diff oil I’ll in the centre diff .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomr said:

Nice one mate 👍 That brings back memories.
If it starts bleeding all it’s power out the front wheels you might want to stick some diff oil I’ll in the centre diff .

Cheers buddy, can't wait to start the run in, bought 20 venom aa's and a charger for it, iv got some 550cst shock oil, would that be ok in the diff? The remote is proper old school an uses crystals 🤨 havnt seen them in yrs 😂 need to get hold of a decent looking body now as don't want to destroy the montana body, looks too good to bash about. 

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

Good luck with it mate :good:

Cheers buddy, hopefully it lasts longer than the carnage has 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

it should its not ftx :cheers:

True, I do like my ftx tho, well now it's nearly all carbon and ali 😂 but Carson seem to build some tough buggys so fingers crossed it lasts longer than 2 trips out, as that's all the carnage lasted before needing a complete rebuild and new parts 😂

2 minutes ago, tomr said:

@Madmoz7610 Something between 30-50k diff oil would be good  but see you go first it might be fine.

Awesome IL order some just incase I need it, I do have some high temp JCB machine greese so could put a load of that in it if it starts to send more power to the front or rear, running on 25% fuel and the book ses that's only if racing it.... Well everyday out is a race day jus against my brother in law 😂

• Like 2

Well today didn go as planned, ran a tank of 15% nitro fuel through it an then the glow igniter ran out of juice 🤣 gona attempt to run another tank tomoz an then switch to 25% and tune it to that. got a feeling the tires ain't gona last that long as they have quite a few cracks in the side walls, probably from bein soo old lol so gona run them till they fall apart an then buy some new tires an fit to original wheels if it's possible, did test fit some badlands but the rear tire is very close to the exhaust so fear I might melt them 🤣🤣 but over all very happy with it and can't wait to get it out an about tomoz, will post videos tomoz if I can get it running right 

10 hours ago, Madmoz7610 said:

Also the receiver Arial is mega long, gona have to cut it down a fair bit but not sure if that's gona give me less range or not lol 

😂 I remember those .

Stuff the excess into the receiver box 

1 hour ago, tomr said:

😂 I remember those .

Stuff the excess into the receiver box 

Cheers for the info buddy, I was gona cut it but thought I'd hold off jus incase u replied , jus stuffed the excess into the receiver box so hopefully I can get it runnin later, need a new carb for it tho as the one screw is missin, hopefully I can blag a carb off my brother in law as he has 2 tomahawk engines both blown up due to run aways lol  

Well the carb didn turn up today so been sortin out some of the other bits that needed doin lol put the Ariel through the body usin some left over fuel line, an also changed the grey fuel lines for some orange, also sorted the brakes out so now it's actually goin to stop lol. 

got purple fuel filter an cooler comin Saturday hopefully.  

Also got a starter set comin tomoz so can run it when I want without havin to badger my brother in law to charge his igniter lol 

With a bit of luck the new carb comes tomoz so I can finally run it in 🤞🤠 

Saturday IL have to get some videos of his savage 21 with a dynamite engine racing against the Montana both goin to be runnin 25% fuel only difference is he's got 2 speed an IV jus got the 1 lol 

IMG_20210908_174839.jpg

IMG_20210907_211853.jpg

• Like 1

Well today I had it running, ran 6 tanks of 25% fuel,  2 I recorded but the last 4 I couldn hold the phone an run it, IL post the vids in the next post. 

Had it racing a xmaxx an it's not quite as fast off the mark but it soon catches it lol and if I'm already goin the xmaxx can't catch it 🤠🤣 can't wait for Saturday to run it again lol

Edited by Madmoz7610
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmoz7610 said:

Well today I had it running, ran 6 tanks of 25% fuel,  2 I recorded but the last 4 I couldn hold the phone an run it, IL post the vids in the next post. 

Had it racing a xmaxx an it's not quite as fast off the mark but it soon catches it lol and if I'm already goin the xmaxx can't catch it 🤠🤣 can't wait for Saturday to run it again lol

Nice one mate 👍